Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones in races (Mod Post #121)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Oryx wrote: »
    Yes, and it has been established that normal rules should not apply to you.

elvis has his first stalker. Cool.

No not stalking, he just mentioned he was 5'10" and 16 stone and was looking for a place that sells extra sized suits in another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

No not stalking, he just mentioned he was 5'10" and 16 stone and was looking for a place that sells extra sized suits in another thread.

Nope, i'm 5' 9"................if your going to try and insult me then at least make me smaller and fatter:)

But the thing is, i'm losing weight..........you'll always be dumb enough to think you can change the rules just for you. I think it would be right to say that your, eh "special":)

Have a lovely day and enjoy your music while you run.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Yawn.

Yawn.

mrbungle wrote: »
    Yawn.

Sorry i didn't hear you the 1st time, i was wearing my headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

and whats your point here....
    He has my respect for working out, I cant see why would somebody respect you after this comment.
    It would be better you delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

the childish, immature insults really dont do much for your argument...you arent winning so you resort to ridiculous comments.

fair play Elvis, keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you bothered to read my post, I said it relates to pedestrians but can translate to a race situation.

the point is i did read your post but also read the article...it relates to pedestrians and states amongest other things "more than half (55%) of the victims were struck by trains." hence my point was it doesn't translate to a discussion about wearing headphones in triathlon races unless there are trains involved!!
    I felt the other quote was more relevant but as it didn't support your argument you rightly choose to ignore it.
    I guess I'm reading what I like into it and your reading what you like into it...lies damn lies and statistics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

longshank wrote: »
    the point is i did read your post but also read the article...it relates to pedestrians and states amongest other things "more than half (55%) of the victims were struck by trains." hence my point was it doesn't translate to a discussion about wearing headphones in triathlon races unless there are trains involved!!
    I felt the other quote was more relevant but as it didn't support your argument you rightly choose to ignore it.
    I guess I'm reading what I like into it and your reading what you like into it...lies damn lies and statistics!!

To be fair, if you can't hear a train you'll not be able to hear a fellow runner/marshall/bike.

isn't that a problem with the new electric cars, others can't hear them coming and there have been a number of pedestrians knocked down by them because of the silence.

• Advertisement

To be fair, if you can't hear a train you'll not be able to hear a fellow runner/marshall/bike.

fair point....could be read that way too....unless it was an electric train.....

fair point....could be read that way too....unless it was an electric train.....

Stop stealing my boring points:D

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

I like to run with music on but i understand the banning of these in Tri's, although they should prob be banned in running events too for consistency. However, i don't think its a major safety concern as no matter how much some1 is steaming up behind when running its prob not going to hurt that badly for either, it'd be like being softly pushed over on the rugby field with the offender (i.e. the person listening to music) most likely getting the brunt of it as they would have less momentum.

As a matter of interest what else is banned, I know flippers etc are banned but i was thinking of something like a snorkel for the swim which would seriuosly help breathing capacity and time if u could minimise the zig zagging?

Redzah wrote: »
    I like to run with music on but i understand the banning of these in Tri's, although they should prob be banned in running events too for consistency. However, i don't think its a major safety concern as no matter how much some1 is steaming up behind when running its prob not going to hurt that badly for either, it'd be like being softly pushed over on the rugby field with the offender (i.e. the person listening to music) most likely getting the brunt of it as they would have less momentum.

As a matter of interest what else is banned, I know flippers etc are banned but i was thinking of something like a snorkel for the swim which would seriuosly help breathing capacity and time if u could minimise the zig zagging?

I was well pi$$esd off when i was told i couldn't use my Honda 50:mad:

what about an electric bike or would it be too be too dangerous!!!:D

what about an electric bike or would it be too be too dangerous!!!:D

Not at all, i was willing to put a playing card in the spokes to make a lovely noise as i went along.

:D Cheers, i suppose its all non-propelled related things I was referring to, such as the use of a snorkel, i.e. does not aid being propelled forward, its just a breathing mechanism, sorry for going slightly off topic it just got me thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Heres a link to the updated ITU rules all 128 pages of them.

The in race penalties & violations start at page 124.

gottarun wrote: »
    Heres a link to the updated ITU rules all 128 pages of them.

