Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Ireland, Poznan, KO 7:45pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

markie29 wrote: »
    i thought they played crap tonight...pass the ball to Stephen Ward...long hoof up the left wing.
    Or plan B ...pass the ball to John O Shea and hoof the ball up field.

the subs made were mind boggling i cannot see why they didnt change things at half time to bring McLean or some one on with a bit of pace on the wings.

:mad:

Trap just copied Plan B from Bari of hoofing the ball up there and hoping for the best. Might have worked better if Italy didn't have a full compliment this time and if we had Folan (or someone very suited to that game) up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

gandalf wrote: »
    If Trapattoni has any decency he should stand down as Irish Manager now the tournament is over especially as we now have the record as the worst team to play in the Championships ever!

Bring back Greener:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

What did andrews get sent off for?

Not singing.

Two bookings.
    Ha ha that put a smile back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

finty wrote: »
    To be sure to be sure

"low lie the.......blah blah blah"

more beer!

Round of applause for the most blatant selective-quoting of all time.

To repeat for the likes of yourself:
    We are technically miles inferior, that is clear to everyone. We played well, and gave it our all- you can't ask for much more from the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

baalthor wrote: »
    So singing or tearing up the stadium are the only two possible responses when your team gets hammered?

What is your alternative then?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Gridlock wrote: »
    Credit to the fans.....but I hope I never hear Fields of Athenry again.

Fields of Athenry used to be a song of defiance in the stands, the overuse of it in this tournament is turning it into a lament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

thanks boardsies for keeping it real.
    Ive enjoyed the tournament so far, some great goals and matches and looking forward to the rest of it. The lads did their best, just not good enough, you cant blame a guy for playing if he is picked. Its not their fault they were picked.
    yes we didnt perform, but **** happens, root and branch review of irish football Ive been saying for 25 years we dont teach football in the right way or appreciate the skills required. From under 10s its athletes first and skills second.
    I remember enough times when we werent at the table when it came to these major championships.

hard luck lads, Im glad the fans seemed to have made the most of it.
    coybig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The lads tried, the performance was decent, but we just didn't have the right lads on the pitch tonight.

Dunne redeemed himself with an excellent performance, McGeady was our biggest attacking threat and had his best game of the tournament. Andrews had a good game at the heart of midfield and even Doyle did alright winning a few knockdowns.

A few lads need to go though. Given let us down badly. Ward looked out of his depth again, O'Shea just isn't a full back, Whelan is horrible and Keane has lost the legs to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

tdv123 wrote: »
    If you don't like the content of the thread, burn your computer.

Not when so many agree that it is pathetic for users here telling their own fans to shut up singing.

Hypocrite was due to calling another poster a liar constantly rather than letting your points form your argument,

What?

Your third or fourth attempt and you still don't understand what the word hypocrite means.

If I say that Given should not retire because he is better than the next good alternative (who as I remarked hasn't play a premiership game in 2012).

And then somebody else says "omg you don't want Given to retire because you are afraid Westwood doesn't play regular football!" three or four times.

Then, this person is lieing.

• Advertisement

I think that's our first red card under Trap? Also our first red card in 19 finals games. It was a nice run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Dunphy is totally right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

elefant wrote: »
    Round of applause for the most blatant selective-quoting of all time.

To repeat for the likes of yourself:
    We are technically miles inferior, that is clear to everyone. We played well, and gave it our all- you can't ask for much more from the players.

I wont select bit I disagree with this time.

We played well ???? are you having a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Trapatonni has to go.

End off. No if's buts or maybe's.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

what a load of crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Thought we played very well at times tonight tbh. Showed some great spirit. Grand we made mistakes but there was improvement. Conceded two poor goals though which is disappointing. Could have scored after 10 secs (shoulda tested keeper at least)

Thought the ref was a joke tonight tbh. Second yellow for Andrews was criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I think that's our first red card under Trap? Also our first red card in 19 finals games. It was a nice run.

A bloody dreadful red card from a nit picky referee who blew for everything and was even directed on occasions by the Italian players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think Giles summed it up perfectly. Depressing.

All the other noise on this thread re fans and players retiring is a sideshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The lads tried, the performance was decent, but we just didn't have the right lads on the pitch tonight.

Dunne redeemed himself with an excellent performance, McGeady was our biggest attacking threat and had his best game of the tournament. Andrews had a good game at the heart of midfield and even Doyle did alright winning a few knockdowns.

A few lads need to go though. Given let us down badly. Ward looked out of his depth again, O'Shea just isn't a full back, Whelan is horrible and Keane has lost the legs to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

finty wrote: »
    I wont select bit I disagree with this time.

We played well ???? are you having a laugh!

I'll quote your whole post, even though the first line of it literally makes no sense.

I thought we were the better team for much of the second half today. Italy looked very shook, and we could easily have equalised.

And no, I'm not having a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Samich wrote: »
    LOL they didn't just go to support the team, it was a cheap holiday and a piss up.

So fcuking what. What business is it of yours how they spend their money.

kitakyushu wrote: »

Doyle against Armenia at home in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Lapin wrote: »
    Time for a cleanout at the FAI.

Players, Management / Coaching staff.

And John Delaney.
    Should happen, but will never happen. They'll just try and keep their heads down and hope we'll forget about it. Come September it'll be same sh*t different day, the same old second hand cattenacio puke football; and seas of empty seats at Lansdowne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dunphy: There has been a sea change in attitude in England, Trap's tactics 'stone age, redundant and barren'

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

LOL they didn't just go to support the team, it was a cheap holiday and a piss up.

cheap! the only thing cheap was the beer, cost a fortune to get there and get tickets and I only did the 1st match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Trapatonni has to go.

It would cost the FAI €2 million to buy out his contract though. They simply don't have the money. Renewing his contract before the championships was a mistake (same with Kidney in the rugby).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Nice to see you can just decide to lie down when you lose the ball and you'll get a free. Such a frustrating ref.

Also on an unrelated note Ronnie Whelan is the most annoying bloody co-presenter ever, can a man be more negative

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Dunphy: There has been a sea change in attitude in England, Trap's tactics 'stone age, redundant and barren'

:pac:

In fairness, he's ****ing right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

noodler wrote: »
    Not when so many agree that it is pathetic for users here telling their own fans to shut up singing.

What?

Your third or fourth attempt and you still don't understand what the word hypocrite means.

If I say that Given should not retire because he is better than the next good alternative (who as I remarked hasn't play a premiership game in 2012).

And then somebody else says "omg you don't want Given to retire because you are afraid Westwood doesn't play regular football!" three or four times.

You say Given is 'better', but in what area. You can't say 'simply better' because that means nothing. You've not justified your opinion, but continue to dress it up as fact.

• Advertisement

Another two years of this shít still to come. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Trapatonni has to go.

Are you going to pay his severance fee?

Crawler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Is dunphy sleeping with Seamus Coleman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

df1985 wrote: »
    cheap! the only thing cheap was the beer, cost a fortune to get there and get tickets and I only did the 1st match.

Because it was said the Irish went to support the team, wasn't said they partly went to support their team.

And loads of people only care about cheap beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

the fans have been great, shame that the players haven't got one result out of the tournament.

• Advertisement

ambid wrote: »
    It would cost the FAI €2 million to buy out his contract though. They simply don't have the money. Renewing his contract before the championships was a mistake (same with Kidney in the rugby).

It will cost them not to get rid. I certainly won't darken the Aviva again whilst he's there.

Results aside his team selection, his substitutions and all round opinions on the performances and team selections are completely off the wall.

He has to go, for the future of Irish soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Keane just said the last 3 games have been fantastic, I wish they'd start being honest, on and off the pitch.

kryogen wrote: »

I won't pay his severance , nor will I ever add to pay his wages ever again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Is dunphy sleeping with Seamus Coleman

No, but they were married & have 7 kids together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Originally Posted by noodler

What?

Why remark he hasn't played a game for Sunderland if it wasn't part of your argument?

You were using it to make your argument look better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

kryogen wrote: »

He should resign.
    Or at least offer to.

df1985 wrote: »

Because it was said the Irish went to support the team, wasn't said they partly went to support their team.

If you think going to Poland to support Ireland was cheap u haven't a clue ask anyone who went over for an
    Invoice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

kerash wrote: »
    Keane just said the last 3 games have been fantastic, I wish they'd start being honest, on and off the pitch.

Respect him as a great goalscorer, but never liked him personally, always a spoofer with his 'boyhood clubs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Andrews' suspension means we see more of Paul Green, whey! Bet McCarthy will still be too young.

kerash wrote: »
    He was referring to the fans

G.K. wrote: »
    You say Given is 'better', but in what area. You can't say 'simply better' because that means nothing. You've not justified your opinion, but continue to dress it up as fact.

Start a thread about it.

I am sorry if this sound mean or condescending but you don't get to make Westwood a better keeper then Given just because Given has had a bad tournament.

Do we really have to make an argument for why Given is a better goalkeepr than Westwood?

I mean if you want to ignore Given's illustrious career compared to that of Westwood you will find that Westwood's career hasn't really got going yet.

You will find Given has played top flight premiership footbal for around 15 years straight whilst Westwood has played around 1 season and a half.

It will cost them not to get rid. I certainly won't darken the Aviva again whilst he's there.

Results aside his team selection, his substitutions and all round opinions on the performances and team selections are completely off the wall.

He has to go, for the future of Irish soccer.

Not a big fan of his, disagree with so much of what he has done in the last year or so, ah hell I disagree with so much of what he has done since he came here, but he is here, he did take us to a major tournament and he will be here for another two years, if he uses the two years to bring on our younger guys who he says were not involved because of loyalty to the players that got us to the Euros Ill be happy with that.

Replacing him will be hard anyway in terms of attracting quality, it depends a lot on his relationship with the players, if that is damaged in a bad way or anything like that then some way for him to leave that is affordable has got to be found.

If he is willing to use the younger players for the next campaign I will have no complaints really

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Ah yeah cheap bear but never mind the couple of grand to get there , stay there and buy tickets ,

Grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Bollocks....complete and utter bollocks.

I know plenty of genuine football fans over there who couldn't care less about drinking and are only there to support the team.

And of course there are many who will enjoy a drink over there, and why the hell shouldn't they?

But to say all the fans are over there on a massive bender is just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

tdv123 wrote: »
    No, but they were married & have 7 kids together.

Dunphy changes all the kids names on a weekly basis, dependent on which footballer he has got the hots for that week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement