Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you work in a Morgue ?

• 18-06-2012 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I have seen a thread in the Waterford forum where the OP was looking for advice on working in a Morgue

Would AHers handle this Job ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

WIZE wrote: »

probably a bit too well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No prob

Dead people don't bother me with their bitching, moaning, backstabbing and office politics

Well if I hear moaning in the morgue then the dead have arisen :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah, I have no issues with things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

not having to pay a hooker for sex, just crack open a cold one when the mood hits ya.

its a win win, heck time it right and YOU get paid for sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

No recession there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I'd have no issue with being there but I dont have a clue what goes on in there. If it was pushing dead people about then yeah I'd do it for a small fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Jarren wrote: »
    No recession there.

No Celtic Tiger either ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I'd say it would be deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know, I heard that people in the morgue are flat out most of the time, don't know if I could keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Might be wrong, but from what I know, it would invovle breaking some bones(jaw- fingers- legs etc) some cleaning of the bodily fluids which come out after death, and other such nice things.

I have worked in Nursing homes before and have had to prepare bodies straight after someone has died, that itself is gross enough I couldn't imagine having to carry out some procedures a couple of hours or even a day after someone has died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

No. Last time I visited one it was fierce cold and there were dead people everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Over my dead body!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Yeah wouldn't bother me at all.

There's worse jobs, and I'm not freaked out by anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Might be wrong, but from what I know, it would invovle breaking some bones(jaw- fingers- legs etc) some cleaning of the bodily fluids which come out after death, and other such nice things.

I have worked in Nursing homes before and have had to prepare bodies straight after someone has died, that itself is gross enough I couldn't imagine having to carry out some procedures a couple of hours or even a day after someone has died.

This is what would freak me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Can I earn extra money by taking out the gold teeth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I have seen a thread in the Waterford forum where the OP was looking for advice on working in a Morgue

When I first read the thread title I though, yeah I'd have no problems at all working around corpses, but then I thought, what if a dead child arrived down? - Now that, I'd have a problem with. I'd find handling a child's dead body very upsetting.

My father did.
    Not a nice job at all, even a perfectly calm relaxed person can get the jitters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

You have to stick things up their bum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

At least there would be no one to bother you at work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Nope. What if they wake up at night and eat my sandwiches??! I'll have to go hungry then... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I used to work in an Egyptian morgue, you lot fill in the rest :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'd like to work in the funeral home in six feet under, I'm not sure whether its a morgue or not though ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No. I wouldn't be caught dead in one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

you dont get bothered in the morgue by dead people - plus

doing all the procedures like breaking bones cleaning fluids - not such a plus

but its still a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

ah i wouldnt mind it at all!

Its not like you would have much to do in fairness...dead bodies cant do much anyway!

Plus dead bodies dont really freak me out so i wouldnt mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I would. You know that work won't dry up and you don't have to deal with alive people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I see dead people... They're everywhere.
    KTRIC wrote: »
    I used to work in an Egyptian morgue, you lot fill in the rest :pac:
    Mummy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Your customers giving you the cold shoulder....

I'll get my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

It a sure fire way to make extra money with the nacrofeliacs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's probably best that I'm not allowed near morgues.

I'd just make puppets out of everyone and scare the shìte out of people or make a home action movie were I blow them all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It's probably best that I'm not allowed near morgues.

I'd just make puppets out of everyone and scare the shìte out of people or make a home action movie were I blow them all up.

Or turn them into flying helecoptors!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'd imagine you must feel pretty honoured to work in a morgue or in a funeral home. People trusting you with the remains of their nearest and dearest. And having to deal with a family when they're in an awful way. I've seen some excellent funeral director people, and some awful, and by fcuk do the good ones earn their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Sure people are dying to get into that business.

In fairness, If you get over the dead people issue, it would be a fine job and an opportunity to help people (bereaved families) at a very tough time in there lives...if you do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Only if there were guaranteed Weekend at Bernies type escapades.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know, I heard that people in the morgue are flat out most of the time, don't know if I could keep up.

Nah you'd have it handy because I heard they're always lying down on the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I would love to yes..but i know full well i would look like a psychopath.. sobbing sadly whilst tending to dead bodies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I've said before on here that I work in the hospital.

I much prefer taking the bodies down to the morgue than I do moving living patients. I hate small talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I always wanted to work in a funeral home, when I was a kid. Not so sure now. A friend of my mother's has a snow white chunk of hair. When I asked her why, she told me she was working as a cleaner in a morgue, when one of the bodies sat up all by itself:eek:. Something to do with the force of air leaving the body. No thanks:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is all the gurgling and flatulence

might be better to work in a foreign morgue, less chance of bumping into someone you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nah you'd have it handy because I heard they're always lying down on the job.
    I heard they find that very offensive but keep a stiff upper lip about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

At least you'd not go out of a job to so. Constant supply after all. Sure if you're worried about a bit of gurgling just put on the radio or something, but you might want to hold off on listening to your favourite Black Metal band if your expecting a delivery.

Not sure how often a morgue tech would have to deal with the living relatives. All the crying...
    Only time you'd have to really worry is if horizontal house guest happened to die from some type of disease, or if the zombie apocalypse started. You'd probably be the first to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

When I first read the thread title I though, yeah I'd have no problems at all working around corpses, but then I thought, what if a dead child arrived down? - Now that, I'd have a problem with. I'd find handling a child's dead body very upsetting.

Someone has to do it though. Pathology was a career path I was considering, but some some personal stuff got in the way and I never followed it through. Always something I can continue if I wanted to of course.

It's not a pleasant career, but as I said above, someone has to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Dead bodies can be ickey! I think people would find it more disturbing than they might think. Although on the plus side, the opportunity for illegal practical jokes would be endless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Imagine the conversation at home though:

'How was your day love, kept busy?'

'Ah no, not really - it was dead all day in fact'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Maybe for a good wage.. possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

It would become normal to interract with dead bodies after a short while. Yeah i would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

WTF OP!!! What's said in the Waterford forum stays in the Waterford forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah. Wouldn't bother me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I almost applied to an ad for a trainee embalmer. I'm a trained make-up artist so didn't think there would be much difference. But I spoke to a relative who is a pathologist and a lady who used to do flowers for funeral homes and both turned me off the idea. The florist told me many become alcoholics. And well didn't fancy the heavy lifting. Wasn't sure I could deal with the dead bodies...

Went on to do anatomy in college and I had no problem with the cadevars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

a job is a job. you would get used to it. I know folks who work in hospitals and have to watch people die.

• Advertisement
Advertisement