Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaghan United withdraw from LoI

• 18-06-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭

More bad news for the domestic game.

Chairman Jim McGlone: "The reason we have taken this decision is mainly but not only financial."

At least we still have the best fans in the world right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

What?? Got a link? Sad news if true but not massively surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

https://twitter.com/#!/MonaghanUtdFC
    Monaghan United regret to inform their fans that they have withdrawn from the Airtricity League of Ireland with immediate effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This has been in the works for a while I would have thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Christ thats nuts. I know they dont really get crowds etc and i suppose having Roddy is going to hugely inflate the wage budget all round but thats just shocking. At least we(GUFC) managed to playh out the season before it happened. More evidence of the awful state of senior football in this country, the sooner the Euros finish and the FAI maybe try and fix it the better, wont be holding my breath for that day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Its the Dublin City thing all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

No doubt John Delaney will sort this whole sorry mess out once he gets back from being on the p!ss and having a sing song in Poznan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Roddy Collins.

Des wrote: »
    Roddy Collins.

He's just toxic at this point huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dated 18th June 2012

Monaghan United after much deliberation and soul searching have decided to bring to an end it’s involvement in Airtricity League of Ireland, this decision was a hard one and not taken lightly but it was felt that this was the only real option left to us at this time.
    Monaghan United entered the National League back in 1985 and while it’s been tough it has been an enjoyable journey, we have made many friends and forged great links within the football family. However for a number of reasons this was no longer sustainable and with a heavy heart we decided to bring to an end our involvement with the Airtricity League of Ireland.
    The reason we have taken this decision is mainly but not only financial. To keep a team playing at the highest level in this country is expensive and with the clubs inability to tie down a anchor sponsor, coupled with the rising costs of membership of senior football and the lack of support from the national league it was felt that no other option was available.
    However this is in no way the end of Monaghan United in fact it is a new beginning, a new direction has been chosen by the club, and it is our intention to pour all our energy, experience and facility’s into the development of football in the county of Monaghan.
    Monaghan United will sit down with all of its members and interested parties to explore how best to achieve this.
    Monaghan United would like to extend our gratitude to our manager and players who throughout this time have been very supportive and indeed our decision to leave at this time is to allow these players to find other clubs as soon as possible. We would like to wish them all the best of luck in the future.
    Once again may I thank all of our members, supporters, sponsors and the good people of Monaghan for their kindness and we have been assured of their support going forward.

Finally Monaghan United would like to take this opportunity to assure all our creditors that all accounts with them will continue to be honoured.

Yours in sport

Jim Mc. Glone

(Chairman Monaghan United)

Sad news. I actually liked Gortakeegan. (Mondogs always a highlight) How does this work then? Are they going to finish the season or are they gone as of now? Feel sorry for Mons fans, hopefully they can build it back up over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That's sad news. Brought a decent sized crowd to Dalymount earlier on this season. Had a chat with one or two in the bar after the game who travel home and away and haven't missed a game in 3 or 4 years they said.

Real pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Christ thats nuts. I know they dont really get crowds etc and i suppose having Roddy is going to hugely inflate the wage budget all round but thats just shocking. At least we(GUFC) managed to playh out the season before it happened. More evidence of the awful state of senior football in this country, the sooner the Euros finish and the FAI maybe try and fix it the better, wont be holding my breath for that day though.

This is nothing to do with Roddy or the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Whats the story with points seeing as its half way through a series some times have played them once others twice so it wont add up.

paddy978 wrote: »
    Whats the story with points seeing as its half way through a series some times have played them once others twice so it wont add up.

When Continuity Home Farm pulled out mid season a few years ago all of their results were void

Witchie wrote: »
    Increased costs due to wages of both wouldn't have helped now would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thought this tweet was a bit harsh from @RTEMNS
    So while 20k + are singing and dancing and having a great time in Poland one of our clubs goes out of business. That's Irish football for ya

Increased costs due to wages of both wouldn't have helped now would they?

How is wages the fault of those receiving them?

Roddy met the board and negotiated a wage, they could have said no.

Same as with the players.

If you are suggesting that they should forego their wages, would you?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Thought this tweet was a bit harsh from @RTEMNS

It's true.

The majority of the 20k fans out on a jolly in Poland don't give a fúcking shít about Monaghan United, the LoI or any domestic football whatsoever. That is a fact.

That includes Dear Leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Cant believe it, i am gutted for them.I really hope they can comeback next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

John Delaney on his 400K per annum (plus perks) will sort it all out when he gets back.

I don't think this country is big enough to "compete" with the soccer "product" in the UK or Europe for that matter.
    Fans have little time for the rainy evenings in a lot of sh1tty stadiums, without the drama and hype provided by sky sports and the like.
    Bearing that in mind the FAI need to figure out how best to promote soccer in the country whilst ensuing the top clubs aren't ran into the ground.

Reading that statement, if doing this now means that they will honour outstanding invoices, etc then fair play to them. Many would have kept the show on the road to the bitter end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I wonder does Delaney even know yet or is he still on the lash??

How is wages the fault of those receiving them?

Roddy met the board and negotiated a wage, they could have said no.

Same as with the players.

If you are suggesting that they should forego their wages, would you?
    Sure i never said it was the players or managers fault? I simply said that increased wages due to promotion would have been a bigger drain, same as it was at GUFC. Its not the fault of the manager or players, its part and parcel of the game.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I wonder does Delaney even know yet or is he still on the lash??

I wonder does he know Wim Koevermans left the FAI, because there hasn't been comment about that either.

He is still on the lash, giving his tie to fans, buying drinks on trains and being an all round nice guy.

We all love dear leader

Witchie wrote: »

Who do you love more, Roderick or Dear Leader?

