Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Ireland, Poznan, KO 7:45pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

[IMG][/img]c_xmas.jpg[Removed Image]
    tdv123 wrote: »
    No, but they were married & have 7 kids together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Soups123 wrote: »
    If you think going to Poland to support Ireland was cheap u haven't a clue ask anyone who went over for an
    Invoice

Most of them I know just went for a piss up, and the facebook pics show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

He was referring to the fans

Thank god, I thought he had truly lost it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Samich wrote: »
    Why remark he hasn't played a game for Sunderland if it wasn't part of your argument?

You were using it to make your argument look better.

Of course.

Duh.

Given is better regardless which was my point and was the point I repeatedly made but you continued to misrepresent posts and straighout lie when called out for it.

I'll tell you what Samich, start a thread asking people if they would prefer Given retire or hang around for the next campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The Ref tonight was shocking and must have ruined the game for any neutral, he blew for every single little thing on both sides, it's just the Italians were able to play him better. Refs like this are ruining the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Because it was said the Irish went to support the team, wasn't said they partly went to support their team.

And loads of people only care about cheap beer.

And what do you care about? Sitting on your computer taking pot shots and wild generalizations at the fans who actually went to support the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

It will cost them not to get rid. I certainly won't darken the Aviva again whilst he's there.

Results aside his team selection, his substitutions and all round opinions on the performances and team selections are completely off the wall.

He has to go, for the future of Irish soccer.

That's the problem alright. I imagine Trap has lost the confidence of the players (given his selections and comments about them); he has a bad relationship with the media; and he has lost the confidence of the fans.

The FAI are in financial trouble and I pity their marketing people trying to fill the Aviva for Ireland matches and sell the new shirt and other merchandise.

There is a lot of bad feeling now toward Trap and there will be a big cost to that for the FAI. Renewing his contract before the championship was a big mistake because he's 73 and would not have been in big demand elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Seaneh wrote: »
    He should resign.
    Or at least offer to.

That would not be a bad outcome, I just cant see him doing that so not considering it as a realistic option

noodler wrote: »
    Start a thread about it.

I am sorry if this sound mean or condescending but you don't get to make Westwood a better keeper then Given just because Given has had a bad tournament.

Do we really have to make an argument for why Given is a better goalkeepr than Westwood?

I mean if you want to ignore Given's illustrious career compared to that of Westwood you will find that Westwood's career hasn't really got going yet.

You will find Given has played top flight premiership footbal for around 15 years straight whilst Westwood has played around 1 season and a half.

Once again you're relying on past glories.

Just because Shay made a great save 10 years ago means he can make the same save this year. He was the worst keeper at this tournament, and there have been some bad ones, Szcezny, Cech and the Greek!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

niallo27 wrote: »
    The Ref tonight was shocking and must have ruined the game for any neutral, he blew for every single little thing on both sides, it's just the Italians were able to play him better. Refs like this are ruining the game.

Had him in their pocket, they decided to lie down when they lost the ball and why not it clearly worked. He was a joke tbh

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    And what do you care about? Sitting on your computer taking pot shots and wild generalizations at the fans who actually went to support the team?

Getting close to the "barstooler" remarks now

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Look at the post I was referring to before answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If you think going to Poland to support Ireland was cheap u haven't a clue ask anyone who went over for an
    Invoice

Most of them I know just went for a piss up, and the facebook pics show it.
    An expensive piss up, not sure how many away trips you've been on, there always a piss up this was just a longer one. U don't believe people go for the 90 minutes and retire to there room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

What is this ****e about honour within the squad? Suppose he'll be harping on about chivalry next

ambid wrote: »
    The FAI are in financial trouble and I pity their marketing people trying to fill the Aviva for Ireland matches and sell the new shirt and other merchandise.

You wouldnt think they will have much trouble filling the stadium and selling jerseys and the like going on the evidence of the Irish fans in Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Once again you're relying on past glories.

Just because Shay made a great save 10 years ago means he can make the same save this year. He was the worst keeper at this tournament, and there have been some bad ones, Szcezny, Cech and the Greek!

Okay.

Add Given illustrious record in the EPL to the fact he starts for his club whislt Westwood can't get a game.

As I said, start a thread about this just to really hammer home the fact you are seriously wrong about Given retiring being better for Ireland.

EDIT: LMAO, 10 years ago? Hahaha. Oh you are some troll alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

gandalf wrote: »
    What is your alternative then?

