Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones in races (Mod Post #121)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Oh come on. There are seriously gross exaggerations on here about how 'dangerous' wearing headphones is in races. On open roads, fair enough but for races on closed roads I have never had a headphone wearer cause me any issues definitely no more so than a non-headphone wearer.

I don't see what difference someone wearing headphones -v- someone not wearing headphones is when trying to overtake someone. Always seems like a bit of an 'elitist' jibe on here to be honest that headphone wearers aren't as good as non-headphone wearers.

I wear headphones a lot when training and wear them on the bike when in the city and even at full blast can hear the traffic etc around me. The issue with people who cause problems isn't the headphones it's that that person is ignorant anyway, they'd be the same with or without them. Plenty of non-headphone wearers in races are arseholes too.

+1

The voice of reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

longshank wrote: »
    your pet hate makes no sense....at about 20mph on a bike the wind noise is louder than any headphones

I'll tell that to my family member who killed a cyclist who came out in front of them wearing headphones. A personal reason not to like it, but a legit one all the same.

Oh come on. There are seriously gross exaggerations on here about how 'dangerous' wearing headphones is in races. On open roads, fair enough but for races on closed roads I have never had a headphone wearer cause me any issues definitely no more so than a non-headphone wearer.

I don't see what difference someone wearing headphones -v- someone not wearing headphones is when trying to overtake someone. Always seems like a bit of an 'elitist' jibe on here to be honest that headphone wearers aren't as good as non-headphone wearers.

I wear headphones a lot when training and wear them on the bike when in the city and even at full blast can hear the traffic etc around me. The issue with people who cause problems isn't the headphones it's that that person is ignorant anyway, they'd be the same with or without them. Plenty of non-headphone wearers in races are arseholes too.

You need better headphones if you can still hear traffic at full volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

U will have no problem wearing them in Athlone...sure u may as well with lines of plodders stretched out accross the road u may as well sit back and enjoy the scenery...athlone the womens mini marathon of triathlon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I wouldn't know, they're all behind me :cool:
    :p

But seriously, I have seen the problems with wheelchairs in the marathon trying to pass people, and everyone hears them but the people wearing headphones. And people getting their names called out over the PA system, but not hearing because of their headphones. So it seems reasonable to assume that they wouldn't hear stewards shouting safety information either.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I wouldn't know, they're all behind me :cool:
    :p

But seriously, I have seen the problems with wheelchairs in the marathon trying to pass people, and everyone hears them but the people wearing headphones. And people getting their names called out over the PA system, but not hearing because of their headphones. So it seems reasonable to assume that they wouldn't hear stewards shouting safety information either.

I think if you exercise cop on and dew caution it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't wear them for the last km or 2 or coming up to a junction where stewards are guiding you etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

In general, it's a fair assumption that someone who has the time to spend in transition putting on their headphones, and going Music>My faves>80s Power Ballads>REO Speedwagon isn't going to be too bothered about their time.

Headphone wearers are the lowest of the low. Worse than drafters. They take the event and spit in its face. If you want to have your own event and stay in your own little world then don't bother entering something if your going to wear headphones. Total insult to everybody else taking part.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    In general, it's a fair assumption that someone who has the time to spend in transition putting on their headphones, and going Music>My faves>80s Power Ballads>REO Speedwagon isn't going to be too bothered about their time.

Headphone wearers are the lowest of the low. Worse than drafters. They take the event and spit in its face. If you want to have your own event and stay in your own little world then don't bother entering something if your going to wear headphones. Total insult to everybody else taking part.

You do realise that you can have your music ready to go so all you actually do is press one single button??
    It takes 4-5 seconds to strap an ipod to your arm. If you find it improves your time then you make up those seconds pretty easy.

"They take the event and spit in its face"....:rolleyes:

What's wrong with staying in your own little world? You are there to compete in the race and do your best, not make friends. I personally wouldn't care less if people are wearing headphones.

