Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily Mail - why?

• 18-06-2012 4:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why do so many people criticise the Daily Mail here but so often when there is a link needed, the Mail is the one they use?

Know that the English version is a piece of paper that should only be used to soak up an old persons pee of the floor but the Irish one has good enough sport and decent puzzles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I like the daily mail and going by the amount of links to it here lots of people like it but will not admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

hondasam wrote: »
    I like the daily mail and going by the amount of links to it here lots of people like it but will not admit it.

Used to have to buy it for my ex - she loved the fashion/celeb/problem stuff.....and would leave me with the puzzle pages lol. Since then I still buy it but rarely go to anything other than the sport and puzzles :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

FanadMan wrote: »
    Know that the English version is a piece of paper that should only be used to soak up an old persons pee of the floor..........

Ageist

Its just as useful for soaking up a childs pee off the floor.

And mine when I finish the sudoku.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Just wondering why do so many people criticise the Daily Mail here but so often when there is a link needed, the Mail is the one they use?

Know that the English version is a piece of paper that should only be used to soak up an old persons pee of the floor but the Irish one has good enough sport and decent puzzles.

i dont think i've ever seen a poster reference the daily mail to back up a point tbh, we can all laugh at the stories alright, the samantha brick one i suppose being the most recent.

i prefer to buy the sun myself, also a shít newspaper, but it doesnt try to pretend to be anything else, plus the coffee time crossword is handy, the page 3 is easy on the eye, and the dear deirdre pages are always good for a giggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Why any tabloid? Just not worth paying for yesterday's news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

we link it to laugh at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

The mail is great for soccer transfer rumours, especially ones that are completely fabricated.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Incredible site lay-out.

The website is also designed to give you the most incredible and anger inducing stories available. They perfectly target certain demographics of people and provide them with stories that will cause them great distress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Jorah wrote: »
    Incredible site lay-out.

The website is also designed to give you the most incredible and anger inducing stories available. They perfectly target certain demographics of people and provide them with stories that will cause them great distress.

Delighted to know I am not in their target demographic zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No good for news of any consequence though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Popular on AH as it is the AH version in the newspaper world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Why any tabloid? Just not worth paying for yesterday's news.

Some newspapers such as The Times actually talk to the people - not down to them!
    Also the same papers that do so, also provide detailed deep breakdown of a subject which with the aid of pictures and graphs, help matter to become clearer than a 30 second news-bite on a nine o'clock news or a flash across a radio.
    Feature articles in fact have help me understand quite a lot of things. I get educated more.
    I might disagree sometimes with their conclusions but some better quality papers has provided me with more 'meat on the bone' of a subject than a three word headline across the likes of the Sun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

For all the panning of the Mail, it's one of the few papers to actually expose corruption by Irish politicians - especially in relation to expenses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The website is well designed
    Load it up and you've over 50 stories in front of you, probably 100

It has the best photos I've seen of any paper and that's where the website excels
    Stuff like space or nature, ice or the deep sea or interesting stories about Victorian London. :)

The articles have a ridiculous amount of errors and lack of fact checking.
    Mixing up counties and countries and towns.
    Yesterdays article about a man in Austria and then talking about German law. :confused:
    The workers badly need an atlas
    Read an article about aviation and you will cry with the amount of errors.

The worst part is the headlines.
    Sometimes the articles are decent but the headlines are there to whip up a storm ;)
    Yesterdays article about pork been banned in school lunchs and they blamed it on Muslim groups.
    But the article showed that no Muslims had complained, it was a decision just taken by the council

Many people are lazy, people read the headline, don't read the article and go straight to the comment section with anger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

The Mail & The Sun were vermently anti Irish during the '70's & 80's in Britain. :mad: So much so that I would personally never buy either paper since.

Good to see the leopards have changed their spots, although more than likely they saw a potential new market & expolited it. :D

For all the panning of the Mail, it's one of the few papers to actually expose corruption by Irish politicians - especially in relation to expenses etc.

Thats because they are:
    1. So big and powerful, any influence the government might think they have, is negligible and passing.
    2. Basically untouchable, unlike Irish newspapers which to a certain extent are under more direct influence/pressure. The likes of the Mail can chop and change daily on positions (and it does) unlike the likes of the Indo' or the Irish Times (just for example) which stays loyal to maybe one side or the other, for a lot longer.
    3. Have the money alone to far more afford the stupid prices that journalists have to pay for every FOI (Freedom Of Information) application to the state. The cost of each single application is just under one thousand Euros per single document.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Biggins wrote: »
    Some newspapers such as The Times actually talk to the people - not down to them!
    Also the same papers that do so, also provide detailed deep breakdown of a subject which with the aid of pictures and graphs, help matter to become clearer than a 30 second news-bite on a nine o'clock news or a flash across a radio.
    Feature articles in fact have help me understand quite a lot of things. I get educated more.
    I might disagree sometimes with their conclusions but some better quality papers has provided me with more 'meat on the bone' of a subject than a three word headline across the likes of the Sun!

