Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Harness

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

falabo wrote: »
    Hi all

I am looking for some advice hope someone can help me. I have 2 cocker spaniels, about to order them decent harnesses on zooplus.ie but dont have the dogs with me so cant measure their chest cicumference or anything

Here is the product I'm thinking of buying (brand is Trixie)
    Which size would suit a Cocker Spaniel?

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/harnesses/282108

Is it a cheap version of this harness ?

http://www.zooplus.ie/feedback/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/harnesses/194484

I dont know which one to go for.
    I am using this type right now

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/harnesses/129578

and finding these RUBBISH as I walk them on a splitter so if one stops dead it comes off the other dog, very dangerous

I dont know if the 2 harnesses I'm considering are any good, I would gladly take on baord advise from people walking dogs on a splitter.

Harnesses would have to fit very well because when a dog pulls towarsds the other direction the it moves sideways on the other dog so looking for a very good product.

Not demanding at all here!

Thanks all

Have you tried front harness such as gentle leader? Make all the difference in preventing pulling. Don't know how these work with splitter though as never tried. Hopefully someone else here will be able to advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Here is the product I'm thinking of buying (brand is Trixie)
    Which size would suit a Cocker Spaniel?

I measured 2 of my cocker spaniels (didn't bother with the young one as she is very small).

The female, 4 years old, medium size, 11kg: chest size: 48cm

The male, 9 years old, full size, 13kg: chest size: 55 cm

Harnesses expand up & down size wise.

I use the type of harness you have. Sometimes I use a splitter on the lead too and I get a similar problem. If I have to go back to pick something up one of the dogs won't budge so her harness comes off! Luckily no problems yet. Let us know how you get on as I might change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The Julias K-9/Trixie ones are the same. Ours said Julias-K9 by Trixie on it. They sell them in MaxiZoo so you could take the dogs along and try one on for size. ;) I LOVE it and 2 of our friends have gotten them now since I got ours. I wanted a more sturdy harness with a handle at the back for grabbing/lifting him. Sometimes if he gets a fright he might try to jump away - eg if these 2 local little bratty dogs were coming along the path towards us they go ballistic barking at him and he's afriad - twice he jumped out onto the main road (no cars coming THANK GOD) with the handle I can hold him tighter. Or other times it's handy to lift him out of the river than wait for him to swim all the way down to his stepping stones! The straps are nice and thick as well so no worries about the cutting into him. I got bored of people asking was his name Julias after a week so got custom labels made - this made more people think that our friend's dog was called Julias since ours said Bailey so they've ordered labels now lol!! :pac::pac: I use a bungee extension on ours for insurance in case he pulls as I get back pain but we've done a lot of work on our walking/heelwork/self control so he's normally very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

tk123 wrote: »
    The Julias K-9/Trixie ones are the same. Ours said Julias-K9 by Trixie on it. They sell them in MaxiZoo so you could take the dogs along and try one on for size. ;) I LOVE it and 2 of our friends have gotten them now since I got ours. I wanted a more sturdy harness with a handle at the back for grabbing/lifting him. Sometimes if he gets a fright he might try to jump away - eg if these 2 local little bratty dogs were coming along the path towards us they go ballistic barking at him and he's afriad - twice he jumped out onto the main road (no cars coming THANK GOD) with the handle I can hold him tighter. Or other times it's handy to lift him out of the river than wait for him to swim all the way down to his stepping stones! The straps are nice and thick as well so no worries about the cutting into him. I got bored of people asking was his name Julias after a week so got custom labels made - this made more people think that our friend's dog was called Julias since ours said Bailey so they've ordered labels now lol!! :pac::pac: I use a bungee extension on ours for insurance in case he pulls as I get back pain but we've done a lot of work on our walking/heelwork/self control so he's normally very good.

Thnak you very much for that, may I ask you where I could order those custom made labels ? I'm always asked for their names too :-) would you be able to post picture sof your dogs wearing these harnesses ? :-)

paultf wrote: »
    I measured 2 of my cocker spaniels (didn't bother with the young one as she is very small).

The female, 4 years old, medium size, 11kg: chest size: 48cm

The male, 9 years old, full size, 13kg: chest size: 55 cm

Harnesses expand up & down size wise.

I use the type of harness you have. Sometimes I use a splitter on the lead too and I get a similar problem. If I have to go back to pick something up one of the dogs won't budge so her harness comes off! Luckily no problems yet. Let us know how you get on as I might change.

Thanks paultf, I suppose mine would be around 55 cms then, this really helps me today.

• Advertisement

seefin wrote: »
    Have you tried front harness such as gentle leader? Make all the difference in preventing pulling. Don't know how these work with splitter though as never tried. Hopefully someone else here will be able to advise

I have tried the front leader, it helps a bit but they still want to be ahead and it slides sideways so it's actually annoying (probably me more than them)

lol I just let them walk ahead now and the slightest bit of pulling I just stop dead and they walk back towards me. training classes didnt works.

Thnak you very much for that, may I ask you where I could order those custom made labels ? I'm always asked for their names too :-) would you be able to post picture sof your dogs wearing these harnesses ? :-)

I got them from K9usa-com - they came within the week. I got the neoprene cover for the belly strap as well for extra cushioning since he's quite active in his.

Here's some pics of bold boy and one of him and his friend Rebel in the river!

tk123 wrote: »
    I got them from K9usa-com - they came within the week. I got the neoprene cover for the belly strap as well for extra cushioning since he's quite active in his.

Here's some pics of bold boy and one of him and his friend Rebel in the river!

Lovely pics !!
    what size harness is on your golden retriever ?

His is a size 1 and it fits fine but tbh there's not that much slack on the belly strap if we need to make it bigger - maybe 2-3 inches. If I was buying another for him I'd go for a size 2 to be safe - the setter's is a size 2. The coloured part is the same size just on both sizes just a difference in the straps.

so size 0 for a Cocker Spaniel, in your opinion ?

• Advertisement

I'd say 0 would be ok. I went with the size chart on their site and it was spot on - I think I'm just worrying over nothing since we usually end up with harnesses etc that we have to tighten as much as possible to get them to fit (he's skinny) and have loads of slack on them! :pac: His coat is getting thicker but I don't think it'll get THAT thick that we need to go up a size!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bonphoenix

I have the Julius K9 harnesses for both my Cockers. They are really great, so easy to put on and off. One of my cockers is a working cocker so is broader than our show cocker, but the both of them wear size 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bonphoenix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

I'd agree that the Julius K-9 harness is great. I got one for my Dogue de Bordeaux and he loves it (or at least it doesn't irritate him at all :))

They are a bit pricey but the quality is excellent. I bought mine from Zooplus too, it was delivered very quickly. You can find a range of custom labels on e-bay but I think you need to order direct from Julius if you want a 'bespoke' label.

7273062782_9ef629c609.jpg

Advertisement