Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable time to use degree

Options
  • 18-06-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hello all!
    I have just finished an engineering degree and am hoping to start a career soon. Having spent some time searching for a job it is becoming apparent to me that I may either need to buy a car or relocate or even emigrate. Each option will require money that I don't have right now. I'm thinking about getting a job unrelated to my field of study (call centre maybe).
    I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how long I can wait before I "use my degree". I assume it's not a big deal to wait a few months but what if it goes beyond that???
    Also I was hoping someone might have an opinion on how easy it is to find work abroad without experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm thinking about getting a job unrelated to my field of study (call centre maybe).
    Working is almost always better than not working, so if money is a concern, then yes, it’s not a bad idea to be working at something while looking for something else. I temped (in the financial sector) for the first few months after I did my engineering degree and it didn’t do me any harm in the long run – in fact I was offered a permanent position!
    I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how long I can wait before I "use my degree". I assume it's not a big deal to wait a few months but what if it goes beyond that???
    Also I was hoping someone might have an opinion on how easy it is to find work abroad without experience?
    Essentially both questions boil down to experience and demonstrable knowledge/skills – that is ultimately what employers are interested in. Getting a job without any relevant experience is always going to be difficult, regardless of the wider economic situation. I graduated when Ireland was supposedly booming, but I still had problems finding jobs I was interested in. Employers are always going to look for experience first, qualifications second. However, if, like me, you can make a case for doing some work just to get by (that’s far better than sitting around and waiting for the “right” job, which a lot of people will do, remember), then you can turn this into something positive to have on your CV. I think the only way this can work against you is if you end up spending years stuck in a call centre, but that’s obviously unlikely.

But, I would suggest that you consider all your options. It’s definitely not a bad idea to look further afield for more relevant positions – apart from anything else, work abroad looks very good on your CV. Not to mention that it will of course also broaden your horizons!

Advertisement