Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fertility test

• 18-06-2012 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Scanned 2 1st calvers on saturday for the second time that have been with the bull since last oct/nov. i bought the hfrs oct 10 and spent alot on them because i hoped have them as cows for ever more. for some reason i dont think the hfrs are the problem.

The bull got lame soon after goin into the shed last oct and it took him the best part of the winter to get over this and also took a course of betamox. he has other cows in calf but i think looking at date he got these before the antibotics. its my opinion i have a problem with the bull and was wondering is the anyone in the midlands area the does fertility testing for bulls??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

so they are with the bull 8 months have you seen heats?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cuddlylad

im a part time farmer so the times i would be looking at them wouldnt be the best times to see them in heat. Scanner man says they seem to be cylcing. the problem here is i need to let the bull into the spring calvers and need to know if he is working before i do this or other wise calving will be all over the feckin place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

how many was the bull with?? if the bull was infertile as a result of a elevated temperature (i presume there was an infection as you used betamox) this should only ne temparory, let him out and tailpaint the first ones he bulls (after they have gone out of heat) and watch them in 3 weeks for repeats - still the best fertility test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

I reckon if you contact some of the purebred cattle societies they should be able to point you in the right direction, or go through the adds for bullls on done deal,find one in your general area thats been tested ,ring the owner and ask him, somebody will have a number for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ring progressive genetics, they used to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

whelan1 wrote: »
    ring progressive genetics, they used to do it
    Agree, any of the AI companies will either do it or point you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cuddlylad

thanks for all the replies and suggestions,
    got the bull tested on saturday and he is very fertile!! like his owner i guess:D!! thank good for that. easier replace the hfrs than the bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

cuddlylad wrote: »
    thanks for all the replies and suggestions,
    got the bull tested on saturday and he is very fertile!! like his owner i guess:D!! thank good for that. easier replace the hfrs than the bull.
    Good to hear, both you and the bull ;).

Out of interest, who/ where did you get him tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

That's a relief ,do you mind me asking how much did it cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

Is he shooting blanks?

• Advertisement
Advertisement