Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buskerville

Options
  • 18-06-2012 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

So..what if...every day or every other day...John Roberts square became Buskerville after 6pm. Different musicians and entertainers doing their bit to try and attract some people to the ghost town that it becomes.

Too crazy? Of something that other towns would look at with envy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

On first glance it seems like a great idea... I'm sure some people will be along with reasons why it shouldn't happen, noise pollution etc. :D

Seriously though, it could work, maybe a buskers permit type situation so the place wasn't clogged and people weren't fighting over a particular space?

Edit: I think Killarney have something similar once a year where the place fills with buskers but the money collected goes to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

But is it not the reason to go busking, to try earn a bit of money. It'll be hard to encourage buskers down, when as OP said, it's ghost town. Little chance of making much money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

But if people knew that every evening after 6 there would be some activity they would head down. Soon you could have market stalls...I dunno...I think it could have potential for an may-September type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It's a great idea in fairness, but i reckon you'd need support from a lot of musicians to get a buzz going about it.
    If the weather was good, it'd be great to hang around red square listening to music.

But if people knew that every evening after 6 there would be some activity they would head down. Soon you could have market stalls...I dunno...I think it could have potential for an may-September type of thing.

It'd be great in theory, but the market thing, I dunno... it's near to impossible to get a stall in Red Square on a Saturday, the council are so strict about it as it is... I'd love to see it though! Anyone have any idea of what's needed to be done to get something like this started?

• Advertisement

And I think there are dozens of musicians that would be interested. And performers of all kinds.

Would it be too late to start something for this year I wonder? What would be the relevant dept. in the Council to talk to... arts I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I started a thread couple of years ago about turning the city centre into a mini larambla (in Barcalona) have a committee pick say even a dozen acts over Sunday evening. Could be dance,busking,mime and so on. Only top quality like. Kinda thing that might bring people into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

ziedth wrote: »
    I started a thread couple of years ago about turning the city centre into a mini larambla (in Barcalona) have a committee pick say even a dozen acts over Sunday evening. Could be dance,busking,mime and so on. Only top quality like. Kinda thing that might bring people into town.

Bit of mime would be savage alright, bring it on I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

If there was some traffic going through some shops might even open later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The Hound of the Buskervilles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Only if we make them audition. Too many bad buskers in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

City Council's Summer in the City Programme, all through summer, on Fridays and Saturdays anyway:
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/WaterfordCity%20SummerProg.xls

It's a good, and expensive start...it's the midweek that's the problem tho

Advertisement