Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for part time work in September?

Options
  • 18-06-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey lads, basically I'm going to college in September, and the only way I can afford to live is if I have a part time job.
    I've been looking all over Dublin for summer work since April, but haven't gotten anything back. I've sent out about 50 CVs.
    For the moment, I'm back home in the countryside, and that's grand for the summer, although I would have really liked to work and save up some money :( I'm still looking though!
    But it's necessary to get a job in September, or December at the very latest (I have some money saved up I can live off). Can anyone give me any advice on what the best course of action would be? Or, what are the odds of me snatching a job in September? Surely some students will quit their summer jobs and there could be openings, right?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Liinniejj

i'd say your best bet is search in September when all the summer temps everywhere are back to college and homecountrys

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

If you're home for the summer and there is no paid work, then find a bar that will train you and give you work experience without pay and possibly waiter training. This way you will have a little experience for september. When you go back in September, try the O2 arena or other weekend orientated venues so the job doesn't cut into your college life too much.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

50 CVs isn't a lot. You need to be sending out an awful lot more than that! Make 3 or 4 different versions of your CV for the different areas you'll be applying for - retail, waiting, bartending, cleaning etc. And send out billions of them. Apply online, by post and in person. Also check the Penneys site regularly for all their Dublin branches; they're an excellent employer who don't require previous experience and don't mind taking on students. They usually take on people in May and November.

Also have a plan B in case you can't find work. It's very very very difficult for unexperienced college students.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jadii

Thanks lads, will try in august/september so!
    50 CVs isn't a lot. You need to be sending out an awful lot more than that! Make 3 or 4 different versions of your CV for the different areas you'll be applying for - retail, waiting, bartending, cleaning etc. And send out billions of them. Apply online, by post and in person. Also check the Penneys site regularly for all their Dublin branches; they're an excellent employer who don't require previous experience and don't mind taking on students. They usually take on people in May and November.

Also have a plan B in case you can't find work. It's very very very difficult for unexperienced college students.

Actually I've been checking every site I can, pennys included. They've had no listings available since I've been checking in April, and I've been checking every day. The only one I found was a job in mcdonalds which I applied for straight away, but didn't get :/ The websites of the companies have displayed nothing so far, sadly.
    I'll try again in September-ish then I think. Doesn't seem to be much out there at the moment.

I'm afraid there is no plan B for me. If I can't find work then I can't go to college, there are no ifs or buts about it. I'm self supported so unless I get a job, I just can't go.
    Actually I'm not inexperienced, I've had jobs in the past and I've put them on my CV... doesn't seem to help much though :(

Advertisement