Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macnas parade 2012

Options
  • 18-06-2012 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭

Question for experienced parade goers. I'm thinking of going up for this years parade with the kids. We haven't been there before. Just wondering is there any hotels on the parade route that we might be able to book a room in and view the parade from?
    Or else is there a quiet section of the route that kids could see it without being pushed or without having their view blocked by bigger kids?
    It looks pretty crowded in some parts on the videos on here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I moved your post out from an old thread as it's a new question and didn't add any info to the old thread.

Are you thinking of coming to the parade during Arts Festival in July?
    There are hotels along the route but tbh just arrive early to somewhere along the route. Kids always gets to sit at the front if they're small.
    There is no quiet section as everyone wants to see the parade and it's usually very crowded, hence you need to get there early.

How big are the kids?

Btw, this was last years route
    http://www.caricatures-ireland.com/blog/this-fierce-beauty-macnas-parade-route-2011/
    You'll probably have better view along the later parts but I can't promise anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

depends on the route - usually Jury's is the hotel they congregate across from and pass by also.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I'm sure there are lots of hotels around town these days that would be glad to rent the room by the hour:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thanks, got the Spanish Arch Hotel, family room for €109 for the night of the parade. July 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was down at the Sparch for it. Lots of people but weather was very bad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

biko wrote: »
    Was down at the Sparch for it. Lots of people but weather was very bad.
    What's the verdict of the display for those of us adverse to sideways precipitation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Despite the weather, have to say it was most enjoyable.
    Great effort.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Great parade with lots of really interesting ideas - a bestiary? a walking man who loses his head? death's head stilters?
    And even if you didn't get the overall story the impact of it was great.
    Pity about the rain but the performances rose above the weather and brought the crowd along with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Best parade in years. That was originally my opinion but it has been confirmed by everybody I have met
    Almost all the floats were original. No stops along the route (except for one
    wire in Quay St.) It was
    short but nobody actually realised that because there was always something to look at. Don't think the rain really made a difference except for the up/down/up/down brolly people and the people who they stood in front of.

One thing that did pee me off was the lad who decided to bring his dog to a parade with bangers/fireworks.Think he might have copped on finally when enough people told him!

Advertisement