Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lift to grad in garda car

Options
  • 18-06-2012 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am going to my grad in august and i live in wexford. i am wanting to arrive in style so i came up with the idea of trying to get a garda lift out... does anyone know if it can be done and would the gaurds do it for me ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Why a garda car? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXCivicMadXx

I want to do sumtin different

I want to do sumtin different

Fair enough, But I personly think they wouldnt as they would be out catching the bad guys and dont think they are there to bring young yans to their grad. But you could call into your local garda station and ask. Im fairly sure youd get the answer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unless it was a Garda mate, no, and only then if they had the okay by their Super.

I'm sure the Gardai bring you from the grads to the station if you do something stupid, though :P

all the garda cars are not used at once there is always a few left there so what if i paid a garda that was off duty that nite ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

all the garda cars are not used at once there is always a few left there so what if i paid a garda that was off duty that nite ???

No way should/would they take money. Perhaps a visit to the station and maybe a donation to a charity might be suggested but a garda can't take money off you for a lift in a squad car. They're not a taxi service.

Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

They can't take one unless it's on official business. There was new rules brought in after a drunk off-duty garda took a car and crashed it last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

What a ****ing stupid thread. Do you have nothing better to do other than think of ways you can stand out and be noticed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I am going to my grad in august and i live in wexford. i am wanting to arrive in style so i came up with the idea of trying to get a garda lift out... does anyone know if it can be done and would the gaurds do it for me ????

No chance.

• Advertisement

What a ****ing stupid thread. Do you have nothing better to do other than think of ways you can stand out and be noticed?

i dont like to be a part of a group and do things everone else does i just want to do sumting different so no need to be a big dickhead about its just un called for

Ah dont be so hard on the OP, he/she dont realse that the gards have better things to be at, then driving to a grad so someone can impress their friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

i dont like to be a part of a group and do things everone else does i just want to do sumting different so no need to be a big dickhead about its just un called for

Stop trying so hard. I almost feel sorry for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

These lads do American Cop Cars, probably the nearest thing your going to get in fairness, unless you happen to be related to a gard.

http://www.pinkcadillaccarhire.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

just go in an ice cream van..

+1 With the music playing... :pac:

hahaahaha thats a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

jaysus lads, the kid is about 17 and just asked a question, no need to go to town on him/her

hahaahaha thats a good one

Well how about some skangers civic? Your "civic mad" apparently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

ah leave the poor fella alone, OP, it's unlikely the gardaí would do it, imagine the reputable sunday rags getting a photo of it,
    but i'm sure if some desparado in the ministers office see this tread they might present it to mr shatter as a way of paying for the servicing of some high mileage garda cars. as a little money spinner for the state, but i think the closest you might get would be a commercial police car/limo for the moment.
    I saw this one parked up a few weeks ago waiting for a client, try them and see if they would travel to your part of the world.

http://www.dublinlimos.ie/sheriff.html

it would every bit as impressive, oh and congrats on your grad, and welcome to the real world!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

event wrote: »
    jaysus lads, the kid is about 17 and just asked a question, no need to go to town on him/her

im 17 and i answered him :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Didnt we a similar thread like this last year? Quite a stupid question to be honest. The gardai have limited resources as it is and arent just going to drive some teen to their grad night for the craic. They're a police service, not a taxi service. Some people....jaysus

I'm sure if you made a written request to the Garda press office (or your local station's Community Policing unit) then you will get your answer.

I'm no Garda, but I don't really think most stations would really care if their car was being used for that purpose; I think the bigger issue would be trying to justify having an on-duty Garda being paid to do something that's not really of any immediate benefit to the station.

I'm sure it'd be worth taking a stab at. Could possibly get onto the Garda press office or local paper and see if you could organise a photographer from the local paper to be there for your arrival to get you, the garda and the car at the grad.

A nice photo in the local paper portraying the local station to be full of sound guys and girls who are willing to have a laugh and help out with unusual requests (and just the general good 'pr' they'd get from it) might be a good reason for them to do it.

I know that in my local station they're often going on about finding ways to get more engrained in the local community to make teenagers believe that they're only human and that the Gardaí aren't "the enemy", so this kind of thing would be a pretty good way of doing that (and a grad is generally filled to the brim with late teens, so seeing a good side of AGS on such a night wouldn't be a bad thing).

I don't know what kind of success you'd have. I know of a few local teenagers who got a Garda community police patrol car and two uniforms a few years back from the station for a short film they were working on. I'm not sure how many hoops they'd to jump through to get them (and obviously they were supervised at all times) but it goes to show that the Gardaí will help out with things like this now and again.

You'd have a lot of persuading to do, but if you've your heart set on it, then I'd go for it. If you're just doing it to be 'cool' and 'interesting' then I wouldn't bother though. It'd be too much of an uphill battle.

Best of luck, either way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

There are a load of companies that run fire trucks converted to limos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

How much do the gardai charge to arrive with the siren on and blue lights flashing ?

Although it's fairly pointless - probably arrive at some dive of a hotel in the lashing rain while everyone else is inside getting drunk. You'll feel like a plonker and so will the guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I'm sorry now but 17 or not, you should realise that the guards are there for a reason and making you look cool isn't one of them.

There is a many other ways you could arrive in style to your grad, have a bit of common decency, don't make a fool of yourself by asking them and grow up a bit.

Motorist wrote: »
    How much do the gardai charge to arrive with the siren on and blue lights flashing ?

Although it's fairly pointless - probably arrive at some dive of a hotel in the lashing rain while everyone else is inside getting drunk. You'll feel like a plonker and so will the guard.

You forgot the "and pull a handbrake turn" part. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Motorist wrote: »

Would be cheaper to just go home in a cop car!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

In that case, have you considered walking?

• Advertisement

OP, if you had to make a donation on behalf of a garda to charity. How much would you doneate!?!?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement