Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of an odd question (gaming magazine).

Options
  • 18-06-2012 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

So I've just remembered that there used to be a publication that was basically like nuts or zoo but that sold itself as a playstation mag! (IE had gaming content but tried to appeal to nerds by having 'hot' women in it. Sexism being alive and well in the late nineties!).

I'm definitely not imagining it, so does anyone remember this magazine?

Sorry for the lack of information, just trying to jog my memory (and win a bet! :pac:).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

There used to be one called PC Action Games. The idea was that they'd only review action games, I have issue 2.

They'd have models in their bra's on ever other page, sometimes holding graphics cards or some peripheral in a suggestive manner. Weird thing was they NEVER ONCE made any sort of reference to this at all, as if the publisher had just decided to sex it up at the last minute.

I can't find a single reference to this magazine anywhere online. I should upload a scan of it to preserve it for future generations.

Edit: Added a photo.
    Don't want to detract from the OP post, but would be interested if anyone remember this mag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I remember the Playstation magazine in question. I used to love it when I was about 13. It had everything I could have wanted- edgy jokes, lots of chicks, and more Resi 2 thank you could shake a stick at. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but I used to get it every month. Poor auld Lara used to get some amount of sleazy comments in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,690 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i know sega saturn magazine towards the end of its run took a long walk into the pervy bizarre stuff that came out of japan. The last few issues where half covering the upcoming dreamcast and half odd hentai games from japan.

They also ran a somewhat odd column on the last page where I think it was originally one of the writers but readers started submitting their own but it was all about *sexy* video game characters like Candy from fighting vipers etc

I do remember that one female reader wrote one about one of the virtua cop guys and put his gun to great use as a suggestive innuendo.

Hell I think they did one for the furries too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I think the OP's mag was Play. Could be wrong though, there were several PS mags out at the time. Think I had one copy covering one of the newer FIFA games but had women dressed in soccer jerseys and little else (or just covering themselves with footballs). Also Red Alert with a girl dressed up as a Russian soldier who would not have survived the winter of 1942 :P
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    i know sega saturn magazine towards the end of its run took a long walk into the pervy bizarre stuff that came out of japan. The last few issues where half covering the upcoming dreamcast and half odd hentai games from japan.

They also ran a somewhat odd column on the last page where I think it was originally one of the writers but readers started submitting their own but it was all about *sexy* video game characters like Candy from fighting vipers etc

I do remember that one female reader wrote one about one of the virtua cop guys and put his gun to great use as a suggestive innuendo.

Hell I think they did one for the furries too...

Think that was Sega Saturn Magazine, they pretty much had to cover the Dreamcast and Japanese games as there was barely any games in the last of the Saturns life :(

Only have one copy left, featured Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (the Saturn version with the extras the PS version never got) and had Morrigan on their "back page" wondering how she defies gravity with that top of hers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

TomCo wrote: »
    Edit: Added a photo.
    Don't want to detract from the OP post, but would be interested if anyone remember this mag.

Jaysus that is very out of place all right! (The model....uh...modelling the hardware...)

Actually I just want to set the record straight, I was just enquiring for nostalgias sake as I don't buy that thrash (nuts, zoo, etc). I have an internet connection fer feck sakes! :p

/highbrow...fixes monocle. :pac:
    deathrider wrote: »
    I remember the Playstation magazine in question. I used to love it when I was about 13. It had everything I could have wanted- edgy jokes, lots of chicks, and more Resi 2 than you could shake a stick at. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but I used to get it every month. Poor auld Lara used to get some amount of sleazy comments in it.

Yeah I remember actually laughing at a few of the articles...if you could call them that. Although I was a lot younger...therefore more easily amused.....Oooooh! A kitten!
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I think the OP's mag was Play. Could be wrong though, there were several PS mags out at the time. Think I had one copy covering one of the newer FIFA games but had women dressed in soccer jerseys and little else (or just covering themselves with footballs). Also Red Alert with a girl dressed up as a Russian soldier who would not have survived the winter of 1942 :P

This does sound VERY familiar...actually I think that's it! Cheers. <far away maudlin look>

Thanks for all your input guys. It's gas that I used to read games publications like this. Well it's more surprising that they existed in the first place....it sells n'all that! I've now 'graduated' on to games tm (and have for the past few years, great gaming magazine).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

The only game magazines i bought were Games Master and Powerstation, when i could afford them.
    I think i remember seeing one like you described, but it was talking about resident evil nemesis

Play could very possibly be the one, but I'm not finding anything from that era online. Just finding a bunch of later editions for PS3... Havving said that though, I'm really not trying very hard :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah I remember some playstation mag having bikini clad women in it, was strange, might have been Playstation Power or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I remember collecting a few different PS magazines and vaguely remember the scantily clad women that featured in them ;)

The names that pop into my head are Playstation Power, Playstation Plus, Play and Computer & Video Games.

I remember PS Power magazine used to give a few freebies every month which was great :D

I remember collecting a few different PS magazines and vaguely remember the scantily clad women that featured in them ;)

The names that pop into my head are Playstation Power, Playstation Plus, Play and Computer & Video Games.

I remember PS Power magazine used to give a few freebies every month which was great :D

After remembering something from it though. I think the cover(s) were white with a red logo on them. (And as mentioned before I think it was called Playstation Plus).

And these weren't just scantily clad...it was a gaming mag that was almost turning in to the likes of zoo or nuts as I'm after remembering one model just had her hands clasped over her chesticles! Shockin' Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The magazine you're thinking of is Playstation Plus alright. I found a load of them while having a clearout of my games mags a couple of years ago. (since been thrown in the bin I think!)

Here's some on ebay if you want to get an eyeful of the covers -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PlayStation-Plus-Magazine-May-1998-/130714711575?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item1e6f343617

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PlayStation-Plus-Magazine-July-1998-/130714712631?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item1e6f343a37

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PlayStation-Plus-Magazine-August-1998-/130714712158?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item1e6f34385e

• Registered Users Posts: 14,690 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Think that was Sega Saturn Magazine, they pretty much had to cover the Dreamcast and Japanese games as there was barely any games in the last of the Saturns life

It was Sega Saturn Magazine.

o1s1n wrote: »
    The magazine you're thinking of is Playstation Plus alright. I found a load of them while having a clearout of my games mags a couple of years ago. (since been thrown in the bin I think!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PlayStation-Plus-Magazine-May-1998-/130714711575?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item1e6f343617

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PlayStation-Plus-Magazine-July-1998-/130714712631?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item1e6f343a37

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PlayStation-Plus-Magazine-August-1998-/130714712158?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item1e6f34385e

That's them all right.

I'm a bit wary of "Item Condition: Used".....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »

That's the very one alright. I remember actually having those exact issues (and a crapload more too). I remember one where they were running an article about which is better- women or Playstation. It had some chick wearing just her underwear, smashing up a Playstation with a sledgehammer.

I'd actually quite like to read through a few old copies of it these days to see if it was as funny and outrageous as I once thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Used to get them every month too. The only one I remember was the one with the big Resi 2 feature. I also remember my Dad used to take them when i was finished to read them.

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Used to get them every month too. The only one I remember was the one with the big Resi 2 feature. I also remember my Dad used to take them when i was finished to read them.

Yep.

Big gamer was he ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Big gamer was he ;)

Well...no.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the last few issues of PS2 official magazine got pretty pervy, usually over one particular big titted blonde they pretty much hired, think she may have been an fhm girl next door candidate before she was found by the magazine.

Got a bit ridiculous, they were nearly talking about her more than the games. Didnt help that some of their writers were absolutely terrible!

Advertisement