Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones in races (Mod Post #121)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

No wonder the triathlon movement has a higher proportion of w@nkers associated with it than the general population with statements like that.

Good on ye, you tell us. Stick those headphones back on there like a good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

longshank wrote: »
    but i do think the safety issue is a bit overstated.

There was a recent survey that found that pedestrian deaths linked to the wearing of headphones were on the increase, edit, here's a link to a story on it
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/01/16/distraction-study-headphones-injuries-bmj-journal_n_1208782.html

Although it concerns pedestrians, I think it can translate across.

There's been a few elitist threads in the general ART forum but this is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Your opinion on if you should be allowed to wear headfones or not does not matter.
    It is clearly stated in all race briefings that headfones are not permitted, don't like it? Tough ****, don't race.
    6.4. Illegal Equipment:
    a.) Headphone(s) and headset(s), mobile phones or any other electronic listening
    communication device;

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

RayCun wrote: »
    It's completely true. Stand at the finish line of any (running) race, and count the number of headphone wearers in the top 100 finishers, then count the number in the last 100. Go to a race with wave starts, count the number of headphone wearers in the first wave (and then see how many of those are supposed to be in the first wave:rolleyes:) and in the last wave.

Not everyone who competes is expecting a top 10 finish. It is possible to do a respectable time (2.20-2.30) and still listen to some music along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There was a recent survey that found that pedestrian deaths linked to the wearing of headphones were on the increase, edit, here's a link to a story on it
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/01/16/distraction-study-headphones-injuries-bmj-journal_n_1208782.html

Although it concerns pedestrians, I think it can translate across.

There's been a few elitist threads in the general ART forum but this is not one of them.

Seeing as you choose to quote this article, from the same article:

Chris Peck, policy coordinator at cycling safety group CTC, said:
    "Although a lot of cyclist do use their hearing to alert them to hazards on the roads, there is no rule against the deaf cycling. It's probably not the kind of thing a sensible cyclist would do, but we don't think there should be a law against it.
    "If pedestrians are unaware of their surroundings then communication is going to be harder, but the same thing would apply to people in cars playing very loud music."

As I say the safety issue is possibly overstated, if you keep to this line of thinking then ban the following:
    1. Wind
    2. Deaf cyclists/motorists
    3. Aero Helmets (nice little bubble in there :D)
    4. Car stereos
    5. Car windows
    6. Talking!!
    etc etc etc
    in fact just go back to a man with a red flag walking in front of an open top car!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Not everyone who competes is expecting a top 10 finish. It is possible to do a respectable time (2.20-2.30) and still listen to some music along the way!

Nobody said it wasn't possible. It was said that its not done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I'm confused. Is this thread about wearing headphones in running races or triathlons?

If its running races then work away, enjoy your rubbish music (its ALL rubbish these days) and run your race as you are unlikely to be getting in the way of faster athletes.

If its triathlons then its clearly stated in the race briefing of all races that they are not allowed, and for good reason, hence you shouldn't wear them. Anyone who ignores this is clearly a selfish ar*e and should rightly be DQ'd and pulled off the course for everyones sake.

Seeing as you choose to quote this article, from the same article:

Chris Peck, policy coordinator at cycling safety group CTC, said:
    "Although a lot of cyclist do use their hearing to alert them to hazards on the roads, there is no rule against the deaf cycling. It's probably not the kind of thing a sensible cyclist would do, but we don't think there should be a law against it.
    "If pedestrians are unaware of their surroundings then communication is going to be harder, but the same thing would apply to people in cars playing very loud music."

What's that got to do with wearing headphones in races ?

I'm confused. Is this thread about wearing headphones in running races or triathlons?

If its running races then work away, enjoy your rubbish music (its ALL rubbish these days) and run your race as you are unlikely to be getting in the way of faster athletes.

If its triathlons then its clearly stated in the race briefing of all races that they are not allowed, and for good reason, hence you shouldn't wear them. Anyone who ignores this is clearly a selfish ar*e and should rightly be DQ'd and pulled off the course for everyones sake.

Given its in the Tri/DU/Messing sub forum it is meant to be about tri races, adn thats what the OP is but a fun runner waddled in and got upset.

Dunno, saw a blind lad in a duathlon, worked out fine for him.
    Still wouldn't cycle to work with my eyes closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

its very simple, its in the rules that they arent allowed, we all abide by it and if someone doesnt like it, dont race...very very simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Daz1214 wrote: »
    its very simple, its in the rules that they arent allowed, we all abide by it and if someone doesnt like it, dont race...very very simple

I think its people who still want to wear them that are simple...........not the rules;)

What's the difference between wearing them in a straight race (marathon) and the 10k run of a tri?