There are many, but not singing and not tearing up the stadium would be one ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Dunphy: There has been a sea change in attitude in England, Trap's tactics 'stone age, redundant and barren'

:pac:
    he is correct, even in England there has been a move away from the kind of football that only Ireland and Stoke seem to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

What is this ****e about honour within the squad? Suppose he'll be harping on about chivalry next
    It's just bollocks and misdirection, a piss poor attempt to evade responsibility. Basically he's trying to say everything's ok because the team played with a little pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

No point in showing these clips, nothing will change.

• Advertisement

No point in showing these clips, nothing will change.

For the sake of my sanity there really has to be a change to bring those players in.

Sit Brady in on his tournament review, if they are such good friends maybe he will listen to him

kryogen wrote: »
    For the sake of my sanity there really has to be a change to bring those players in.

You will have to wait for the current guy to go. Otherwise, it will be the same old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trap should resign and do us a favour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Trapatonni has to go.

End off. No if's buts or maybe's.

BUT we lost to 3 teams that are better than us!

IF you know a better manager for us, then please name him!

MAYBE we are not going to compete with the best teams in the near future, no matter what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is infuriating the way Trappatoni played his hand in this tournament. The positive from tonight was at least the players did not looked like rabbits in the headlights from the kick off like the last 2 games.

Nice goal from Balotelli and WTF was O'Shea playing at with that kind of defending. If Balotelli did not get his shot away, he would probably have got a penalty.

As for the ref, what a petantic fcuker he was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

inmyday wrote: »
    BUT we lost to 3 teams that are better than us!

IF you know a better manager for us, then please name him!

MAYBE we are not going to compete with the best teams in the near future, no matter what

With the wages we are paying him we can certainly find an alternative.

You will have to wait for the current guy to go. Otherwise, it will be the same old.

His hand may be forced though, there will surely be retirements from this crop and in all honesty you simply cannot continue to ignore such players.

Him offering his resignation would be acceptable too of course, not likely, but then you have to be sure of who you are going to get in after him

Okay.

Add Given illustrious record in the EPL to the fact he starts for his club whislt Westwood can't get a game.

As I said, start a thread about this just to really hammer home the fact you are seriously wrong about Given retiring being better for Ireland.

EDIT: LMAO, 10 years ago? Hahaha. Oh you are some troll alright.

I was using it as an example. Sigh.

Have to spell everything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

I was using it as an example. Sigh.

Have to spell everything out.

It didn't come across that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It is infuriating the way Trappatoni played his hand in this tournament. The positive from tonight was at least the players did not looked like rabbits in the headlights from the kick off like the last 2 games.

Nice goal from Balotelli and WTF was O'Shea playing at with that kind of defending. If Balotelli did not get his shot away, he would probably have got a penalty.

As for the ref, what a petantic fcuker he was!
    O'Shea handled the ball in the penalty area right before that as well.

His hand may be forced though, there will surely be retirements from this crop and in all honesty you simply cannot continue to ignore such players.

Him offering his resignation would be acceptable too of course, not likely, but then you have to be sure of who you are going to get in after him

You are very naive if you think he will change. Have you not noticed what a spoofer he is? Kevin Foley is bad, yet he could play in a friendly. McClean too 'inexperienced', yet he comes on against Spain.

He always thinks he's right, and he lacks humility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Trap should resign and do us a favour

Maybe it would have been better if we got Turkey in the playoffs, and lost to them. Then I wonder would you be asking for him to resign.

You are very naive if you think he will change. Have you not noticed what a spoofer he is? Kevin Foley is bad, yet he could play in a friendly. McClean too 'inexperienced', yet he comes on against Spain.

He always thinks he's right, and he lacks humility.

I am anything but naive, and fail to see how it is naive to think that he may be forced into changes due to retirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

At leat trap is still a national hero

IN ITALY

I am anything but naive, and fail to see how it is naive to think that he may be forced into changes due to retirements

This is a man who does not let his ego buck under any circumstances.

This is a man who does not let his ego buck under any circumstances.

So he will refuse to allow the players to retire if they want to?

So he will refuse to allow the players to retire if they want to?

I am saying he will continue to pick 'his guys'. That means more McShane, Green, etc in squads. A few retirements won't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Ireland v Holland from the 1990 World Cup is on ESPN classic :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Trapatonni has to go.

End off. No if's buts or maybe's.

awful tournament - completely humiliated, probably the most depressing thought of all is we are the worst team in the history of the tournament despite given absolutely everything

i don't think we're a great side but i do think we are better than what we have shown in this tournament

look at the likes of greece and denmark in this tournament and swansea and norwich in the premier league and you can see that teams with apparently limited players can still compete - we didn't really even do that which was the least the fans deserved

only keith andrews really delivered for us, the rest tried but underperformerd - the question is why?

