Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Tell me about yourself' interview question..

• 18-06-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

Generally this is the first question the panel ask.. maybe its to make you feel at ease but does anyone have any tips on how to make an impressive start with a response to this question? (Especially those who have been on an interview panel in the past)

At previous interviews I tended to just give a brief description about myself and recap on my cv..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I answered that by describing where i got my qualifications, what they actually were, my experience up to that point and something "I'm really interested in sports" etc. I kept it to less that 2 mins though i i recall.

Maybe that answer was rubbish although I did get the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Personally for this type of question I would answer along the lines of:
    "Well, my name is x and I live in y but am originally from z. (It does depend on the interviewers and jobs but where you are from can have a positive impact on an interviewers assessment of you, this can work against you as well)
    I'm currently working in company x and have been there for x years and before that I worked with x companies, naming them all, doing this kind of work, I went to college in y.....I enjoy hobbies and interests."
    It's surprising what conversation you can get started from that opening and from mentioning certain things from your past careers (a bit like an oral exam where you can, up to a point, dictate the questions being asked)
    I've a fairly relaxed attitude, some would say informal, when it comes to interviews and haven't not gotten a job offer out of an interview yet.
    I am in the IT Support/Admin/Engineer area where being able to communicate well and having a pleasant demeanor are almost as important as the technical skills however, other areas may differ.
    If you can connect with one or more of your interviewees on homeplace, past college, hobbie, company etc, you'll generally go a long way in an interview, in my opinion.

Advertisement