The in race penalties & violations start at page 124.

Cheers, seeing as a snorkel is not included in the illegal items in 4.b on page 17 i assume they are legal. Any idea why competitors don't use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Cheers, seeing as a snorkel is not included in the illegal items in 4.b on page 17 i assume they are legal. Any idea why competitors don't use them?

In open water would there be any benefit to using one? Probably not worth the risk of someone catching your snorkel and half drowning you by accident.

Interesting comment on another website:

The British Triathlon Federation rules do not include snorkel use, so snorkels are therefore banned by omission.

Seems it can be down to the race director or technical official to make a call on this. Just like bags / boxes in transition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

For reference, headphones are banned in all IMRA races. An automatic DSQ for anyone who lacks the intelligence to figure out any of the number of reasons why they're a bad idea.

And it has potential to be a bit more than a soft push. I've personally had a collision in a running race that sent the other lad about 6 feet backwards before he hit the (luckily soft) deck. And that was just simple not paying attention to descending runners, even without the added stupidity of earphones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 boucher

OP here. I think I got the right answer in post no. 3. I understand why they shouldn't be used.

But 8 pages of a thread and a lot of bitching and cheap shots later is a bit mad.

While some people gave good reasoning and advice, the stink of elitism on this thread, by obviously the more accomplished triathletes, is pretty pathetic.

Having read a few other threads it seems to be the same posters over and over again with some serious superiority complex, very off putting for newcomers in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the advice.

boucher wrote: »
    OP here. I think I got the right answer in post no. 3. I understand why they shouldn't be used.

But 8 pages of a thread and a lot of bitching and cheap shots later is a bit mad.

While some people gave good reasoning and advice, the stink of elitism on this thread, by obviously the more accomplished triathletes, is pretty pathetic.

Having read a few other threads it seems to be the same posters over and over again with some serious superiority complex, very off putting for newcomers in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the advice.

Well said.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks for the advice.
    If you think a thread is going off course, or if you want it closed, you can report a post and request that moderators look at it. Yeah, people can come across as a bit up themselves, but I promise you, you wont find a more helpful bunch anywhere, even if its a bit odd when you start posting.

Thanks for the advice.

as you duly add to the bitching:rolleyes:- i think the clue is in the term "discussion board"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BMCTIMEMACHINE

tunney wrote: »
    Think about straight running races is that, assuming everyone paces sounding, you're not going to be over taken by someone moving drastically faster than you. Imagine in a tri a very slow swimmer, who is an okay biker but a 32 minute 10ker - coming past a 45 minute waddler at quite a difference in speed.

<<Snip>> ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

<<Snip>>,

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

<<Snip>>,

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Thanks for the advice.

I find this type of comment amusing. Someone posts a question and when they dont get the answer they like, they start to argue why they should get a special dispensation. Similar thread on the biking forum a few months back about a guy who wanted to cycle the wrong way on a dual carriage-way because it he didnt want to look behind him for merging traffic on on-ramps. He also got upset when people thought that it was against the rules and generally a bad idea. Threw his toys out of the pram.

All the replies on page 1 give valid reasons for it - mainly that its against the rules. Also, people give examples of personal experience during races where people wearing music caused some obstructions. And the response to this is "whatever, I dont feel this rule should apply to me".

When they are called out on this, they start personally insult other members and start name calling (ok, both sides eventually revert to this).

As one poster alluded to, this is a growing tendancy in sports (and life in general) of people deciding that if they dont like some rules they dont have to adhere to them. Ever ask yourself why that rule might apply to triathlons and not running races? Some posters gave very good examples of fast runners passing slow runners. I would simply say that these rules exist in triathlon for the general safety and comfort of all racers. If you dont have respect enough for your fellow competitors, the marshals (who give up their time) and the race organisers to obey a few simple rules, then you shouldnt enter the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ok Folks, I'm leaving this one run for now as there is a good discussion at the heart of it. However direct name calling or insinuation of character, regardless of how well posters may know each other, is frowned upon. Call each other out fine, call each other names not fine.

Next time will not be words, it will be infraction or thread closed.

Advertisement