I wouldn't want to be listening to Murdoch.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't read any tabloids, I don't consider there content to be trustworthy or reliable. Every sentence is loaded to try and get an emotional response out of people, and while they're only doing it for money it's a terrible abuse of the public.
    3. Have the money alone to far more afford the stupid prices that journalists have to pay for every FOI (Freedom Of Information) application to the state. The cost of each single application is just under one thousand Euros per single document.
    Seriously? I would have thought something like that would be free or have a basic administration fee of a few euros. That's just freedom of information for rich people, poor people can remain ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you're looking for a newspaper that bashes immigrants and has pics of britney's latest camel toe, it's the very publication for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

One onlooker commented "He asks, why? I ask, why not?"

ScumLord wrote: »
    Seriously? I would have thought something like that would be free or have a basic administration fee of a few euros. That's just freedom of information for rich people, poor people can remain ignorant.
    For the likes of seeing medical info and stuff like that which is personal to you, the cost is very cheap. See here.

However for application to see government files/records (non-relating to yourself), the charges jump massively.
    They were low till a few years ago when (by coincidence?) after a few scandals was exposed regarding Irish political expenses, the charges for applying for such single information on any person or department topic (and your application had to be very exact) suddenly rose!
    There was a lot of giving out at the time when the charges suddenly rose pertaining to media applications for info -and it was/is suspected that the charges are kept particularly high still as to try slow/stop anyone trying to dig too much into what the government does not want you to find out.
    Further more the documents that you used to get in detail and thickness, are now slimmed down and a lot of stuff is redacted for a myriad of excuses that the government has lately come up with.

See this document for higher charges: www.tascnet.ie/upload/file/An%20Economic%20Argument.pdf
    From 2009.
    7. Taking €425 as the average cost in 2003 (when that estimate was made), let us further
    assume that €425 represents a reasonable average cost over the 11 years of FOI'$ operation
    (1998-2009) for which statisties are available. We know from the annual reports of the Office
    of the Information Commissioner how many FOI requests were made across the public
    service. In the twelvevear period 1998-2009, a total of 156,685 requests were made.
    Putting these figures together, one can estimate that the total cost of administering FOI
    requests over twelve years was €66.6 million (156,685 x €425).’° This is a tiny fraction of
    overall govemment spending during this period. The small scale of spending on FOI is shown
    below in relation to 2009.

8. The cost of FDI in 2009 can also be estimated. A total of 14,290 requests were made in 2009.
    Assuming the average cost was €485 per request (i.e. €425 plus inflation since 2003), the
    operating cost of FOI in 2009 was €6.9 million (14,290 x €485).

Since then the charges have gone up to 700/800 Euro per single application for a single (has to be exact) document.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to be listening to Murdoch.:P

Well you take the political and government stuff VERY cautiously.
    The journalists though write some very great stuff in their feature articles on history, maritime, technology and other worldly subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I had never seen the Daily Mail website until 5 minutes ago.

I never want to see it again.

Sweet Jesus,there`s a lot going on there,isn`t there? I feel a bit dizzy.

Nice picture of a mushroom cloud storm though...just scroll down for 15 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I love it. I both buy the Irish paper one and read the online one (there's very little crossover most of the time). I used to spend a fortune on trashy magazines, mostly to fulfill my need to read absolute rubbish, but now I just read the Daily Mail. Costs next to nothing and can be suprisingly interesting (the Irish paper one anyway, the online one is just a gossip site). It does let you submit judgemental comments about people you don't know though, which as anyone who frequents AH will know, is always fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol at everyone in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Why?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Well you take the political and government stuff VERY cautiously.
    The journalists though write some very great stuff in their feature articles on history, maritime, technology and other worldly subjects.

The Times: A great newspaper as long as you ignore the 'news' part of it.

• Advertisement

The Times: A great newspaper as long as you ignore the 'news' part of it.

You have to certainly take parts of it very cautiously.
    Having said that, everyone should be taking every newspaper just as carefully as well.
    Some papers are very open as to what way they sway politically - others are very subtle and clever - thus one should always read something and not just accept it as gospel. Sadly some do though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's a disgusting rag.

People probably post links to it because, for better or worse, its stories do generate discussion, get a laugh, make you cringe, etc.

Everything except inform you.

Other newspapers have various flaws, but the Daily Mail is a shameless piece of sh*t.

My parents buy it unfortunately.

Advertisement