Also I am not a car or a motorbike on the road, if I want to pass someone out I simply run around them..I don't beep horns and put on indicators. I don't expect them to hear me coming up and move over to accommodate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I think if you exercise cop on and dew caution it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't wear them for the last km or 2 or coming up to a junction where stewards are guiding you etc.

Hey, can I bring my dog with me for my Tri? He's a real sweetie. Rules say no dogs, but my question is, do the rules apply to me?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Hey, can I bring my dog with me for my Tri? He's a real sweetie. Rules say no dogs, but my question is, do the rules apply to me?

Do if you want, I'll be focused on my own race, not bothered bout you and your dog.

If the rules say no headphones, and I use them, and I am disqualified then too bad for me. I understand and accept that.

My point is, if someone is playing music in say, one ear are they really such a potential destructive force in a race?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Do if you want, I'll be focused on my own race, not bothered bout you and your dog.

If the rules say no headphones, and I use them, and I am disqualified then too bad for me. I understand and accept that.

My point is, if someone is playing music in say, one ear are they really such a potential destructive force in a race?

To answer your point, yeah they are, bunch of self-centered prats. I've been pushed against moving cars in a race, had water bottles discarded into my face, ran into the back of suddenly-stopping runners, been tripped, knocked, bumped, etc: all by headphone wearers (never happened from regular runners). They're zoned out from their surroundings, and are a danger to others on a course. I daresay each of these ipod zombies would say they were aware of their surroundings if you asked them too, thankfully any decent race director doesn't make headphones optional, so if you seriously care about racing, don't wear them. Do what you want in training, running to music is great at times.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    To answer your point, yeah they are, bunch of self-centered prats. I've been pushed against moving cars in a race, had water bottles discarded into my face, ran into the back of suddenly-stopping runners, been tripped, knocked, bumped, etc: all by headphone wearers (never happened from regular runners). They're zoned out from their surroundings, and are a danger to others on a course. I daresay each of these ipod zombies would say they were aware of their surroundings if you asked them too, thankfully any decent race director doesn't make headphones optional, so if you seriously care about racing, don't wear them. Do what you want in training, running to music is great at times.

One can easily become that focused and zoned out without listening to music.

Also, the music doesn't have to be that loud that they hear nothing of their surroundings. I wear headphones but I understand and respect the importance of being aware of my surroundings and the people in them.

You are making sweeping assumptions and generalisations.

Everything you describe above...being tripped, knocked, bottles in face..easily done by non-headphone wearers too.

Also, the music doesn't have to be that loud that they hear nothing of their surroundings. I wear headphones but I understand and respect the importance of being aware of my surroundings and the people in them.

Everything you describe above...being tripped, knocked, bottles in face..easily done by non-headphone wearers too.

Nice way of respecting the importance of being aware of things- by completely blocking out one of your senses.

All those things can be done by nonheadphone wearers, it's just that it far more likely if someone's wearing them.

Personally I think it's the height of selfishness.

Nice way of respecting the importance of being aware of things- by completely blocking out one of your senses.

All those things can be done by nonheadphone wearers, it's just that it far more likely if someone's wearing them.

Personally I think it's the height of selfishness.

Who said anything about blocking out one of your senses. It's very easy to have music at a level to enable you to listen to it while hearing what is happening around you. Have you ever had the radio on while at work for example?

Same idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

def in the no ipods in race camp.
    respect for fellow competitors and awareness of what's going on around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Wow!
    Possibly the most elitist post I've ever seen on boards, well done.
    seriously, its attitudes like that that will turn people off running

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

They would be dangerous if you were just running around thinking you were the Real Slim Shady and you can't hear anybody.

event wrote: »
    Wow!

Thanks!

Although I never said anything about running. This being the triathlon forum, I was talking about tris. And unless you've got some underwater headphones, you're going to have to stop and take the time to consciously put on the ipod, headphone etc. So it's a complete and totally avoidable waste of time.

Running is different- because you've it on from the start it's not necessarily going to slow you down. It's just rude and obnoxious, and unnecessarily dangerous.

Thanks!