I blame the coach for 3 things

1) although we are not great, we underperformed

2) he left good players at him

3) his system doesn't work against high quality sides

I would like to see Trap stand down after that total and utter embarrassment but the question is - Will the FAI pay out his lucrative 2 year contract?

I don't think they will, expect to hear a lot of the old "it was the first time we qualified in 10 years" thing to justify Trap continuing in his position but I don't buy it.

Many people even through the qualifying campaign were critical of the side but we were told to shut up because we were grindout out results against footballing heavyweights like armenia and slovakia - well the chickens came home to roost at this tournament, our limited style of play has been found it.............and just like Ireland at this tournament it is completely POINTLESS to qualify for the tournament if all you are going to be is cannon fodder for sides who actually play football - that is unless you want to go to a tournament, see your ugly mug on a big screen, get pissed while we get hammered - if that is the limit of your ambitions then fine, but i'd like to actually see us compete, it is supposed to be a competition after all - and we did actually compete in 88,90,94 and 2002 - i just can't really enjoy it if we get hammered every game but fair play to the fans who travelled for letting the bitterness go, i suppose when you are so outclassed on the field, all you can do is have the party off the field because there is so little to celebrate on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

i do think we are better than what we have shown in this tournament
    1) although we are not great, we underperformed

No, we're not. We performed exactly the same way we played during the qualifying games - it just happened that the opposition were better in front of goal. We've always allowed those chances to be created in games vs us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I am just wondering what people really expected from this team in all honesty.

The team lacked talent, youth, depth and to be fair to the coach, he had very limited choices with regards to players. The only way Ireland could have performed better was by some form of miraculous tenacity and determination- that wouldn't have really helped either to be frank because the core of the team are old players and no other group sport exposes the weaknesses of a set of tired legs than soccer.

All those folks whinning about Trap should really appraise the current team carefully; its not as if he had an array of above average young players to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Sweet Jesus!

Just watched an interview with Tardelli which was taken up entirely with him waffling on about how happy he was that Italy went through!

Sorry, I have been saying for a long time that Trap should step aside and let Tardelli take the reigns, but following on from his interview in La Gazzetta Dello Sport that he did this morning in which he talked about checking the score of the Croatia Spain game whilst on duty with Ireland, honestly it is done for me. Everybody out! Trap, Tardelli everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I am just wondering what people really expected from this team in all honesty.

The team lacked talent, youth, depth and to be fair to the coach, he had very limited choices with regards to players. The only way Ireland could have performed better was by some form of miraculous tenacity and determination- that wouldn't have really helped either to be frank because the core of the team are old players and no other group sport exposes the weaknesses of a set of tired legs than soccer.

All those folks whinning about Trap should really appraise the current team carefully; its not as if he had an array of above average young players to choose from.

I expect a plan B of some sort.

Is there anything more pathetic than a bunch of keyboard warriors asking fans who paid good money to travel to the Euros and support their team to "shut up"?

If I could thank this twice I would.

Bitterness is a terrible thing.

• Advertisement

165873_10151210039932907_648234776_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

nuxxx wrote: »
    Buffon legend

Yeah that is all about to be destroyed with the Calcioscomesse investigations. He is up to his eyes in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

It's not Trapattoni's fault he only has sub-standard players at his disposal. I think he worked a mircacle to get us to this tournament in the first place.

Regarding team selection - on the one hand I admire his loyalty to the players who got us to Euro2012 but on the other hand his refusal to bring/play the likes of McClean/Coleman/Gibson etc was absolutely maddening.

Should be sacked? I don't know. I just don't see any worthwhile replacements. Remember who we had before Trap??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

population wrote: »
    Yeah that is all about to be destroyed with the Calcioscomesse investigations. He is up to his eyes in it

Up to his eyes in a QF.

Ardent wrote: »
    It's not Trapattoni's fault he only has sub-standard players at his disposal. I think he worked a mircacle to get us to this tournament in the first place.

Regarding team selection - on the one hand I admire his loyalty to the players who got us to Euro2012 but on the other hand his refusal to bring/play the likes of McClean/Coleman/Gibson etc was absolutely maddening.

Should be sacked? I don't know. I just don't see any worthwhile replacements. Remember who we had before Trap??!

Bit of a contradiction there

• Advertisement
Advertisement