Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

must have items to pack for oz?

Options
  • 18-06-2012 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

D-day is approaching in two weeks and trying to see what needs to be packed/shipped etc. if you had 20kg worth of free space what wud u pack( headin to sydney long term) apart from clothes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

warm clothes. Most places are equipped for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikester21

Well dont do what my idiot friends did and sell your laptop before you leave, you need a laptop for everything once you get here, jobs, house, furniture etc

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dietdiva

ha, i actually need a new laptop. i use the work laptop so will have to retun that before i go. i was going to buy one in sydney, thought prices mite be comparable enough for electrical items etc and would use internet in hostels for time-being.
    gud idea/bad idea???

Well yeah youd pick up a cheap laptop here for around $500 that would do, jb-hi or dick smith would normally have some deals on. Its the internet that could end up costing you, nearly everyone I knew got the vodafone mobile broadband which is an absolute rip off. If you have an iphone or similar id get a good data plan with Telstra when I land and use the pocket wifi

Thanks for that. will def look into the pocket wifi, wud that mean that my sim card wud be with telstra as well as wifi. will any simcard work with irish fones or whats the story there.

Sorry i'm so clueless.

• Advertisement

If you get your phone network unlocked it will work with any network here aswell, its quick and easy to do depending on what phone you have. Telstra is a network provider ya, so you could just get a sim card when you land. Most Irish end up getting vodafone for some reason but they dont work when you leave the cities

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Don't forget those all important hand weights

I won't lol, along with my dvd player and my 5workout dvds!! i kid you not!

Mikester21 wrote: »
    If you get your phone network unlocked it will work with any network here aswell, its quick and easy to do depending on what phone you have. Telstra is a network provider ya, so you could just get a sim card when you land. Most Irish end up getting vodafone for some reason but they dont work when you leave the cities

So i shud get it unlocked before i leave. Have ordered a new fone, got it free through vodafone for topping up with credit and earning "cherry points". It's a basic enough smartfone but mite do the job till i get the laptop.I had to get a smartfone for google maps, i have no sense of direction at all.

Yep unlock before you leave, google maps is essential for getting around alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'm planning on heading over myself in a few months. One important item that almost no one thinks of and I only thought of myself recently is a good pair of nail clippers!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

I'm planning on heading over myself in a few months. One important item that almost no one thinks of and I only thought of myself recently is a good pair of nail clippers!

fairly sure they have nail clippers in australia;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

adaptor plugs
    tea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Before you come over go to the doctor and get a check up and go to the dentist and get anything that needs it fixed. Trust me you don't want to spend the money it will cost you over here on them.

Great tips thanks, keep them coming. with regard to tea does it have to be in unopened box in its original packaging (kinda bulky for a suitcase) or can u put in zip-lock type of bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

You said long term so i would assume you will probably be going for a different visa at some stage.

All relevant paper work if you have a partner to prove defacto and get an apartment

Lease, bills, originals of degree or trade papers you will need to get notorised copies of these over here.

Stuff like that is hard to find when your over here and trying to tell your dad that its in the attic in some box somewhere!!

Advertisement