Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US license to Irish??

• 18-06-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi. I have been living in Ireland for four years and previously held a license in the US. However, because I have been living here that is now expired. Because I have lived here over a year, it is my understanding that I will have to go through the same process as everyone else here. Can anyone familiarize me with that process? I need the license for work but am on a very low wage so I will need to know the cheapest way possible. I drove for seven years in the states, so will i still be considered a "learner"? Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

There is good news and bad news.
    Bad News: You are required to do the theory test and the twelve EDT driving lessons.
    Good News: You will not need to wait six months before sitting your test. You can get a letter from your US licencing authority to say if you have a full US licence and driving experience. If you get a decent ADI they will be able to structure your EDT lessons as pre-test lessons. So the full Irish licence test should end up easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, what State are you from? How long has your US DL been expired for? In Georgia (where I used to live) your drivers license can be renewed online, as long as it has not been expired for 2 years or more. They mail the new one out to you. Your residential address doesn't have to be the same as your mailing one. I presume most States are the same.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/dldata.aspx?con=1742949265&ty=dl

You can drive here for a years on your US license. The year starts from when you start driving, not from when you first get here. If you want to get an Irish DL, you have to go thru the same process as Irish people do...do your theory test, get your eye exam, get your learner permit, do your 12 EDT lessons and sit your test.

The advantage of you having your US DL while you are going thru all that, is that you can drive unaccompanied, and you can drive on motorways. If you are driving here on an Irish learner permit only, you must have a fully qualified driver with you at all times, and you can't drive on motorways.

If you have/had a US DL, you also don't have to wait the 6 months from when you get your learner permit to when you can sit your test. If you send the RSA a letter from your states Dept of Transport stating your US driving history, the RSA will waive the 6 month rule.

Regarding getting your Irish learner permit on the cheap, don't buy the theory test study booklet or DVD or the Rules of the Road book. You can get them all for free at your local library. Shop around for your eye exam. It doesn't have to be done at a doctors office. I only paid 15 euros for mine at SpecSavers. Shop around for a deal on your 12 EDT lessons. A lot of driving schools are offering deals if you block book a bunch of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mkhall

thanks for the replies, my driving license is about 4 years expired in the states so unfortunately won't be able to renew that. Thanks for the advice ill def follow it! :)

Advertisement