Although I never said anything about running. This being the triathlon forum, I was talking about tris. And unless you've got some underwater headphones, you're going to have to stop and take the time to consciously put on the ipod, headphone etc. So it's a complete and totally avoidable waste of time.

Running is different- because you've it on from the start it's not necessarily going to slow you down. It's just rude and obnoxious, and unnecessarily dangerous.

Obviously it's only the running leg of a triathlon that they would be used in.

I'm not quite sure what kind of music player you have, but modern mp3s are not near as complicated as you would think. I had mine laid out so all I had to do was strap it to my arm and un-pause it. T2 was 53 seconds, I'm guessing I lost, at most 3 seconds, but I wasn't competing for a top 3 finish so didn't mind.

How is running different? Are you saying it's ok to wear headphones in a marathon but not the running leg of a tri??:confused:

And please explain what is so "obnoxious" about the whole situation?

I'm getting the impression that some evil earphone wearer whopped your ass in a tri before and you've never gotten over it.

Obviously it's only the running leg of a triathlon that they would be used in.

I'm not quite sure what kind of music player you have, but modern mp3s are not near as complicated as you would think. I had mine laid out so all I had to do was strap it to my arm and un-pause it. T2 was 53 seconds, I'm guessing I lost, at most 3 seconds, but I wasn't competing for a top 3 finish so didn't mind.

How is running different? Are you saying it's ok to wear headphones in a marathon but not the running leg of a tri??:confused:

And please explain what is so "obnoxious" about the whole situation?

I'm getting the impression that some evil earphone wearer whopped your ass in a tri before and you've never gotten over it.

Running is different because the player is already on your arm when you start. I've never seen anyone wear one in a tri- probably because people respect the rules of the event (they're always expressly banned).

I've seen plenty of problems in running races caused by the random movement of headphone-wearing competitors.

It's obnoxious because you're basically putting your own comfort ahead of the other participants' safety and it's two-fingers to the people supporting or shouting encouragement from the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Is it ok for me to use my mobile phone in the car whilst driving? I know there are rules and stuff that say I can't but I only keep my conversations short and unlike those other eejits I don't cause crashes when using my mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

event wrote: »
    Wow!

Except for the fact he was talking about triathlon..............

And its not the most elitist post by a long shot. Quite a few posts over the years saying things like > 3:30 for a marathon and you might as well stay in bed.

Lets be honest, for most of the head phone wearers its not "running" its "fast walking" or at best "jogging".

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I really don't understand why people are complaining about rules like these. They are put in place for very good reasons, same as no cycling in transition and the mandatory kit rule in multisport races. You don't get to ignore or break rules because you don't like them or think they don't apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Is it ok for me to use my mobile phone in the car whilst driving? I know there are rules and stuff that say I can't but I only keep my conversations short and unlike those other eejits I don't cause crashes when using my mobile phone.

Do you listen to your car stereo?
    I don't use earphones when I'm racing because it is banned and even if it wasn't it would just be too awkward in a race situation, but i do think the safety issue is a bit overstated.

tunney wrote: »
    Lets be honest, for most of the head phone wearers its not "running" its "fast walking" or at best "jogging".

This is one of the most elitest posts I've ever read.

Why would you associate wearing head phones with a slower runner?

No wonder the triathlon movement has a higher proportion of w@nkers associated with it than the general population with statements like that.

This is one of the most elitest posts I've ever read.

Doesn't make it any less true.

Who said anything about blocking out one of your senses. It's very easy to have music at a level to enable you to listen to it while hearing what is happening around you. Have you ever had the radio on while at work for example?

Same idea.

Is the radio stuck in your ear while your traveling at 25 to 30k per hr ?

tunney wrote: »
    Doesn't make it any less true.

It does actually. And it is just your elitest opinion, not a fact in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's completely true. Stand at the finish line of any (running) race, and count the number of headphone wearers in the top 100 finishers, then count the number in the last 100. Go to a race with wave starts, count the number of headphone wearers in the first wave (and then see how many of those are supposed to be in the first wave:rolleyes:) and in the last wave.

Advertisement