Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alarm: Install myself or go with a registered installer ?

• 18-06-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We need a new alarm system for the house we just bought. It's been re-wired and we got the electrician to put alarm cabling throughout (PIR for each room + front/back door sensors + power and cable for external sounder).

I work in computers and half fancied my chances of buying and installing an alarm myself, considering the electrician has done all the necessary wiring. The problem is my missus worries about security and wants a system installed quickly and properly. I've been pricing around and, even though all the wiring is done, we're looking at a minimum of €500+ to have a system supplied and fitted (less than 1 day's work). I've seen half decent systems for sale (retail) online for around €200 or less - so it's bugging me to have to pay so much.

I'm I wrong in my thinking and the self-install route is a bad idea ? I know that we will get some sort of guarantee + certificate for insurance by going with a registered installer.

Any advice ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

€500 incl vat is a very good price for a complete system fully installed .
    Can you list what equipment would be required?
    You will not get a decent system for an entire house for €200.
    Can you link to what you are considering half decent?
    Also can I ask what you consider a fair days wage for this job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

They are fairly easy to install yourself . Once your comfortable with a drill, electrics and climbing up a ladder to place the external bell. Do you know how to use a multimeter or are the cables labeled

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You need a multimeter and an understanding of how to check the resistance to verify and test all the zones correctly.

If he wants to go the DIY route he can get all the help he needs off of boards . The HKC 10/70 system would be a very DIY friendly system . Mine was easy to put in .never have major trouble with it or false alarms. The 10/70 can have a mix of wired and wireless zones

If he wants to go the DIY route he can get all the help he needs off of boards .
    I couldn't agree more. There are a few good professional installers here and we will give any help he needs.
    He seems to be looking for something cheaper , but if looking at the professional systems then Siemens SPC range
    Prices are around the same , but Siemens has lots of extra features. Also the ability to programme the panel from a PC or laptop makes it ideal for the DIY user.

• Advertisement

OK Off topic posts deleted.
    We are not going to constantly debate the same stuff over & over.
    The OP has been given choices ,leave it at tha
    t .
    @ Thunderbird earlier you were all for the OP doing what he want's , now your telling him what suits him & what doesn't.
    Then you try to derail the thread bringing up something totally different.
    If people want to recommend panels then that's fine. Attach the info & let the reader decide.
    Any more off topic posts get infractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

:cool:

The HKC 10/70 two way wired /wireless hybrid system would also be a professional system with user friendly features such as quick keys . Voice prompts . And flexible wiring installations .

The HKC 10/70 two way wired /wireless hybrid system
    What is two way wired?
    If you want user friendly you can't get easier than programming via any web browser.
    If it's voice prompts you want look at Siemens customizable audio options.

My mistake ment "two way wireless / wired ".
    Technically the point ID is two way and the keypad is also two way since it receives and sends information to the panel

• Advertisement

Lol taking that logic every alarm is 2 way.

Not all alarms are point ID so no there not .
    It was a clear mistake I made . Not going to argue and waste time

But communication is two way to the keypad as the other example pointed out.
    Anyway not arguing it.
    On the subject, these type of threads seem to bring up the same things over and over. I am getting too many people complaining about the same arguments going on and on.
    Its going to stop and this is the plan.
    Lets have a thread Visonic vs Quantum and another Siemens vs HKC .
    We will trash out the pros and cons there and there only.
    Anyone looking for info will be given the panel details and data sheets and a link to the relevant thread.
    I'm mobile at the moment ,but hope to get this up later.

That seems fair

Advertisement