Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Ireland, Poznan, KO 7:45pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

long looks lik he's going to play on the wing ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I do talk some rubbish. Given wouldn't get his game at Sunderland either if the alternative was Mignolet. Westwood has performed well in the opportunities he has been given for Ireland to date. I'm as big a fan of Given as the next man but he is clearly letting the side down in this tournament and has even done so in some of the qualifier too.

You're right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Andrews has had more shots at goal than anyone else in the tournament.

And less shots on target?

That the joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

noodler wrote: »
    Samich wrote: »
    Yeah after his howlers in the other games!

Westwood is a very good goalie!

Who can't get a game for Sunderland?

On what basis is Westwood a better goalkeepr than Given?

I don't understand you wishing our best keeper would retire so that somebody who can't get a game for Sunderland will replace him.

Given may well retire out of his own choice but I would certainly prefer it if he stuck around for another campaign.

You are using being behind mignolet as a stick to beat Westwood now stop calling others liar you bloody hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

see whos warming up behind balotelli...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

4-3-3

This is Trap. Probably 442 with Long on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Andrews really one of the few bright sparks.

Because he's had 1 shot at goal? That kinda sums up our level in this tournament really, because he's had rings run round him for most of the match/tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

gandalf wrote: »
    FFS lads give it a break. Given is obviously carrying an injury. A fully fit Shay Given is the first name on the teamsheet automatically. This tournament he has been let down by the four in front of him who have been absolutely dreadful.

If it's that obvious then either Trap should be a good enough manager to recognise it or Given should, with all his experience, know that he should be putting the team before himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Ken Early with a funny tweet:

"long replaces ... mcgeady. robbie keane is still out there somewhere... stealthy, wraithlike"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

He's let the team down.

Well is a damning indictment on our team then if our goalie is the go to guy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

On the basis of this tournament, no, he's not.

Ahahah.

Oh brilliant - when was the last time you seen Westwood actually play?

Have you seen Given over the past 14 years? Or even in the past 2 years?

Oh god, that is your worst point yet.

I have an idea, if Long doesn't score against Italy now - he shouldn't start against Kazakhstan in September. Hows that for logic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FFS lads give it a break. Given is obviously carrying an injury. A fully fit Shay Given is the first name on the teamsheet automatically. This tournament he has been let down by the four in front of him who have been absolutely dreadful.

Shouldn't be playing then if he's injured. He is a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

edgecutter wrote: »
    Hope its Keane off

No, its McGeady , and Doyle going to midfield. Has Trap got a clue?:mad::mad::mad:

Stupid from Long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Good tackle there John!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

jesus o shea looking for a jockey back!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

John o Shea just mounted the Italian lol

**** sake John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

mewso wrote: »
    This is Trap. Probably 442 with Long on the left.

I gave no indication I was being sarcastic, I thought it would be a given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Wtf was O'Shea doing there :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Mignolet is a brilliant keeper. And he's only 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Nobody who wandered into this thread would mistake us for "The Best Fans in the World", that's for sure!

Thought we started the game well, certainly better then previously, but now the gulf in class is obvious. The likes of Whelan and St. Ledger are looking average because they are average players facing some of the best players in the world, who need to win the game, at least we seem to be showing some heart today. If this was the first game I'd still be very hopeful.
    I feel for Shay, he's clearly been either struggling to recover from the injury or is still feeling the effects of it and maybe wrongly convinced himself that he is fit.
    Well then he should have had the courage to say he wasn't fully fit. Despite been truly heroic for Ireland over the years you do feel that he puts too much importance on his personal caps tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

kryogen wrote: »
    No more goals for Italy in this game anyway I reckon
    Pirlo free kick. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ambid wrote: »
    Ken Early with a funny tweet:

"long replaces ... mcgeady. robbie keane is still out there somewhere... stealthy, wraithlike"

Cant stand Ken Early

awful sub, feel for McGeady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

O'Shea needs off now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Miles off.

Thank Fuk

Rezident wrote: »
    Pirlo free kick. ..

Over the bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

slingerz wrote: »
    TNT to Keith Andrews he's the only one showing a bit of heart

re watch the game in the 12 or 13th minute Andrews had 15 yards of empty space in front of him, but he turned back to our goal and actually had to beat an italian to get past him and pass the ball further back to a defender and then he stuck his arm in the air and pointed at the defender to pass it back to given.

when he forgets the system he can play I will give him that thoughand he gives alot of effort. just too negative for my liking and dropped way too deep and cost us goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Lads, I'm not the biggest football fan, only watch the odd champions league match and usually watch the Irish team whenever they play, but am I missing something here?

