Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Ireland, Poznan, KO 7:45pm

• 18-06-2012 2:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Come on let's get a good result and finish third in the group :)

RTE 2 / BBC 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Get a good result, avoid being the worst team in European Championship history (which is a possibility apparently) and then celebrate the achievement wildy, hopefully pissing off Roy Keane in the process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Knock out the Italians aswell...:D We all know the whole exercise of the first two matches was luring the Italians into a false sense of security :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm going to a local game in the pouring rain instead, shows how bad we are.

Hopefully we keep it at 0-2 and no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Probably play the same rubbish football, even though we've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

last night in the euros think the old wolfe tones song is suitable here..........
    'here we go again, we're on the road again....................'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

YOU'LL NEVER BEAT THE IRISH!

Please this tournament be the death of that chant!

F*@kin idiots who persist with it!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

darkman2 wrote: »
    Come on let's get a good result and finish third in the group :)

RTE 2 / BBC 3

What do you reckon, a world class performance from McGeady tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

just seen the italy team photo they've put christy dignam in goals ................ at least if we get hammered he can start the sing song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, I love the likes of Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane. I've watched them give their heart and soul in a green jersey for coming on 15 years in some cases, and if this is their last hurrah I desperately want to see them be able to take something off the pitch when it's over. I don't care what football we play if we can get a result of some sort.

Going to be an emotional evening. Please let lady luck shine on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I reckon this game could be the best sing song yet,really looking forward to hearing future stars of The Voice on show............
    As for the soccer...........Cassano to bag the winner in a bore 1-0........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I desperately want to see them be able to take something off the pitch when it's over.

I don't think UEFA will take kindly to them digging out a lump of turf to keep and momento

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Ireland back to 4 4 2 tonite. I think a draw would be a good result but unlikely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Please no Fields of Athenry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, I love the likes of Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane. I've watched them give their heart and soul in a green jersey for coming on 15 years in some cases, and if this is their last hurrah I desperately want to see them be able to take something off the pitch when it's over. I don't care what football we play if we can get a result of some sort.

Going to be an emotional evening. Please let lady luck shine on them.

I can't see the four of them retiring. Can you?

If it does happen; Jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

just please don't concede a goal in the first few minutes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I can't see the four of them retiring. Can you?

If it does happen; Jaysus!

Two of them definitely gone imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I think this game is going to have the same vibe as the Euro 96 play-off vs Holland (Jack Charltons last game as manager).

We went into that game on the back of a handful of uncharacteristically heavy defeats too and faced the tie more with hope than any real expectation.

By the end of the night it was clear the jig was up and the only positive thing we could take away from the night was the Irish fans performance. Sounds familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Duff is certainly gone I think at the end of the Euros and probably Given also. Dunne is another candidate for retirement, Keane I wouldn't be so sure. He may just hang around.

Wouldn't be surprised in any way if all four retired though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Hope Ireland have one big performance left in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

They could substitute the word "always" or "easily" for "never"!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Please no Fields of Athenry :(

Yeah hopefully everyone will sit in a quiet manner and have tea and crumpets

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I just hope we can keep the score down.

2-0 Italy for me.

-Ade- wrote: »
    What do you reckon, a world class performance from McGeady tonight?

Hopefully.

Be fantastic to beat Italy. I know it's a long shot but it will give fans something to be happy about and we would have made an impact on the tournament.

Yeah hopefully everyone will sit in a quiet manner and have tea and crumpets

:rolleyes:

Or behave like fans from any other country

Or behave like fans from any other country

How is singing and chanting not behaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Taking away the media furore, Fields of Sh*t, Roy Keane, Dunphy, Giles, FAI, sh*trag sensationalism and all the accompanying circus that we have had to stomach the past while, Italy will always be a tough fixture.

My hope is that the the Irish team have overcome the dodgy starts and see how they get on if they settle the nerves and get to half time still in the game. Even still it's a big ask, but not impossible.

I'd like to think the players that have represented themselves poorly on the international stage should need no motivation to prove they are not just a footballing joke. A respectable draw perhaps.

How is singing and chanting not behaving?

Let's not get into it, but we're the only team who cheers off a bunch of hapless losers, I used to go to all the games when I lived in Ireland but I'm not sure I would bother anymore

Let's not get into it, but we're the only team who cheers off a bunch of hapless losers, I used to go to all the games when I lived in Ireland but I'm not sure I would bother anymore

The performances have been horrible and dont deserve any praise at all, booing would be more in line but I wouldnt knock any fan for doing what has happened. If they give another dire performance id rather see em booed off, but during the game they can chant/support away.

Anyways, cant see past an italy win lookin forward to seeing pirlo again magician with a ball!

I agree with your sentiment, however I always support the team and always will, as long as they give their all defeat to a better opponent on the day is forgiven, they still deserve to be applauded for their effort.

The staying behind for 45 minutes celebrating and cheering and singing when the team has put in woeful displays, thats just embarassing tbh. I often find myself wondering do the people who do that actually care about football? Or is it just the excuse to have a piss up and a party?

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    A respectable draw perhaps.

Don't forget Italy HAVE to win this game. I don't think there will be any respectable draw. I think one of the teams will win at the end. Probably Italy but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

kryogen wrote: »
    Duff is certainly gone I think at the end of the Euros and probably Given also. Dunne is another candidate for retirement, Keane I wouldn't be so sure. He may just hang around.

Wouldn't be surprised in any way if all four retired though

Keane has always said he will never retire from international football. He said it again on a SSN interview the other day.

Hopefully the team take on the same mentality as in Paris and just go for it.
    Nothing to lose now so they may aswell enjoy what will be the last game in a major tournament for alot of them.

I also think that if Trapp was looking to the next qualifying campaign he should start some of the younger players as he would get alot more out of seeing them play against an Italian team that need a result than he will in a meaningless friendly in the Aviva.

COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Hard to tell as we are the only hapless losers at the tournament. Even the Dutch amd Swedes (who have five losses for five) at least were competitive in their games (well maybe not Hol v Ger).

Anyway, I wouldn't hold it against the fans in Gdansk cheering the team as the score was 4-0. Just funny how it never happens at Lansdowne when the team are not getting the right result and the crowd are relatively sober with work the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Surprised this is on BBC3 as poor as Ireland have been this is the game with more hanging on it.

mike65 wrote: »
    Surprised this is on BBC3 as poor as Ireland have been this is the game with more hanging on it.

Thats ye bigotted English for ya Mike! ;)

The only silver lining I can see for tonight is that there should be no nerves, no fear, they have nothing to play for nothing to lose. Surely that alone will bring a better performance

• Advertisement

Can we stop talking about Paris, they were an absolutely dire team that didn't want to play for their manager. When did we last play well against a good team?

Can we stop talking about Paris, they were an absolutely dire team that didn't want to play for their manager. When did we last play well against a good team?

They were hardly dire, they had issues in the camp alright, but I wouldn't sell the team shot for their efforts that night. Incredibly harsh to do imo.

The whole, if it wasn't for the handball we would have won is another thing, but you cannot fault the effort or the performance that night surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats ye bigotted English for ya Mike! ;)

The only thing that I can think of is that with a few shocks so far they are hoping for Croatia to do the Spanish with a 0-0 or 1-1 draw/shock win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Typical Bandwaggon supporter. Cheers them on if they are doing any good and doesn't care less aout them when they are down! this attitude really bugs me.
    Felexicon wrote: »
    Hopefully the team take on the same mentality as in Paris and just go for it.
    Nothing to lose now so they may aswell enjoy what will be the last game in a major tournament for alot of them.

Paris was over 2 years ago and as you rightly point out, some of them are reaching their sell by date. I just don't think they have it in them anymore. 2 years is nothing to a 20 year old, but 2 years on when you are in your 30's is a different story.

The reality of it is that we do not have a good team, well below average in fact, and they did mighty well to qualify so fair play to them. They have though underperformed in the opening two games, but still barring a miracle, would never realistically have gotten anything from either match. All we can ask is that they go out there tonight and give 100%, and if they do that, they can hold their heads high and bask in the fields of Athenry (though maybe someone, just someone could sing something different for a change, please..... Molly Malone are you doing anything tonight? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I suppose the fact both Croatia and Spain are playing for something and surely it'll be better to watch from a neutral perspective.
    They were hardly dire, they had issues in the camp alright, but I wouldn't sell the team shot for their efforts that night. Incredibly harsh to do imo.

The whole, if it wasn't for the handball we would have won is another thing, but you cannot fault the effort or the performance that night surely

AGree, and as well as that we shoulda won by at least 2-0 in normal time. Was a stunning performance. Also our second half v Russia in Dublin was very encouraging as was two performances v Italy in 2010 qualifiers although both were 3 years ago. Armenia and Macedonia are tricky places to go although granted neither are big teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

2-0 lose for us I reckon. Its been a disaster of a tournament TBH.
    I know we never had much hope of getting out of the group but mistakes and tactics, or lack thereof have cost us big time against better footballing sides.

I'd love if we could take a point or more but I cant see it TBH.

stevieob wrote: »
    Typical Bandwaggon supporter. Cheers them on if they are doing any good and doesn't care less aout them when they are down! this attitude really bugs me.

15 years of home games is hardly bandwagon. And when were we ever really doing good?! Trap needs to go, not changing the team tonight was the final insult.

But we could be doing better, not a certainty that we would but we could.

The problem I have is that it is not our best squad out there and barring one or maybe two players, that is down to the manager, does he really not think there are better players to take then Paul Green, Paul McShane?

The loyalty to the players that got you there is lovely, but it is a results business, you use the best players at your disposal. Anything else is cheating the fans and the team to an extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Hopefully itll be a good match

Roll on the World Cup Qualifiers with the likes if McCarthy McClean and co in the team

Isn't his reasoning (well part of it anyway) for not changing the team to show respect for Croatia and Spain? Tbh if I were them I'd be happier to see Trap make changes and go all out with nothing to lose with lads playing with a point to prove.

Anyway my prediction. 2-0 to Italy. The team Kenny C picked the last day would have a far better chance getting a result imo

The only thing that I can think of is that with a few shocks so far they are hoping for Croatia to do the Spanish with a 0-0 or 1-1 draw/shock win.

It is far more likely to be a better spectacle tbh, if I wasn't Irish I know which game I would be watching

It is far more likely to be a better spectacle tbh, if I wasn't Irish I know which game I would be watching

Same and am actually disappointed that I'll miss the Spain Croatia (no bbc 3 on sky plus!) Has the makings of a cracker. Can't see how neutrals would prefer to see our game

Edit- got confused there can record it as it's on BBC one. Should be great game

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Isn't his reasoning (well part of it anyway) for not changing the team to show respect for Croatia and Spain? Tbh if I were them I'd be happier to see Trap make changes and go all out with nothing to lose with lads playing with a point to prove.

Anyway my prediction. 2-0 to Italy. The team Kenny C picked the last day would have a far better chance getting a result imo

I have wanted that team myself from the outset of this tournament, with the exception of Ward, I would be having O Shea in there for Ward at left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

You might have had a point if you were talking about any of the other Irish chants but the lyrics of The Fields of Athenry pretty much captures exactly how the fans were feeling at that moment in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

2 - 0 to Ireland. Croatia to be docked points for their fans racial abuse. Ireland and Spain to progress. Ireland to do a Denmark 92 ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement