Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Switchover Problems - Charged

Options
  • 18-06-2012 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I had my phone and broadband originally with Eircom and switched to Vodafone for approx 18months I switched back to Eircom in January as I was told I would get 8mb connection speed and phone for under €40.

The only reason I switched was the promise of greater speed as the lady stated that Eircom have control over the lines so can guarantee greater speeds to me.

I decided to switch and it did not go well.
    Vodafone still debited the account for three subsequent months and they said that Eircom changed the phone but didn't instruct them to change the broadband so they were still charging for the broadband. I had to subsequently sign a form to get Eircom switch over the broadband.

The speed we are currently getting is terrible under 1mb download and 0.2mb upload. I just want a fast connection and this was promised in the switchover and Eircom has failed to perform.

I think a number of people are having problems with them not switching over the broadband at the same time as the phone.

I will be advising people not to switch in future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

rmoyles wrote: »
    I had my phone and broadband originally with Eircom and switched to Vodafone for approx 18months I switched back to Eircom in January as I was told I would get 8mb connection speed and phone for under €40.

The only reason I switched was the promise of greater speed as the lady stated that Eircom have control over the lines so can guarantee greater speeds to me.

I decided to switch and it did not go well.
    Vodafone still debited the account for three subsequent months and they said that Eircom changed the phone but didn't instruct them to change the broadband so they were still charging for the broadband. I had to subsequently sign a form to get Eircom switch over the broadband.

The speed we are currently getting is terrible under 1mb download and 0.2mb upload. I just want a fast connection and this was promised in the switchover and Eircom has failed to perform.

I think a number of people are having problems with them not switching over the broadband at the same time as the phone.

I will be advising people not to switch in future.

Hi rmoyles,

Apologies that things did no go as planned with the order. I can't confirm the issue without some account info so if you PM me with the account or phone number I will check the order to see what the issue was. I will also check the broadband line for you and see if we can do anything in relation to the speed. There is a link to PM me at the bottom of my posts.

Thanks

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rmoyles

can only send a pm with 25 or more posts if you send one to me I can reply back to it.

can only send a pm with 25 or more posts if you send one to me I can reply back to it.

Got your PM, thanks. I'm looking into this and will get back to you shortly.

James

Hi,

Have checked this for you and can confirm a few things. Firstly, I can see that the line switched on 24/1/2012 2 weeks after the order was placed as per the correct timeframe. With regards the broadband switch, it seems that NGB is not available to your exchange so the original order for 'up to 8mb' did not flow through the system. If the agent specifically said you would get 8mb then you have grounds for a complaint. I can only apologise if you were misinformed but a complaint should result in the call being listened to. This way we can tell exactly what the agent said.

I have tested the line and the max available speed is 'up to 7.6mb'. Because the exchange is not yet NGB, the best we can offer is to increase the package to either the 3mb (€5 extra per month) or 7mb (€15 extra p/m). If you would like to go ahead with that let me know and I’ll process it for you. If you would like to make a complaint about this issue you can call 1901 and ask for a manager. If that's not possible, PM me and let me know and I'll chase it for you.

Regards

James

Thanks for the update.

• Advertisement

I have contacted them and all they could offer me was an upgrade to the 3MB connection package but that will cost more €50 per month and this will mean signing up to a new 12 month contract.

Not happy with Eircom on this one.

I have contacted them and all they could offer me was an upgrade to the 3MB connection package but that will cost more €50 per month and this will mean signing up to a new 12 month contract.

Not happy with Eircom on this one.

Hi,

Apologies that they couldn't offer a more suitable deal. As I said, if you were specifically sold an NGB line then you have grounds for a complaint. Unfortunately that would be the next step from here. Again, sorry the order did not go as expected.

Regards

James

As requested I asked for the original sales call to be listened to.

They have came back to me on this and said that they located it but are not able to listen to it due to a quality issue. I was very clear in this conservation that should the service not be as promised I will not switch, she stated several facts which at the time I questioned having some experience in this area, she stated that they can deliver faster speeds than Vodafone as they have control over the lines. There was no mention that the costs would increase after 6 months, as I outlined there was no reason for me to switch from vodafone as I was paying €40 a month to them anyways so I agreed to switch to get the faster speed.

This matter to me is now about Eircom miss selling to consumers to get them to switch back and and failing to inform adequately.

The issue of not switching the broadband at the same time as the phone has being highlighted on the Consumer Show on RTE and I am fearful that this is common industry practice. The consumer is the one that is charged and there is no comeback.

The full details of this has being logged by me and this as now gone from simply a matter of speed where I just wanted faster broadband for the agreed rate of €40 per month to an issue of missselling many consumers.

It is something I will take further both to Comreg and to the Consumer Show on RTE. I know I didn't check my bill for several months until I noticed the original provider was still charging me. I am sure there are many more cases like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

As requested I asked for the original sales call to be listened to.

They have came back to me on this and said that they located it but are not able to listen to it due to a quality issue. I was very clear in this conservation that should the service not be as promised I will not switch, she stated several facts which at the time I questioned having some experience in this area, she stated that they can deliver faster speeds than Vodafone as they have control over the lines. There was no mention that the costs would increase after 6 months, as I outlined there was no reason for me to switch from vodafone as I was paying €40 a month to them anyways so I agreed to switch to get the faster speed.

This matter to me is now about Eircom miss selling to consumers to get them to switch back and and failing to inform adequately.

The issue of not switching the broadband at the same time as the phone has being highlighted on the Consumer Show on RTE and I am fearful that this is common industry practice. The consumer is the one that is charged and there is no comeback.

The full details of this has being logged by me and this as now gone from simply a matter of speed where I just wanted faster broadband for the agreed rate of €40 per month to an issue of missselling many consumers.

It is something I will take further both to Comreg and to the Consumer Show on RTE. I know I didn't check my bill for several months until I noticed the original provider was still charging me. I am sure there are many more cases like this.

Hi rmoyles,

I can confirm that your issue was logged & escalated trough the official complaint process when you call on the 20/06/12.

There is a lead time of 5 - 10 working days for an official complaint to be investigated, however you will receive an update before then.

Let us know if you want us to check updates / status of the complaint.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks I will await the follow up by whoever handles this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement