Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watching DVDs more than once.

• 18-06-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Do you ever watch DVDs a second time or is it a case of once you've seen it, there's no chance you'd ever watch it again?

I watched the entire box set of The Wire (over a shortish period of time) a few years ago, and loved it so much, I decided when the friend I subsequently lent it to returned it, I'd watch it all again.

So far, my friend has barely made a dent in the box set, which suits me fine as the longer it takes her to return it, the longer it will have been since I watched it - which I'm hoping will make it almost like I'm watching it for the first time again.

There are some programmes/films I couldn't watch twice, even though I enjoyed them at the time, but there are others, particularly comedies, that still make me laugh even though at this stage I know exactly what's about to be said.

Another friend's child was watching Peppa Pig for the millionth time, and totally loving it, which made me realise if it's good enough for a two year old to watch stuff on repeat, it's good enough for me :D

^^^ that last bit's a joke, by the way, in case the super serious meanies are about looking for someone to shred with their thread-shredding ice-pick personalities :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

If its a good movie i'll watch it again and again.

I won't put as much effort into concentrating on it i might have it on in the background or something. I'll often look up trivia on them on IMDB during them too.

But something terrible doesn't get bought or downloaded so no risk there!

although a movie like Memento, Magnolia or to a lessor extent Inception require a few viewings to fully understand and "get" the movie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yeah, why wouldn't I? It's like fúck I only listen to a CD once because I've heard all the songs already, why would I play it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

danniemcq wrote: »
    If its a good movie i'll watch it again and again.

I won't put as much effort into concentrating on it i might have it on in the background or something. I'll often look up trivia on them on IMDB during them too.

But something terrible doesn't get bought or downloaded so no risk there!

although a movie like Memento, Magnolia or to a lessor extent Inception require a few viewings to fully understand and "get" the movie

Yeah, there are those films that take a few (or at least more than one) viewings to fully 'get'.

Same here with the 'being on in the background' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Absolutely!

I mean for the most part you'll have a general idea about how something will end when you watch a movie anyway (or at least possibilities).

So knowing the ending, for me, makes it better on a rewatch so I can see all the nuances and pathways that brought the DVD to its conclusion.

This does not apply to my vast Peppa Pig collection though.

Yeah, why wouldn't I? It's like fúck I only listen to a CD once because I've heard all the songs already, why would I play it again?

Snap! That was exactly my argument when, recently, someone said to me they couldn't understand why anyone bought DVDs because once you'd watched it, you'd never watch it again.

I said I would, and an exchange of viewpoints failed to settle on mutual agreement, hence my curiosity and this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

DVD's?

Is this a zombie thread from the 90's?

DVD's?

Is this a zombie thread from the 90's?

What do you watch, voice from the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Comparing it to music is a bit silly. To watch a DVD again you need to engage. With music you can be doing something else and listen to the music.
    Only DVDs I own we're things I couldn't real see anyway else. I rarely watch something more than twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Depends on the movie, but there's some I just never get sick of and will watch again and again. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Comparing it to music is a bit silly. To watch a DVD again you need to engage. With music you can be doing something else and listen to the music.
    Only DVDs I own we're things I couldn't real see anyway else. I rarely watch something more than twice.

Not really, they are both mediums of entertainment and generally within the same price range (with exception to sale items). Which is what this topic is about, "would you buy and watch it again."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I dont mind watching the soft stuff a few times, it just prolong's the experience over all ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I've watched every series of Curb your Enthusiasm and Peep Show at least 3 times each.

They still stay funny.

Not necessarily. At least, not for me. I don't need to fully engage with some of the comedy show DVDs I have (Frasier being one - it's the adult equivalent for me of what Peppa Pig is to my friend's child) and I can have it on in the background while I'm online or washing the dishes or writing etc.

Sometimes I don't want to listen to music, or the radio, but I don't want the house to be totally silent either.

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    What do you watch, voice from the future?

Yes. In Voice from the future, Will.I.Am is white, Tom Jones is 784 years old, Jessie is 42 stone and yer man from The Script is still a knob end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

someone said to me they couldn't understand why anyone bought DVDs because once you'd watched it, you'd never watch it again.
    I accept that some watch more than once and some do not, its no great mystery, surely your friend had heard some people do watch again. I never rent them since I am likely to watch more than once. I also like to have the original boxes.

I often watch/listen to films & comedies in the background while using a laptop, I have a lot of music dvds too which I watch over and over a lot more than films. I do not often put on a dvd on purposely to have in the background though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Seinfeld is always good for a re-watch. Particularly the Soup Nazi episode :D

Yes. In Voice from the future, Will.I.Am is white, Tom Jones is 784 years old, Jessie is 42 stone and yer man from The Script is still a knob end.

No, I wasn't asking you if you watch Voice from the Future (if such a thing exists), I was calling you Voice from the Future because I'm stuck in DVD watching 90s and you're watching.........[please type your answer here]

:)

No, I wasn't asking you if you watch Voice from the Future (if such a thing exists), I was calling you Voice from the Future because I'm stuck in DVD watching 90s and you're watching.........[please type your answer here]

Downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

*cough* Blu-Rays *cough*

I must have watched Gladiator about 20 times over the years. However, there are some films that are great but often are difficult to watch again. Irreversible, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Downloads.

I much prefer watching DVD's or blu-rays on an HD television, rather than on a small laptop screen. I also love watching the extras that are included on the disc.

• Advertisement

I much prefer watching DVD's or blu-rays on an HD television, rather than on a small laptop screen. I also love watching the extras that are included on the disc.

You can download Blu-rays & hook your laptop up to the TV with a HDMI cable.

Are you sure this isn't a zombie thread from the 90s? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that there's just something about physical media, having something in your hands, it's a bit more special than something you've just downloaded. Like my Bluray copy of Arrietty, in the pretty fold out box. having a physical thing just kinda makes me want to watch something again, it kinda makes it more special. anyone else relate to what I'm trying to say? so like, I'll buy a movie or an album if it's something really special, you know?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I would never watch a DVD twice which is why I would never buy one in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

How good you not watch the shawshank redemption more than 3 times or the green mile or leon etc etc yes is the answer : )

crazygeryy wrote: »
    How good you not watch the shawshank redemption more than 3 times or the green mile or leon etc etc yes is the answer : )

I've watched them all once. With the possible exception of "Leon", I wouldn't watch any of them again.

"The Green Mile", in particular, is a dreadful film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Harddrive >HDMI cable> tv - sorted!

No reason to own DVDs anymore really. Unless you enjoy having a collection of them that is.

Personally I tried to stop buying physical media after all my cds were sent up to the attic due to lack of use.

Do have a few bluerays I got to test out the system, but to be honest I haven't even watched most of them once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Concert or music documentary DVDs - yes. Films - no. I couldn't really be bothered watching something when I know what's going to happen next. I do have a load of films on DVD but that's because most of them cost about as much to buy as they would have cost to rent.

I suppose a few years after a series has finished I might watch it again. Or at least that was what I thought when I bought Lost and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. So far I haven't watched them even once. I might watch The Sarah Connor Chronicles eventually but I don't really know why I bought Lost. I'm not sure if I'll ever watch something that I know isn't going to go anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I watch and re-watch my DVDs, hence I have hundreds of them. I've almost worn out my boxsets of 24, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have the entire Sopranos boxset and watch random episodes sometimes. Not following any order or anything. Still find it a supurb show even having seen most episodes 2-3 times now.

• Advertisement

You can download Blu-rays & hook your laptop up to the TV with a HDMI cable.

Are you sure this isn't a zombie thread from the 90s :D

What's the point of doing that when your DVD player and PS3 are automatically hooked up anyway? What if someone else in the house is using the laptop?

Besides, a download doesn't have all the extras, special editions and cuts etc. an actual physical copy does.

I have a huge library of DVD's and blu-rays (over 1000), some were really hard to find. I love my film collection and if that makes me old-fashioned so be it! :D

Master of the Universe

What's the point of doing that when your DVD player and PS3 are automatically hooked up anyway? What if someone else in the house is using the laptop?

You have that a bit backwards, most people nowadays have their own personal laptop. On the other hand, what happens if someone else in the house is using the TV? :P
    Besides, a download doesn't have all the extras, special editions and cuts etc. an actual physical copy does.

They can if you want them to.

I have a huge library of DVD's and blu-rays (over 1000), some were really hard to find. I love my film collection and if that makes me old-fashioned so be it! :D

Collecting things can be great - I love seeing people have great collections. I just got a bit turned off media collecting though due to format upgrades. It's a bit frustrating buying things in new formats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

How could anyone not watch Scarface more than once? Or Trainspotting? Or Finding Nemo?

o1s1n wrote: »
    You have that a bit backwards, most people nowadays have their own personal laptop. On the other hand, what happens if someone else in the house is using the TV? :P

Collecting things can be great - I love seeing people have great collections. I just got a bit turned off media collecting though due to format upgrades. It's a bit frustrating buying things in new formats.

What if you don't want to be a thieving bastard? ;)

o1s1n wrote: »

We have one laptop in our house - me, my partner and the children share it. We do have two TV's, though.

Maybe so. In fairness, I'm not overly familiar with whatever extra content is included in downloadable movies.

Honestly, I'm not overly bothered by format upgrades. My partner buys quite a few blu-rays, but the types of films I enjoy watching don't generally benefit from blu-ray. In fact, in some cases, I find the picture quality better on DVD (case in point, 'The Road', which had awful picture quality on blu-ray).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

crazygeryy wrote: »

I've watched them all once. With the possible exception of "Leon", I wouldn't watch any of them again.

"The Green Mile", in particular, is a dreadful film.

Each to their own my friend each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

yeah i rewatch my dvds all the time. kinda like comfort food.

I've watched the sopranos entire series twice and the wire 3 times (don't judge)

favourite movie is trainspotting cant remember how many times i've seen it.

same goes for shaun of the dead

Master of the Universe

Honestly, I'm not overly bothered by format upgrades. My partner buys quite a few blu-rays, but the types of films I enjoy watching don't generally benefit from blu-ray. In fact, in some cases, I find the picture quality better on DVD (point in case, 'The Road', which had awful picture quality on blu-ray).

I did buy a DVD copy of The Devils recently and the transfer quality is stunning. Possibly the nicest looking DVD I've ever seen. I was surprised you could get that high a quality out of the format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't have any DVDs due to the fact I won't watch them. I'll only re watch a film if I was really stoned/drunk on the first watch and can't remember most of it/started day dreaming during the film and remember the film very differently from how it actually was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Can't compare music to movies, movies/boxsets have a tale, a story, characters to like n' dislike. Movies are like books, not melodies.

Some movies I would rewatch but skip ahead in some parts, many movies I can't stand the ending where a great story devolves into a typical revenge movie ie. 'Bonecollector' other movies are great but one watch 'million dollar baby' and then there's movies I never tire of wacthing like 'Shawshank redemption' 'insideman'

I also got rid of my TV, and instead watch Boxsets, some off which, I have watched so many times the plastic have started to crack on them, I know you can download a virtual-copy but I still like having a physical-copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tomk1 wrote: »
    I know you can download a virtual-copy but I still like having a physical-copy.
    Why? It only takes up room, is inconveniently in a box on a shelf and also inconveniently needs to be taken out of said box and inserted into a device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Lazarus Malrax

Do you ever watch DVDs a second time or is it a case of once you've seen it, there's no chance you'd ever watch it again?

I watched the entire box set of The Wire (over a shortish period of time) a few years ago, and loved it so much, I decided when the friend I subsequently lent it to returned it, I'd watch it all again.

So far, my friend has barely made a dent in the box set, which suits me fine as the longer it takes her to return it, the longer it will have been since I watched it - which I'm hoping will make it almost like I'm watching it for the first time again.

There are some programmes/films I couldn't watch twice, even though I enjoyed them at the time, but there are others, particularly comedies, that still make me laugh even though at this stage I know exactly what's about to be said.

Another friend's child was watching Peppa Pig for the millionth time, and totally loving it, which made me realise if it's good enough for a two year old to watch stuff on repeat, it's good enough for me :D

^^^ that last bit's a joke, by the way, in case the super serious meanies are about looking for someone to shred with their thread-shredding ice-pick personalities :eek:

I definitely do. I have watched most episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer up into double figures. [Between watching first run on Sky 1 when initially aired and repeats and then video box sets and then DVD box sets.] Have watched my favourite films double figures. I think one doesn't 'get' a show or film the first time and it requires repeated viewing to really get it. I still see things every time I watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

have watched some of my favourite movies dozens of times, if not hundreds over the years on various formats. I'll download a HD version of something I already own and not feel too guilty about it, sometimes I've downloaded a movie then gone and bought it if I like it for the extras and stuff. some dvds/blurays are essential, like the Alien boxset, best extras ever the documentaries are exhausting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I've never rewatched any TV series, I will though, once I run out of enough new stuff.

I have rewatched my favourite movies dozens of times though, and still enjoy them. The Princess Bride, The Lost Boys, all of Aliens, Pretty Woman. Some of those movies are like old friends :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Arrested Development is one that you should watch more than once. In the show there is lots of references to stuff that hasn't happened yet and would not be something you can pick up on first time around.
    For the new series, they are releasing each episode simultaneously and that means you really do need to rewatch to pick up on all the jokes.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Why? It only takes up room, is inconveniently in a box on a shelf and also inconveniently needs to be taken out of said box and inserted into a device.

In that case, why would anyone ever own books?

They take up space, you have to get up and pick one out, open the cover and turn the pages. You can get the same data from a computer or a Kindle without having to get up off your ar5e at all.

yeah i rewatch my dvds all the time. kinda like comfort food.

I've watched the sopranos entire series twice and the wire 3 times (don't judge)

favourite movie is trainspotting cant remember how many times i've seen it.

same goes for shaun of the dead

We could be twins, hungoverbunny; like comfort food is exactly how I feel about it too.

Plus, I love The Sopranos, The Wire and Trainspotting. I'd add Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction to that particular corner of my very varied collection.

It's great to hear there are loads of rewatchers, just like me. :D

I've rewatched Back to the Future literally dozens of times across the cinema, VHS, DVD and now Blu-Ray.

Still as good now as the first time, butt-head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Arrested Development is one that you should watch more than once. In the show there is lots of references to stuff that hasn't happened yet and would not be something you can pick up on first time around.

Agreed, watching it for the third time through now.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    For the new series, they are releasing each episode simultaneously and that means you really do need to rewatch to pick up on all the jokes.

As in, releasing all the episodes at once? What?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't have any DVDs due to the fact I won't watch them. I'll only re watch a film if I was really stoned/drunk on the first watch and can't remember most of it/started day dreaming during the film and remember the film very differently from how it actually was.

But then when you watch it again you realise it wasn't half as good as your drug-addled mind made it out to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I watch movies and tv programmes I really like over and over again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement