Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap garden centres in Dublin?

Options
  • 18-06-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows any reasonably priced garden centres in Dublin? I end up spending a fortune funds are tight now so I am taking as many cuttings as I can. Looking for places that do cottage garden style plants esp Poppies, lupins, wallflowers, snapdragons and various shrubs like fushias, forsythia, broom, hebes I went to one in Dublin 3 one day and they were charging €27 for one Oriental poppy :eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

miss choc wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows any reasonably priced garden centres in Dublin? I end up spending a fortune funds are tight now so I am taking as many cuttings as I can. Looking for places that do cottage garden style plants esp Poppies, lupins, wallflowers, snapdragons and various shrubs like fushias, forsythia, broom, hebes I went to one in Dublin 3 one day and they were charging €27 for one Oriental poppy :eek:

Kinsealy Garden Centre,Plantegen in Malahide,Tulleys Nurseries in Ballyboughal, and also the likes of Homebase and B&Q too.

Woodies also do some nice plants and regulary do a 3 for 2 on plants and flowers.

You can also buy summer flower seeds and bulbs from Lidl,Aldi and any of the EuroGiant shops for 2 euro a pack. A pack has anywhere from 8 to 50 bulbs in them.:)

We planted an absolute heap of various bulbs like alliums and also plants like foxgloves and all the bulbs came up and are floweing at the moment.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tullys Nurseries are doing specials on Fridays for "Fiver Friday"

http://www.tullynurseries.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Kinsealy is near to me might try there. Woodies does have some good plants sometimes though I like to go to a garden centre for a bit more variety. I bought the shake and rake seed boxes in Aldi they are kinda hit and miss I have some nasturiums and other wild flowers growing but the boxes are so cheap didnt mind I bought poppy seeds a few month ago got to seedling stage and then decided to wilt and die :mad: so decided to buy the mature poppy plant from now on and collect the seed heads I have my eye on a beautiful double scarlet oriental poppy my mother has those seeds will be handled with care. They should do a cuttings and seed swap shop in Ireland ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ratoath garden centre (previously known as the cottage garden centre) are good and knowledgeable, and reasonable in price. they've plenty of cottage style plants.

Advertisement