Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many "Paid Professional" V "Pleasure" Photographer

• 17-06-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

I've always wondered this about the members of the photography forum, how many of you guys (and girls) shoot purely for pleasure or how many do it as a full time profession?

I know I've seen a number of folk mention they have avoided paid work to keep the pleasure factor.

So, pleasure or work? Or both?

What's your photographer category? 84 votes

Pleasure Only!
    0%
    Full-time Profession
    90%
    OSiriSsamhailalbRewJimdr strangelovetommycahirTenshotGregor SamsaDadesbullpostGoolay11811Lambsbreadrun_Forrest_runMorporksuperflyninjasmashjohngalwaythe_tractor 76 votes
    A little bit of Column A, a little bit of Column B...
    9%
    kensutzsunny2004Paddy@CIRL[Deleted User]The SnipeVisionaryPthe_doctor199sebphoto 8 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I only shoot for pleasure but my full time profession is selling those photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

humberklog wrote: »
    I only shoot for pleasure but my full time profession is selling those photos.

I knew I'd forget some combo :)

ronanc15 wrote: »
    I knew I'd forget some combo :)

:) I'm really not being being awkward, that's what I do. Your poll is missing the Artistic end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

full time pro for about 5 years but back to packaging work since April to get a regular income.

Borderfox wrote: »
    full time pro for about 5 years but back to packaging work since April to get a regular income.

I'm guessing you're not alone there, I'd be surprised if there wasn't more posters in the same position.

• Advertisement

What's packaging work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Full-time Profession
    only take pics for pleasure. haven't made a cent off photography ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I work as an assistant photographer....
    What I do in my working time I don't really feel matters as thats just work.
    It all kinda happened bye accident really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Pleasure mainly but I've had a few little jobs from it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

both, but for now will only do paid that interests me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Finishing up professional photography client work this month but still taking photographs as part of my profession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What's packaging work?

what I worked at before photography, machine operator on large packaging machinery.

photography work was very hard to get in from the start if the year with a total of approx 20 weddings booked for this year. i got an offer I couldnt refuse back in the same type of work I did before and jumped at it. completing what I have left for this year and then back to a hobbiest.

five great years as a pro and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

In my third year as a pro but can definitely appreciate Borderfox's position - always feels like I'm constantly looking over my shoulder at pending doom, yet I'm blessed with an annually contracted client which makes up 95% of my work each year. I guess it's the sort of all my eggs in one basket sort of thing.

Don't regret a second of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Guess I'm about 65% photographer and 35% video editor, so 100% visual. Rates in both are at about pre 2000 levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

:) I'm really not being being awkward, that's what I do. Your poll is missing the Artistic end of the spectrum.

I was just thinking that :) Column C here too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Full time since February, as I was made redundant. Most of what I've done so far is portfolio building stuff though, so I haven't really made much money, yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I take photos at work so we don't have to hire a professional.

sineadw wrote: »
    I was just thinking that :) Column C here too...

Sorry guys, didn't mean to neglect the artistic segment, just didn't pop in to my head at the time of writing. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

My career isn't a pro photographer, but I'm lucky enough to sell stuff each year that amounts to about 1/3 of my career salary.

I would never want to do this full time unless I had big backing or some patron or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I sort of fell into photography. I started to going to races as a journalist and happened to get myself into a position to start shooting and from the start really enjoyed it but it's still just a hobby for me at present, hopefully over time it can turn into something more! Gotta say fair play to anyone who manages to make a living from it, must be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I try and keep it half and half. I love photography and I tend to find that if something you love becomes a full time job you start to see it as a burden at times and then the spark starts to go. I learned from loving film growing up then getting deep into the film business, I grew to despise most actors I at one time admired. The hours were ridiculous on some shows and the studio pretty much dictated any kind of real creative expression especially if it was a big budget production. It's nice getting paid for some photo work but at the same time I like it a lot more as a hobby and something I can do to express myself and try to show how I see the world. I give away prints as gifts now and then but I sell them too so really I just try and keep a healthy balance going. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I used take photos just for my own enjoyment,with no intention of making money from it,then I went to an event my friend was in and started took a few pictures of that. He managed to sell a lot of the pictures to other people doing the same thing,which made me think of actually selling the pictures i've taken.

I'm not making a living from it,but it's covered the costs of my gear and then some

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

I went full time as a photographer 3 years ago, having been part time for about 3 years before that. I supplemented my income for the first couple of years with some training consultancy, but 100% of my income is now from photography. It's tough going, but with careful planning and a decent business acumen, it pays the bills. It's very easy to get caught up doing the 'fun' stuff and forgetting that you're running a business, but once you get a grasp of that fact, you're off to a good start. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Advertisement