Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare housing list

Options
  • 17-06-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Myself and my girlfriend are expecting a baby and we want to apply to the council for a house. Does anyone know how long the waiting list is? Also is it quicker to apply as a couple or for my girlfriend to apply as a single mother?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

There is no such thing as a waiting list anymore, you go put your name down and yes its still on a points basis but you will never know what you score

I got a letter giving me a log in number and password and each week between a monday morning and close of business on tuesday you can log into a website which shows you what you are eligible for (two people with a baby or one person with a baby will get an apartment NOT a house) then if you see something you like you log your interest...they then take all the people who are interested in a particular place and who ever is the most needy or the most points they get it - thats how its working where I am so I presume its the same all over the country

Also if you are planning on letting your GF apply as a single mother and she gets somewhere and then you move in too thats lying and unfair on all other applicants who have been honest...not very nice of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

edellc wrote: »

Also if you are planning on letting your GF apply as a single mother and she gets somewhere and then you move in too thats lying and unfair on all other applicants who have been honest...not very nice of you
    This doesn't seem to bother many people. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

is it not fraud though and therefore the OP would be defrauding the system which is illegal and actually yes it does bother me and a lot of people I know, and the OP asking that question is basically asking is this okay to defraud the system which is against the forum charter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

Putting your name down on the housing list doesnt mean you will automatically get a property straight away. These things take years. If you and your partner are not working then you can apply for rent allowance. To receive this you will need to put your names down on the housing list for your area. I was on the housing list for four years before i was invited to apply for properties each week on the councils website. I would show my interest and depending on who was highest on the list for a particular property, they would get first choice to accept it or refuse. You only get 2 chances. Luckily i accepted an offer for a 2 bed apartment in March and i am in here now waiting to go back to college. If your girlfriend applys as a single parent and you move in with her then your opening a can of worms there cause you will get caught out eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sm1986

im not planning on committing fraud. the living arrangements arent ideal at the moment as she is living at home and i spend a good bit of time there too. if its quicker for her to get a place as a single mother then that will be the route we'd take. i wouldnt move in for quite awhile as im well aware that its not worth the risk of getting caught. however after 5 or 6 months have passed i would have my name added to the rent book and would pay the expected rise in rent and do everything by the book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement