Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We were tweeting before Twitter

• 17-06-2012 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

anyone else remember Tweet.ie?
    when Boards was down for "maintenance" back in the day, we used to all congregate there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

no

What he said! How long ago are we talikng?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hah I remember that, that was a long time ago. Must have been 3/4 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I tried to congregate there now and I ended up back here. Fcukin thing sucks !

Piste wrote: »
    Hah I remember that, that was a long time ago. Must have been 3/4 years ago.

im on boards 6 years and this thread is the first ive heard of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

im on boards 6 years and this thread is the first ive heard of it

Maybe everyone was really just trying to ditch you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I typed tweet.ie into chrome and it redirected me to boards ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yep, remember it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Since when did 3/4 years become a long time ago? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Why did the hipster burn his tongue?

Because he drank his coffee before it got cool!

/getscoat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Twitter was around 3/ 4 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

So, was Tweet.ie around before Twitter?

If so, is the name similarity just coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Boards used to be a lot more bloated with weird little side-sites like an email service, Tweet, the Biki and all the different boards.uk/nz/usa stuff. I guess they took it all down because they were shite.

I miss the biki and tweet.ie. It was a lot of fun when people would chat while boards was down for maintenance.

Probably fell victim to the boards hack a few years ago - the international sites went at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I remember tweet.ie

It was during the dark days when boards.ie's server couldnt handle it's popularity and was going down quite often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It's funny how much the site's changed in the last two or three years. Nobody pisses off in a strop anymore because the site's gotten all "corporate." No big goodbye threads when people move on either. They all just quietly close their accounts and slink off into anonymity. There aren't any sitewide scandals either like with the flight of the Poker forum users or whatever happened with the Lolocaust forum. The average user nowadays just doesn't have the same unhinged attachment to the site as the old guard did.

It's funny how much the site's changed in the last two or three years. Nobody pisses off in a strop anymore because the site's gotten all "corporate." No big goodbye threads when people move on either. They all just quietly close their accounts and slink off into anonymity. There aren't any sitewide scandals either like with the flight of the Poker forum users or whatever happened with the Lolocaust forum. The average user nowadays just doesn't have the same unhinged attachment to the site as the old guard did.

still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've often heard of the poker scandal but I didn't witness it... Could somebody link me some relevant threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

So when boards went down it just directed to the twitter account for boards.ie?

Amazing.

Also I do vaguely remember this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

chin_grin wrote: »
    So when boards went down it just directed to the twitter account for boards.ie?

Amazing.

Also I do vaguely remember this...

It wasnt a twitter account it was a sort of a chat page custom made for boards while it was down where you could leave tweet like messages and a message from devore or someone kept people in the loops on what was happeneing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

still going strong

He meant when Chris and a few others left the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If I remember tweet.ie was heavily spammed any time I went onto it. Only realised now the biki is gone. It was popular around 2004-2006 I think. Trailed off then.

What was the lolocaust scandal? Remember a load of stuff about poker and plenty of soccer things but not lolocaust one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I vaguely remember it. The Wayback Machine has some snapshots.... looks like it was registered by Boards Ltd. in February 2008. Twitter launched in July 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

I've often heard of the poker scandal but I didn't witness it... Could somebody link me some relevant threads?

This^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

anyone else remember Tweet.ie?
    when Boards was down for "maintenance" back in the day, we used to all congregate there.

I remember it. Someone pretended to be Degsy, slagged off cult and got him sitebanned until it was all cleared up.

Advertisement