Sure i never said it was the players or managers fault? I simply said that increased wages due to promotion would have been a bigger drain, same as it was at GUFC. Its not the fault of the manager or players, its part and parcel of the game.

The majority of Irish clubs simply do not have the income (or sugar daddy) to support the wages that they paid. I don't know who is ultimately at fault - I would blame the FAI - some of the highest paid sporting representatives in the country (not just Delaney) and the game is a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

A wage increase would have happened when we went into the premier regardless of who was manager. Again it is not Roddy or the Squad that are at fault and they have been very supportive and understanding throughout our recent difficult times.

I wonder does he know Wim Koevermans left the FAI, because there hasn't been comment about that either.

He is still on the lash, giving his tie to fans, buying drinks on trains and being an all round nice guy.

We all love dear leader

A few of my mates are over there and they met him the other night in some square! He was locked!! Spending his wages well!

kippy wrote: »
    The majority of Irish clubs simply do not have the income (or sugar daddy) to support the wages that they paid. I don't know who is ultimately at fault - I would blame the FAI - some of the highest paid sporting representatives in the country (not just Delaney) and the game is a mess.
    Fully agree with you, the FAI have demonstarted many times that they are excellent organisers of a piss-up but not so much the organisation and ability to run a league properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Terrible day, for football, the fans and more importantly the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Fully agree with you, the FAI have demonstarted many times that they are excellent organisers of a piss-up but not so much the organisation and ability to run a league properly.

Its a statement that can be said for most organisations in this country.

Absolutely lethal pissups, clueless how to run their organisations effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its grand this lad and his mates have it sorted.

delaneypic.jpg

Boards lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

kippy wrote: »
    I don't think this country is big enough to "compete" with the soccer "product" in the UK or Europe for that matter.

Like Croatia, Denmark and Norway?

Blaming the size of the country or the GAA is a cop-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sickening. Maybe the best fans in the world can sing them back into the league

stovelid wrote: »
    Like Croatia, Denmark and Norway?

Blaming the size of the country or the GAA is a cop-out.
    I was just stating the obvious.
    The GAA is an issue, as is the close proximity and historical links we have with the UK when it comes to the professional game.

Professional soccer in this country isn't working and plainly hasn't worked. Any attempt to make teams fully professional falls flat on its face outside of the bigger cities.
    The whole thing needs to be reviewed and PERHAPS an approach similiar to rugby is required. Four or five "big" teams with the option to get more support than the current setup.
    For example you have about 4/5 teams in Galway all vying for a very limited support network.
    The attendances at games are not substantial enough to support a club paying the wages that have been paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

CiaranC wrote: »
    Sickening. Maybe the best fans in the world can sing them back into the league

They would probably sing "Who are ya?"

As posted by some else, they probably don't even know or care. They probably express their views on the League of Ireland without ever setting step into a ground. They probably spend hundreds of Euro to watch teams in England, and complain about the admission price to Tolka Park or The Brandywell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

As betting prices seemed to attached to most threads about the League of Ireland, usually the Opening Post, I'm aghast that no mention has been made of them already.

Will any punters be able to collect on a season long bet "Mon. Utd. to be relegated"?

(Just to be consistent like).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

http://irishfootball.net/2012/06/adjusted-league-ireland-premier-division-table/

Its a disgrace that they can **** up the league having played some teams once and others twice. Are Sligo back in the cup or does a team get a bye?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭not1but4

What does this mean for the team who finishes bottom of the table this season, will they (hopefully not Dundalk) be relegated to the first division?

Youll have to wait for that drunken buffoon to get back from his holidays so he can order Fran Gavin to just make up some rules

stephen maher ‏@stephenmaher07
    Nice to find out you've no club over twitter @ExtratimeNews @RTEMNS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Will the "Expungites" and "3 nilers" be divided along club results against Monaghan Utd?

They were still in the FAI Cup so i wonder do Sligo get back in seeing as they were knocked out by Mons in the last round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

not1but4 wrote: »
    What does this mean for the team who finishes bottom of the table this season, will they (hopefully not Dundalk) be relegated to the first division?

I assume as nobody finishes 12th, there will be no automatic relegation and 11th will be in the play-offs as scheduled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

bad news for the league and Monaghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is absolutely disgraceful. This sort of thing shouldn't happen mid-season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FAI statement on the way shortly apparently, cannot wait to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pl Team P W D L F A GD Pts
    1 Sligo 13 8 4 1 21 7 +14 28
    2 Us 12 5 6 1 18 8 +10 21
    3 Rovers 12 5 5 2 25 17 +8 20
    4 Drogheda 13 5 5 3 20 17 +3 20
    5 Derry City 13 5 3 5 15 13 +2 18
    6 Shelbourne 13 5 3 5 13 17 -4 18
    7 Bohemians 13 4 3 6 10 13 -3 15
    8 Bray 13 4 3 6 22 26 -4 15
    9 Cork City 13 3 5 5 15 17 -2 14
    10 Dundalk 12 3 2 7 9 23 -14 11
    11 UCD 13 2 3 8 13 3 -10 9

No automatic relegation, whoever mons had in the cup should get a bye. Rovers Pats and Dundalk have a game in hand over everyone else.

Wouldnt mind Jordan Keegan back if he doesnt go to Bristol.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    FAI statement on the way shortly apparently, cannot wait to read it.
    I can picture Delaney scribbling it on the back of a carslberg soaked fag packet, sniggering with his leprechaun bearded mates

Daniel McDonnell ‏@McDonnellDan
    One club gone, another having a big meeting tomorrow, but the powers that be will still insist that Irish football is going the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

CiaranC wrote: »
    I can picture Delaney scribbling it on the back of a carslberg soaked fag packet, sniggering with his leprechaun bearded mates

If he's sober enough to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement