Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An aul trip to the Olympics

• 18-06-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm obviously not the quickest spoon in the drawer... but recently missus started on to me....

"Are we going to go to the Olympics" she says...

"Well I didn't think that was your sort of thing" says I

Now if any of you have missuses.... let me tell you.... never tell them that something is or is not their sort of thing...

So there I am now... looking for some sort an aul trip.... and all the lotteries over.... or are they? Can you just turn up to the likes of the marathon? and are there other events that you can just turn up to?

So my question is this... Is it too late to go plannin an aul trip to the Olympics? Even a day trip?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Eh yeah, too late, considering they sold more tickets than they should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You can't get tickets and I would say it will be nearly impossible to get accommodation this late.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

How does an 'aul' trip differ from a regular one?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

There are a couple of events with some tickets, but none of the popular ones of course. I think you can buy a pass to get into the Olympic park, for a bit of an explore if that's your thing, won't see any sport though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

stevenmu wrote: »

Spelt differently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The two marathons, two Triathlons, various walking events, Road Cycling and the 10K swim are all free events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

camp at one of the occupy sites for free accomodation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

You can still see some of the events but you ain't seeing the inside of a stadium/arena

The free sporting events at the Olympics:
    http://www.visitlondon.com/events/sport/free-sporting-events-at-the-london-2012-olympic-and-paralympic-games

There will be hotels available (take up has been terrible after some price gouging apparently) but they won't be cheap

Accommodation at the Olympics:
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=hotels+in+london

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

ANewStart wrote: »
    I'm obviously not the quickest spoon in the drawer.

You're OK - it's not the spoon Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Fly to London to stay in your room and watch it on the TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd imagine there would be events that still have tickets available. Get in contact with them to find out. Even if its only the first round of the ladies clay pigeon shooting it would still be nice to have attended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I can't believe the events sold out :confused: there can't be that big of a demand to watch ladies hammerthrow like...

What about the Paralympics?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

phasers wrote: »
    I can't believe the events sold out :confused: there can't be that big of a demand to watch ladies hammerthrow like...

What about the Paralympics?

It's not just that they "sold out," they oversold for most of the events. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Jaysus. Were they expensive?

phasers wrote: »
    Jaysus. Were they expensive?

Dunno, only remember reading about them offering refunds or tickets for other events that hadn't sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

stevenmu wrote: »

It smells of piss and is a bit feeble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Sign up with the ticket portal. I got an email a couple of days ago saying more tickets were going on sale. they've probably sold out now but I'd be surprised if they are the last ones. Every country signed up to the IOC have a ticket allocation and I think that left-overs are trickling back now to be put back on sale to the public.

I've got tickets to a few events. Very much looking forward to it. Bring on the Handball and Greco-Roman Wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I'm positive that there won't be a full house in the main stadium for the morning sessions, bar maybe anything involving Bolt. There never is.

Makes you wonder how there's no tickets. Do they sell them on a day basis? Or spilt tickets into morning /nights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,579 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was there not an article in a recent travel supplement - can't remember which paper, sorry - about how all the hotels are now panicking as they didn't sell their (hugely overpriced) room, and there are knockdown packages available and getting cheaper all the time.

I also seem to remember something about 45,000 (? might have got that figure wrong) tickets still available for various events.

John.Icy wrote: »
    I'm positive that there won't be a full house in the main stadium for the morning sessions, bar maybe anything involving Bolt. There never is.

Makes you wonder how there's no tickets. Do they sell them on a day basis? Or spilt tickets into morning /nights?

Every session of the athletics is sold out, bar the odd seat coming back from abroad.

They split them into three sessions per day, morning, afternoon and evening.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I also seem to remember something about 45,000 (? might have got that figure wrong) tickets still available for various events.

The number of tickets available is huge. Seven figures. But they're almost all for football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

That's nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

There's loads of unsold tickets for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Not the feckin Olympics.
    Just back from Poland and I couldn't sing another word never mind line of The fields of feckin Athenry.
    Being an Irish man in love of sport I feel compelled to go and give the lads a shout.
    Ole le ole le oh ley but iv drank so much the last 3 weeks my guts are hanging out of me. Send in the reserves any jersey will do Rugby, soccer or even your County GAA colours; come on do it for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The two marathons, two Triathlons, various walking events, Road Cycling and the 10K swim are all free events.
    So....the boring (from a spectator POV) events.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Was there not an article in a recent travel supplement - can't remember which paper, sorry - about how all the hotels are now panicking as they didn't sell their (hugely overpriced) room, and there are knockdown packages available and getting cheaper all the time.
    Sounds like marketing spin to drive up demand.
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    The number of tickets available is huge. Seven figures. But they're almost all for football.
    Hopefully empty stadiums will send a message to the IOC. U23 (+3 23yrs+) football has no place at the Olympics. If a gold medal isn't the pinnacle of your sport then it shouldn't be at the Olympics. Most players would rather win the following;
    • World Cup
    • European Championships/African CON/etc
    • Champions League
    • Premiership
    • FA Cup
    • Actual senior cap

If the empty stadiums send a message to the IOC it should be about the ticket prices. Football made up something like two thirds of the available tickets yet the prices were at a level that it was never going to sell out especially, I'm sad to say, the women's football games.

I think the players do want to be involved. Messi defied Barcelona to play four years ago, the likes of Giggs have made clear how much it would mean to him to get a chance to play in a tournament despite winning everything at club level and it'll be a great experience for the players who go. I read an interview with Neil Taylor of Swansea today in which he made clear how keen players were to play for Team GB next month.

But UAE vs Uruguay was never going to sell out 70,000 seats at Old Trafford at £60 a pop and Japan women vs South Africa women was certainly not going to sell the Millennium Stadium out.

Advertisement