Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC & peer-to-peer

• 18-06-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of switching to UPC from Vodafone for better speeds.

If I do are the any issues with peer-to-peer stuff or anything else I should know about?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I don't know about anyone else but our 25mb broadband from UPC is far from Uncongested. The TV service is horrible ,the pictures are far from clear and the menus are painstakingly slow to navigate through. If we want to keep the Internet and not the phone and TV we'll get charged an extra €8 month what a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭frash

I don't know about anyone else but our 25mb broadband from UPC is far from Uncongested. The TV service is horrible ,the pictures are far from clear and the menus are painstakingly slow to navigate through. If we want to keep the Internet and not the phone and TV we'll get charged an extra €8 month what a joke

Thanks.
    I'd be getting them only for broadband & phone.
    What kind of speeds are you getting on the 25MB line?

late night early morn 22-23mb from 1pm onwards it can vary from 3 mb - 14mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I am having a completely different experience to the poster above,

I'm on 25mb with TV & Phone... I'm getting on average 23mb down and 2.5mb up with no problems with P2P. Sometimes I even get over 25mbs, highest was 27mbs,

TV & phone are top notch too, never a problem

The Internet is fantastic when it works. I do love it .. But it's only in the past 3 months that this has happened . the tv service is nothing compared to sky . UPC should stick to broadband and phone an let sky stick to tv. I've seen the menus on many different UPC installs and there box isn't that great

• Advertisement

The service is just too unreliable in Newbridge .. It's always down for maintance work or something else .. I don't know what it's like in other areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Have to say in Swords the TV service is great and the Broadband is fantastic, Have a 20MB line, hardly ever goes under 15MB over wireless

I don't know about anyone else but our 25mb broadband from UPC is far from Uncongested. The TV service is horrible ,the pictures are far from clear and the menus are painstakingly slow to navigate through.
    At peak times (such as now) my 20 meg service goes down to 3-4 meg:

2017850813.png

But it shouldn't be affected since its uncongested broadband . So they say

jameshayes wrote: »
    I am having a completely different experience to the poster above,

I'm on 25mb with TV & Phone... I'm getting on average 23mb down and 2.5mb up with no problems with P2P. Sometimes I even get over 25mbs, highest was 27mbs,

TV & phone are top notch too, never a problem

Same package and same speeds for me in cork. Never drops even at peak times :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Same package and same speeds for me in cork. Never drops even at peak times :D

I'm the exact same, I've been on the 50mb since it came out, constantly get between 45-49mb/s down and 4.6-4.9mb/s up. And P2P is very fast for me. It really just depends on how many people are connected to the same junction as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but our 25mb broadband from UPC is far from Uncongested. The TV service is horrible ,the pictures are far from clear and the menus are painstakingly slow to navigate through.
    At peak times (such as now) my 20 meg service goes down to 3-4 meg:

2017850813.png

Thats mad, there has to be something wrong there.i would nt be paying for that if I was you.are u in a rural area or something like that?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Thats mad, there has to be something wrong there.i would nt be paying for that if I was you.are u in a rural area or something like that?

No, I'm in north Dublin city. I think they're heavily oversubscribed in this area. At the moment I can see 5 other UPC SSIDs in my available wireless networks. If it wasn't for the minimum contract period I'd probably consider Smart or Magnet at this stage - I'm not sure if I'll be here in a year's time is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

I'm in Cork and have UPC 25mb (Now 30mb thanks to upgrade. See other thread).
    I only have broadband + phone.

P2p works great and always get great speeds (Well as long as there are enough seeds). Congestion certainly is not a problem here.
    Can't ever remember having problems with the speed in the 2+ years I've had UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

I get a stable 30 - 31 Mbps over ethernet. Over wireless it drops to about 18 Mbps, but that's not UPC's fault. No P2P issues.

Thanks for all the replies - I just got UPC installed today.

Perfect speeds

2031713170.png

Got a 1.4GB torrent down in 8.5 mins :D

frash wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies - I just got UPC installed today.

Perfect speeds

2031713170.png

Got a 1.4GB torrent down in 8.5 mins :D

Thats quite slow for your connection speed, Need to look for better seeded torrents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is it my imagination, or is everyone who thinks UPC is great living in Dublin? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

In fairness that is where they have the most availability, so its not a massive surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭emy

Sarn wrote: »
    I get a stable 30 - 31 Mbps over ethernet. Over wireless it drops to about 18 Mbps, but that's not UPC's fault. No P2P issues.
    The same here, for now. Loss of 10Mbps using wireless N-6300, 2m far from modem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

emy wrote: »
    The same here, for now. Loss of 10Mbps using wireless N-6300, 2m far from modem!

Wireless is wireless, you'll never get the theoretical 100/300Mbps. Also one old device in the house and it drops to 54 ^^

who_me wrote: »
    Is it my imagination, or is everyone who thinks UPC is great living in Dublin? ;)

Good few from Cork have posted her to say they are happy

who_me wrote: »

No, actually the opposiste. Higher line utilisation during peak hours in parts of Dublin than cork or galway for example. Result is people in Dublin sometimes not seeing the advertised speed during peak usage times.

Advertisement