Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Russel - Refusing to wear Collar and or Harness

• 18-06-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Our Jack Russel - Ben ( 5 months old ) refuses to wear his collar or harness in any case! - even if its just for around the house, or when we want to take him for a walk.

As soon as he hears or sees it, he's gone, darting up the stairs, or anywhere away from us.

when we eventually get it on, he barks and whines , as if where killing him, and wont stop until its taken off.

he was at the vet only recently, and got checked out, all seems to be fine.

I wonder if its a training issue, or some underlining problem?

any advise greatly appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I'd leave the collar on full time he'll get used to it, plus just in case he ever escaped so he has his tags.

Our Jack Russell is stubborn but loves trats so we've found that lots of treats when it's going on, when it's on and when we're out and about in it, works really well. Now the biggest problem is he gets over excited. Our guy wears a halti so extra fun was had getting him used to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

barbiegirl wrote: »
    I'd leave the collar on full time he'll get used to it, plus just in case he ever escaped so he has his tags.

Our Jack Russell is stubborn but loves trats so we've found that lots of treats when it's going on, when it's on and when we're out and about in it, works really well. Now the biggest problem is he gets over excited. Our guy wears a halti so extra fun was had getting him used to that.

Thanks for the reply! :)

He seems to not want it on at all - its as if he has a hate towards them - like he had a bad experience once, he freaks out.

When we leave it on him - he wont stop running around, trying to find ways of getting it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

barbiegirl wrote: »

Thanks for the reply! :)

He seems to not want it on at all - its as if he has a hate towards them - like he had a bad experience once, he freaks out.

When we leave it on him - he wont stop running around, trying to find ways of getting it off.

Maybe try and put it on for an hour a day, stick with it, then increase the amount of time each day as well as giving him treats when you do it.
    I'm presume the collar is so that you can put the lead on and take him for a walk? Does the walk not distract him from the fact that he has a collar on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This is quite a common problem, you may be glad to hear! There may be an osteopathic issue going on, not necessarily at the neck either. There's also a chance it could be thyroid gland or something else around the throat which causes discomfort for your pup, which he associates with discomfort.
    It could also be that he had a frightening or bad experience whilst getting the collar put on before, or whilst he had the collar on, which in his head he has created an association with. It could have been something seemingly inconsequential at the time, but it was important for him... remember, this may have happened before you even got him?
    It could also be that he is worried about going out on walks for some reason, and he associates the collar with going for walks. He might be frightrened of traffic, other dogs, outside noises, any number of things. It's easy enough to test this... does he go out happily with no collar on?
    I'd be inclined to go back to basics. Get a length of ribbon, and put it on the floor to start with. Every time your pup shows interest in it, tell him he's fab and give him a treat. Then start to pick it up, and when he shows interest in it, tell him he's fab and give him a treat. Then start draping it across him, telling him he's fab etc... Then place it across his back, telling him he's fab, treat etc. The make a loop of it and put it around his neck, taking it off again straight away... praise, treat etc. Then let him wear it for a little longer each day. Eventually, the idea is to graduate hgim onto a collar, but using this same gradual process to get him interested in the collar.
    Don't ever chase him if he runs away to put the collar on, as this will only confirm to him that he was right to be worried! Take this very easy indeed, and give yourself a few weeks to gradually acclimatise him to the ribbon first, then the collar.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Maybe try and put it on for an hour a day, stick with it, then increase the amount of time each day as well as giving him treats when you do it.
    I'm presume the collar is so that you can put the lead on and take him for a walk? Does the walk not distract him from the fact that he has a collar on?

yeah i think thats what ill be doing.

It is indeed a Collar that he'd be using for walks, with the idea of, wearing it alot of , if not all of the time, IE Being a house dog, with a name tag etc etc.

The walk only seems to stress him out more ( about the collar ) we've been reduced to talking him out onto our green and watching him like a hawk until we take him back in.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    This is quite a common problem, you may be glad to hear! There may be an osteopathic issue going on, not necessarily at the neck either. There's also a chance it could be thyroid gland or something else around the throat which causes discomfort for your pup, which he associates with discomfort.
    It could also be that he had a frightening or bad experience whilst getting the collar put on before, or whilst he had the collar on, which in his head he has created an association with. It could have been something seemingly inconsequential at the time, but it was important for him... remember, this may have happened before you even got him?
    It could also be that he is worried about going out on walks for some reason, and he associates the collar with going for walks. He might be frightrened of traffic, other dogs, outside noises, any number of things. It's easy enough to test this... does he go out happily with no collar on?
    I'd be inclined to go back to basics. Get a length of ribbon, and put it on the floor to start with. Every time your pup shows interest in it, tell him he's fab and give him a treat. Then start to pick it up, and when he shows interest in it, tell him he's fab and give him a treat. Then start draping it across him, telling him he's fab etc... Then place it across his back, telling him he's fab, treat etc. The make a loop of it and put it around his neck, taking it off again straight away... praise, treat etc. Then let him wear it for a little longer each day. Eventually, the idea is to graduate hgim onto a collar, but using this same gradual process to get him interested in the collar.
    Don't ever chase him if he runs away to put the collar on, as this will only confirm to him that he was right to be worried! Take this very easy indeed, and give yourself a few weeks to gradually acclimatise him to the ribbon first, then the collar.

Cheers for the Detailed response, much appreciated ! :)

Thats a really good idea, so i think that's what i will do from now on, and start ASAP to get the ball rolling.

Glad i am not the only one with this issue, we where worried it was more of a health issue, but seems to be just training needed etc.

Thanks again for the advice! - ill let you know how i get on :D

Robert

Advertisement