Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow Trout - suggestions?

Options
  • 18-06-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

We have had some success in getting the kids to eat more fish by bringing them fishing!

The only snag is that cooking fish is a bit of a mystery to me and it tends to go from looking raw up slightly overdone in no time flat.

At the moment we mostly cook trout baked in a tinfoil parcel with butter, dill whatever other fresh herbs are about, or as a fillet floured on the pan.

Has anyone any suggestions on other ways of doing trout?

Caught a nice 4.5 lb-er yesterday, did it in the tinfoil for dinner last night (lovely but I know that I am not doing it justice) and am thinking fish pie for the left overs tonight, am I just being unimaginative or is that about it as far as leftover trout goes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

That looks good - I will give it a go with the next fresh trout.

I am starting to tend towards a creamy carbonara sauce with pasta with the leftovers from last night, most recipes seem to focus on smoked trout but it a bit late for smoking now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

fenris wrote: »
    That looks good - I will give it a go with the next fresh trout.

I am starting to tend towards a creamy carbonara sauce with pasta with the leftovers from last night, most recipes seem to focus on smoked trout but it a bit late for smoking now!

That sounds lovely. You only need to heat the trout, not cook it, so add it at the end, only a minute or two before serving. As you have discovered, its easy to overcook fish.

The other recipe with the parma ham looks lovely. Trout and ham is a lovely combination.

If the trout is freshly caught,your first two ideas of baked with herbs ( add butter and a splash of white wine or lemon juice) or fried are the best way or serving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Google trout with almond recipes. Very tasty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Why not make a nice fishcake with the trout. Poach the fish a little in some water then add it into mash potatoe and whatever other vegetables you have lying around, throw in some chopped herbs. Bread crumb that and youre laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Xyo wrote: »
    Why not make a nice fishcake with the trout. Poach the fish a little in some water then add it into mash potatoe and whatever other vegetables you have lying around, throw in some chopped herbs. Bread crumb that and youre laughing.

I'd never use rainbow trout for fishcakes. It's like using fillet of beef for spagbol.

I find the best thing to do is to panfry it and make the skin crispy.

Heat a pan until hot but not smoking. Add olive oil and a bit of butter for colour.

Place the fish skin side down and don't move it, let it sit for a minute. When the cooked colour has spread half way up the meat flip it but only leave for around 10 seconds. Then remove from the plate.

This with sauce hollandaise and aparagus is absolutely delicious.

Advertisement