Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop bloody birds chirping during night!!?

• 18-06-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

So we moved into a new house and outside our bedroom window birds stand on the gutter chirpping like crazy from 4am onwards! We usually leave our bedroom window open but even closed they wake me every night!

How do I stop them?

I'm open to any suggestion,

<mod snip>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

In the animal & pets forum we *do* care about birds so there won't be any suggestions involving what I snipped thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You could try getting something like a bird of prey silhouette for your window to deter them. That or some statue of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ask them nicely. *

Failing that, get over it......?**

:rolleyes:

*Presuming this is a joke question.

**Presuming its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Go to the chemist and get some ear plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

You cant stop a bird from chirping. As was suggested above, get some earplugs or leave some music on at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

4506175_460s.jpg

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

You get used to it eventually. I live in city estate across the road from a backyard farm, which is basically a house with an extra big garden!!! They have hens, geese, ducks, the odd pig and two, yes two roosters! We thought we would go mad from the noise but after a couple weeks we got used to it, so much so we find it strange now when we don't hear the rooster crow. The birds chirping is part of nature, and like I said you will get used to it honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Just ask yourself how you'll feel if one day there are no longer any birds singing.:rolleyes:

And remember, it's almost exactly fifty years since this book was published. I'd recommend reading it.
    rachel-carson-silent-spring.jpg

I hope you don't mind all those leaves putting so much oxygen into the atmosphere.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Yeah that nature can be a right pain in the hole. Can't wait till we're the only living creatures on the planet. That'll be heaven!

I second the bird of prey silhouette, it's the most likely thing to deter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

op believe me you will get used to it

when i 1st moved into my house i thought id never get any sleep with them

3 years later i dont even hear them anymore- you get the odd "tweet tweet SQWAKKKK!!!" and that would make ya jump but its about once a week it wakes me so its not so bad:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The dawn chorus!
    You will get used to it and grow to love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

birds stand on the gutter chirpping like crazy from 4am onwards
    what the hell are you doing up til 4am at night?

foiled...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

The dawn chorus and the breeding is almost over things are quitening down now it's noticeably quiter the past week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Hopefully your right Irishhomer. Failing that I think one of those gutter brushes would stop it. The ones used to stop leaves collecting. They don't leave room for them to stand and they will have to go around the side of the house away from the window.

1582209-stopper-w-sq-t.jpg

I figured it was common sense that I wanted the birds to stop perching there and not slaughter all wildlife like some of you seem to think! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwlKk1tgvPue9Eng8DcqRtNH0TvyJAssBImoLv43j9fx0_kliI

Dress confidently and assertively let them know they are on your territory

Waiting here for an hour again this morning, same as every night for these stupid little bastards to shut up. They sound like am alarm clock going off none stop.

I've had enough now. Anyone want to try save them with a solution. Silicone on gutters etc doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a friend thats a very light sleeper and they put those kiddies windmill things you get at the beach on the gutters, also cut some plastic bags into strips and attached them. He says they have to be thin strip or they make a noise too;)
    They move in the breeze and frighten the birds, he can't have ear plugs due to young baby in house, but you could try them?
    It seems to work for him pretty well.
    When we moved in here a few months back a Crow arrived every morning at first light and made an awful racket on my bedroom roof (vaulted ceiling and I'm guessing not enough insulation) but having a couple of cats trying to get at him out the windows seemed to scare him off.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

We never really have any birds at the back of the house, we have bird feeders and trees & bushes at the front so they seem to stay there.

I don't see any point removing the birds, there are plenty more to replace them.

Ear plugs aren't an option unfortunately. I was thinking about trying to find an owl / other bird of prey type thing to scare them away. The strips of bags and spinners would work, but I'd be hesitant as its the front of my house in an estate.

I know it sounds petty, but lying awake for an hour in the middle of the night, every night gets really annoying. It sounds exactly like an alarm clock that you cant stop.

Tempted to tie a cat to the chimney :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Get a fake hawk!
    Or at bout half ten when the birds are asleep and roosting you could go to the birds house and blare some Slayer
    Birds can't stand death metal

Oh wait that's hippies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Drink 10 cans a night, sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

This is a stupid thread and should be moved to after hours!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I'm a light sleeper too, and I know exactly what your talking about with those blasted birds singing at all hours of the morning.. when do they sleep?? blighters !!

The only thing I could think off to move them away from your sleeping area, would be a bird feeder placed a few hundred yards away from your home, and hopefully they will move down the road to feed rather than singing outside your window when your trying to sleep.

other than that?? what they said.. earplugs, music, tv/radio

Vince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If you have birds in the gutters on a regular basis there is a good chance that they have nested under the roof tiles .at the moment I have 6 nests at the front of my house and guess where my bedroom is? I also have a crows nest in my attic that they managed to break through the roof felt and build it.

Yesterday, I noticed a nest right up in the top gable corner that wasn't there a few weeks ago when i powerhosed the area. So I presume they are swallows as I can hear the little ones tweeting like mad. Tieing my cat to the chimney won't get them so have to think up something else :D

So its shinny windmills on the front of my house, a bird of prey, earplugs or move.....or we move this tread to the airsoft section :D:eek: Relax mods. I'm only half joking.

I think swallows migrate and next year to cover the area the nest is in so they go elsewhere, but I'm hoping they leave fairly soon ? Don't they leg it for the winter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

They do they won't be there 2 long.
    Shotgun may work in some cases but cops might be around looking 4 the nut shooting from the bedroom window:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Yeah usually swallows nest in gable corners or where chimneys meet gables. Dont forget that it It is illegal to remove any bird nests during breeding season.
    I was parked behind a van this morning that was called " flock off bird solutions " They may be able to help if you google them

Shotgun may work in some cases but cops might be around looking 4 the nut shooting from the bedroom window:)

Only for I have a level headed wife, I would have been arrested for standing naked in my drive blowing holes in my roof with a rifle at 4am every morning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

nacimroc wrote: »
    Only for I have a level headed wife, I would have been arrested for standing naked in my drive blowing holes in my roof with a rifle at 4am every morning.

Namiroc youve already had a similar suggestion removed.Now this isnt after hours.Any more "suggestions" and you`ll be facing a break from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Being a very early riser, ie around 4 am, this is morning music for me. part of life in the country.. ear plugs work well too... We have a lot of pigeons and their song is calming.

Advertisement