Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best & worst port you ever visited?

• 18-06-2012 11:55am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For me, Hamburg was the best - we were the second largest ship to berth there at the time and the trip up the Elbe was very memorable on such a large ship.

The worst, was not quite a port but a transfer ship the 'Boca Grande'. Located off the coast of Venezuela, the humidity never dropped below 80% and the winds never below force 6. There were no tugs to get you alongside and it was hell on the mooring lines. I understand only Nouadhibou
    in Mauritania is a worse place to load.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

Best Port I've been to I'd have to say was Tallin, the run up the road was something else.
    The worst port I've been to was Brisbane. Only one word to describe my time there, Jellyfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fluffysierra

I second that about Brisbane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Best Port? Teignmouth. Stereotype English seaside village, complete with old fogies in white playing boules.
    Worst? Europoort, on Lay By .... Nearest "Pub" was the seamans mission, somewhere in Botlek..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Best port i ever was in Singapore and Rio de Janeiro
    Worst port was Onne,Nigeria,worst ****hole on the planet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Best ports were Rio; everything naturally, Manta in Ecuador for a Week long wet dock; there was a club up on the main street that was $12 in & all you can drink free til 8/9am, and Odessa Ukraine; simply the women walking down the streets were the most beautiful I have ever seen anywhere!
    Worst ports not surprisingly was Basra'h Iraq; brought meaning to the term "desolation row" after being held at gunpoint by the navy, Alexandria Egypt; before the uprising, & somewhere in Lybia I thankfully cannot remember the name of; again before the uprising.
    But as ever there's no port like the home port!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Best port i ever was in Singapore and Rio de Janeiro
    Worst port was Onne,Nigeria,worst ****hole on the planet

Few competing for best, tend to try for forget the bad ones.

Have to agree with you about Onne though, had totally repressed that one.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Was in Odessa in the early eighties,terrible place,grey buildings,grey people we were searched leaving the dock not allowed to use the bus/tram ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Post Said 4 weeks stuck in that hole, took me years to stop putting f**king before Egyptians.

Whinged once to me father about it, his reply Nought changed since Farouk left then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Singapore was the best, don't mention the worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Singapore was the best, don't mention the worse

Did she have a pair of balls,lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I worked for shell in rotterdam and we got a tour of the port by boat one day and a bus around the container section and then onto the north sea barrier at the entrance. Its so hard to comprehend the size of the operation going on there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

probably not nearly as experienced as most of you,

but my best so far was coming into Galway, im biased, but its really nice to step off straight into the city.

Bergen is breathtakingly beautiful, but at 14euro a beer, it gets pushed down the list.

Lisbon is amazing for the history, and the Columbus monument, and nice little bunch of disco bars just beside the container ship jetty.

Lorient was dreary and industrial, but cool to see the Uboat base.

Stornaway, beautiful scenery, but really run down town now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

Really enjoyed my trips to Malaga, used to be able to shoot up the road to Torremolinos for some madness.

Worst spot I had to go to, there were many, was probably Dunkerque. That might have been down to the feeder container ship I was on or having to tie up next to BNP nuclear waste ships. Either way, it was pretty grim.

Advertisement