Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

redirecting old product pages....

Options
  • 17-06-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hey, I had a load of products in my site now they're either sold out or deleted, Google will penalise me for having these broken links on my site, what re direct method should I use to re direct all these broken links Google has picked up back to my homepage, 301, 303 or something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 irishd

If a page is gone & not coming back, and if it has inward links, then you should use a 301 redirect to send anything requesting it to the closest relevant page on your site (in the case of products, redirect either to a replacement product, or to the category page).

If on Apache, you can usually do this in a .htaccess file (read up on mod_rewrite), on IIS you could use ISAPI_rewrite or some custom code.

Theres a good article on SEOMOZ on handling expired content:

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-should-you-handle-expired-content

Advertisement