What's the difference between wearing them in a straight race (marathon) and the 10k run of a tri?

1. It's in the rules.

Do I really need to continue?

a straight race has a set distance with a start and finish point...at tri's, you might have a try race, sprint and oly race all with competiors on the run course at the same time...there will be a different amount of laps, possible a slight variation to the course between races and the rule allows marshal to do there job and have the attention of all competitors. if someone wants to ignore marshals with earphones in it could possibly cause problems for them and other competitors.

i really dont see why you are so wound up over this, a rule is a rule and whether you like it or not, thats how it is

THE RULES !!!!!!

1. It's in the rules.

Do I really need to continue?

You seem to think it has no impact on running races just triathlons. Why is that?

(It's also in the rules for marathons btw)

You seem to think it has no impact on running races just triathlons. Why is that?

Not ture, each race sets their own rules.

As has already been explained in this thread (if you bothered to read it all), in run races there is very very rarely someone approaching from behind at a much faster pace. Fast people start at the front slower people start behind them and it stays that way throughout, it very little overtaking and when there is overtaking the difference in speed is very small. In triathlons you have poor bikers/swimmer and much faster runners. You also have multi wave/ mulit lap runs on narrow courses or places where the run course shares the road with the bike course. So there is regularly people flying past at 40km+ on the bike, or 33/34min 10km'ers overtaking 50min+ 10kers. If you have headphones on you won't hear the marshalls warning of the approaching bikes, you won't hear the faster guy approaching from behind.

But then you won't bother reading that because it doen't help your argument and you'll still argue that you should be allowed listen to music.

As has already been explained in this thread (if you bothered to read it all), in run races there is very very rarely someone approaching from behind at a much faster pace. Fast people start at the front slower people start behind them and it stays that way throughout, it very little overtaking and when there is overtaking the difference in speed is very small. In triathlons you have poor bikers/swimmer and much faster runners. You also have multi wave/ mulit lap runs on narrow courses or places where the run course shares the road with the bike course. So there is regularly people flying past at 40km+ on the bike, or 33/34min 10km'ers overtaking 50min+ 10kers. If you have headphones on you won't hear the marshalls warning of the approaching bikes, you won't hear the faster guy approaching from behind.

But then you won't bother reading that because it doen't help your argument and you'll still argue that you should be allowed listen to music.

You seem to think that just because you have headphones in you can hear nothing of what's happening around you.

Most mp3 players have volume settings. You set it at a volume that enables you to hear the music but also hear any warnings, marshalls etc.

It's all very simple really.

• Advertisement

You seem to think that just because you have headphones in you can hear nothing of what's happening around you.

Most mp3 players have volume settings. You set it at a volume that enables you to hear the music but also hear any warnings, marshalls etc.

Something is very simply alright.

whats even simpler is its against the rules and thats the long and short of it...as said, if you disagree and feel that strongly about it, dont race tri...we dont have an issue with it, its the rules

Oh, well then please forgive me.

You are clearly a special case and should be allowed do as you please.

I will sign your petition to TI to allow you boycott the rules.
    :rolleyes:

Indeed, there is one thing around here thats rather simple:rolleyes:

Were you in the movie the ringer ???

Do you check the volume on every mp3 player before the start:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

a lot more than your quote about pedestrians being killed, most of which were killed by trains if you bothered reading more than the headline!

Indeed, there is one thing around here thats rather simple:rolleyes:

Were you in the movie the ringer ???

Do you check the volume on every mp3 player before the start:confused::rolleyes:

No just my own.

TBH I won't take much advice or smart comments off someone who needs to get custom made wet suits made for themselves.

No just my own.

TBH I won't take much advice or smart comments off someone who needs to get custom made wet suits made for themselves.

I would love a custom wetsuit. A Snugg one. I am told that the fit is superb - unlike anything over the shelf. Being the Tri/Du/Mess board everyone here of course knows that the better the fit the better the performance. Also Snugg custom are comparable in price to off the shelf. Might get one next year.

Very jealous of the custom wetsuit elvis!

No just my own.

A custom made wet suit, i wish, nope its an 2XU R2 XL :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No just my own.
    Yes, and it has been established that normal rules should not apply to you.
    elvis has his first stalker. Cool.

Seriously, do you go into the Motor Tax office and ask for a rebate because you only use your car in the mornings? Nope cos thats not how RULES work. You may not like them and if so, find a race that allows headphones.

You are also confusing elitism with realism.

• Advertisement

a lot more than your quote about pedestrians being killed, most of which were killed by trains if you bothered reading more than the headline!

If you bothered to read my post, I said it relates to pedestrians but can translate to a race situation.

Advertisement