Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscriptions in Newsstand

Options
  • 18-06-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use the Newsstand app in iPad?

I mean I can see the convenience of getting your favourite magazine to the iPad and have it available at your fingertips but pretty much anything you want to read about these days, is invariably discussed somewhere at detail through articles\forums\blogs for free....why pay for information when it is elsewhere for nothing?

Like I said, i do like the idea of having the latest edition of Empire or Stuff on my iPad, but I can list 4 or 5 websites that would discuss the content or portions of this content and because of this, I can't bring myself to shelling out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

alot of apple customers like to needlessly waste money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The same reasons there is still magazines and newspapers in print I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

yes i sub to one magazine, simply because the annual sub cost the same as two issues in easons. so in my case i didnt "needlessly waste money"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

zinio app all the way for me. lots of free credit and cheap subs to total film, uncut, nme, under the radar, edge. Id say Ive spent less than 100 euro on about 10 subs so far.
    getting to read them is another issue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I got a couple of them when it came out to test. That being,

Empire, SFX, NatGeo, Scientific American.

SFX had the best content but was exactly the same as the magazine. You had to manually zoom into it to read the pages.

Empire was the most interactive but required online connection for the lot.

Overall however I found them to be a waste of money, unless you are an avid fan of a particular publication.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think Newsstand is a great idea behind the scenes, but having the separate app/folder for it is idiotic. Why shouldn't the background updating be available as a standard Kit/Framework? I can think of a lot of non-Newsstand type apps that could use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

I have a subscription taking out €5.49 from my account every month and can’t figure out how to cancel it

Is this from press reader or some other app. It’s that’s long ago since I signed up I can’t remember how I signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

razor8 wrote: »
    I have a subscription taking out €5.49 from my account every month and can’t figure out how to cancel it

Is this from press reader or some other app. It’s that’s long ago since I signed up I can’t remember how I signed up

You can find all active subscriptions by following this link. If you signed up through Apple subscription platform it’ll be listed here.

itms://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/DirectAction/manageSubscriptions

Advertisement