Isn't Stephen Hunt the best winger we have?? Every time I see him he's full of energy and pace, seems to be the only lad who's capable of getting crosses in too. McGeady is a decent player, but jesus he is useless at getting the ball in the box, the main reason he's there, and his scoring record is shocking and he's a poor defender, so why isn't Hunt getting in the team? He hasn't even got one second of play off the bench iirc! Even as recently as our friendly before the Euros started he was the best player on the field when he came on!

Get Hunt on ffs Trap!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Shouldn't be playing then if he's injured. He is a liability.

Do you honestly believe that Westwood instead of Given would have changed the results with that porous defence in front of him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Loving the commentary thanks everyone. Stuck in work in the states. Was off last week to see the other two games and not happy about missing this one. Thanks again!

Has it been everytime Ireland have a free the Italians get a free from the resulting free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I don't think we're going to score

[-0-] wrote: »
    Loving the commentary thanks everyone. Stuck in work in the states. Was off last week to see the other two games and not happy about missing this one. Thanks again!

You should be delighted! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You are using being behind mignolet as a stick to beat Westwood now stop calling others liar you bloody hypocrite.

No, I am not.

Try to keep up.

The point is that we already have an established keeper who has been premiership class for 15 year.

The point is that Samich would prefer if Given retired so that Westwood could play.

Its not Westwood being poor, its Westwood not playing regular football and not being of the same pedigree as Given.

That is the point.

Please don't call me a hypcrite when you don't seem to understand the word's meaning and when it does not apply here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Lads, I'm not the biggest football fan, only watch the odd champions league match and usually watch the Irish team whenever they play, but am I missing something here?

Isn't Kevin Hunt the best winger we have?? Every time I see him he's full of energy and pace, seems to be the only lad who's capable of getting crosses in too. McGeady is a decent player, but jesus he is useless at getting the ball in the box, the main reason he's there, and his scoring record is shocking and he's a poor defender, so why isn't Hunt getting in the team? He hasn't even got one second of play off the bench iirc! Even as recently as our friendly before the Euros started he was the best player on the field when he came on!

Get Hunt on ffs Trap!!

Who's Kevin Hunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

O Shea and Ward seem to be vying for the worst full back of the competition, as soon as one does something hairbrained, the other tries to outdo him.

Pair of chimps.

Doyle our best player in Croatia and Italy game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Isn't Kevin Hunt the best winger we have?? Every time I see him he's full of energy and pace, seems to be the only lad who's capable of getting crosses in too. McGeady is a decent player, but jesus he is useless at getting the ball in the box, the main reason he's there, and his scoring record is shocking and he's a poor defender, so why isn't Hunt getting in the team? He hasn't even got one second of play off the bench iirc! Even as recently as our friendly before the Euros started he was the best player on the field when he came on!

Get Hunt on ffs Trap!!

As good as the ex-Bohs lad was he's never a winger ;)

You mean Stephen, and yes he should be given a run here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Isn't Kevin Hunt the best winger we have??

No, Duff McGeady are better, Hunt is a work horse with no final product. Hes a good impact sub if we're winning to close people down, or that's at least how Trap uses him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do you honestly believe that Westwood instead of Given would have changed the results with that porous defence in front of him?

A half-fit GK is a liability. Honestly looking at some of the fumbles Shay made i might have been better myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

[QUOTE='[Jackass];79275890'
    Isn't Kevin Hunt the best winger we have?? [/QUOTE]

No, I'd say he's the worst we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Get Hunt on ffs Trap!!

Stephen Hunt. More energy than talent but yeah he might add something. Probably behind McClean in the pecking order now though.

Duff is some man to win a free

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The Fans

We'll sing when we want,
    We'll sing when we want,
    Fúck you Keano,
    We'll sing when we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lucky Duff.

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    No, Duff McGeady are better, Hunt is a work horse with no final product. Hes a good impact sub if we're winning to close people down, or that's at least how Trap uses him.

Sounds like Duff for the past few years for Ireland to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

No, I am not.

Try to keep up.

The point is that we already have an established keeper who has been premiership class for 15 year.

The point is that Samich would prefer if Given retired so that Westwood could play.

Its not Westwood being poor, its Westwood not playing regular football and not being of the same pedigree as Given.

That is the point.

Please don't call me a hypcrite when you don't seem to understand the word's meaning and when it does not apply here.

Lol, Once again, Clark plays for Villa, Duffy plays for Everton.

Does this mean St Ledger shouldn't be in the team as he can't get a game for Leicester?? :rolleyes:

Dunne forgot which way he was supposed to head it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Fook sake another Italian play acting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

More booing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement