Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round Ireland Yacht Race 2012 - Your Thoughts Please!

Options
  • 18-06-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I do hope some of you can help with interpreting the models for next week commencing 24th June.
    I am trying to ascertain a wind forecast for the Round Ireland yacht Race which begins in Wicklow on Sunday 24th @ 12.00 and goes around Ireland in a clockwise direction.

I have decisions to make on what sails to bring ie. heavy weather - smaller/heavier or light weather - bigger lighter sails.

History suggests that there will always be a bit of heavy weather mixed in with the predominant moderate weather with some light weather thrown in just to frustrate us.
    The race normally takes about 4.5 days but we have had 5,6 even 7 day circumnavigations.

Based on the GFS(which might still be a bit FI now) it looks light westerly going southerly for the first couple of days but then maybe a bit of heavier weather as a depression seems to move in.

If any of you with much more experience than me could possibly have a look and maybe give your thoughts, I would be very very appreciative.

Thanks & regards
    JK

(PS. see - I do post when its not winter!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

GFS gives a light NW'erly for the 24th followed by stronger W/SW'erly winds up to 35kts on Tuesday and Wednesday along the north and west coasts. Don't know anything about sailing but I'd imagine that'd lead to tricky enough conditions

GFS wind charts are all here

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=uv10&HH=0&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I've found GFS is a bit all over the shop lately.
    I've been looking at it on windguru for sailing and windsurfuring the last few weeks.
    Anything more than 2 or 3 days out can change completely on the next run.
    I'm now seeing light winds monday in the west and moderate with guests to 25kts on the tuesday, bet it will change before long.

Thanks guys, very hard to make a decision all right. I'll give it until first thing tomorrow.
    JK

There we go, Tuesdays moderate winds with gust up to 25kts is now almost no wind with gusts to 5 or 6kts. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I'd bring all my sails and try to save weight elsewhere on the boat. You might leave the storm jib and trysail at home and run for shelter if things get hairy. Three headsails, two downwind sails and the main will do most conditions up to F10.

Best of luck with the race too. It's always a fun one to do.

Headsails are no problem. Choose 3 from 8 downwind is the question at the moment. S1, A2 and A4 are my current choices.
    Winds look lightish all the way though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

The ORC Regs will mean you'll have to bring a storm jib and trysail, unless you have the huge reefs in your main. Your cert should say the number of kites, usually 3. Always bring a heavy bulletproof one and a light AP.
    Get your mainsail doublechecked by your sailmaker. You can only bring one and ripped mains are the biggest reason for retirements in offshore. Also, a lot of racing boats and cruiser racers only carry inshore mains.
    You're usually allowed unlimited jibs. A good heavy No.1 and a good 3 are vital. A 4 and light/medium No.1 are next best.
    If you have a Jib Top or staysails bring them.
    Mike Broughton has given his weather predictions here http://www.roundirelandyachtrace.ie/light-to-medium-breezes-expected-in-this-years-round-ireland-yacht-race/

So what boat are you going round on?

It's a great race, I've done 4.

GFS is beginning to settle on light conditions.
    At least it will be sunny and warm.

Advertisement