Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bendtner banned over pants

• 18-06-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

Nicklas Bendtner has been banned for one match and handed an £80,000 fine by UEFA as a result of his goal celebration against Portugal.

Article 18.18 of the Regulations of the UEFA European Football Championship 2010-12 states: "All kit items worn during the final tournament must be free of any sponsor advertising."

Bendtner claimed the underpants, which bore the logo of a Dublin-based betting firm, were 'lucky'.

I personally think that UEFA are getting their knickers in a knot over nothing here.

Nicklas-Bendtner-celebrates-Denmark-vs-Portug_2780347.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

What was Porto's fine for racially abusing Balotelli again?

The crime against money is consider too importmant by far, far too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

20000 euro, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Paddy Power getting their moneys worth now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Typical UEFA. Mindless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I wonder could an Irish player get away it? (claim discrimination if UEFA said boo to them). Probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

unbelievable he got such a big fine in comparison to fines handed out by uefa for racist chanting over the past few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Raekwon wrote: »
    Nicklas Bendtner has been banned for one match and handed an £80,000 fine by UEFA as a result of his goal celebration against Portugal.

Article 18.18 of the Regulations of the UEFA European Football Championship 2010-12 states: "All kit items worn during the final tournament must be free of any sponsor advertising."

Strange that.

Every team kit seems to have the name/logo of sportswear company on it do players' boots and goalkeepers' gloves. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

It would be a different story if the Paddy Power's money was lining he pockets of UEFA. Football is turning into a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

AvreeJSCMAAYaBp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I hope Bendtner contests it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Sorry, but I think they are right, to an extent. He can say they were lucky, but I am sure there was some financial incentive for him. All players know they cannot display their own sponsorship, no-one at that level is that niave.

The problem is the disparity of fines for real offences - racism and violence from crowds, match fixing, touting on a grand scale. More and more offences should have point deductions more than fines, you can't buy points...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I remember watching the game and seeing the top of the underpants and was kind of baffled why he had Paddy Power on them.

The fine is silly, if they were as serious in dealing with other issues like this maybe football could be a better place for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

over pants? underpants and yes the fine is itself pants. God knows we wouldn't want UEFA to have its priorities right would we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Strange that.

Every team kit seems to have the name/logo of sportswear company on it do players' boots and goalkeepers' gloves. :confused:

thats exactly the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Could he apeall the fined based on the fact that underpants are not part of "kit items"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

More publicity for Paddy Power twats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Dickerty wrote: »
    Sorry, but I think they are right, to an extent. He can say they were lucky, but I am sure there was some financial incentive for him. All players know they cannot display their own sponsorship, no-one at that level is that niave.

The problem is the disparity of fines for real offences - racism and violence from crowds, match fixing, touting on a grand scale. More and more offences should have point deductions more than fines, you can't buy points...

I think that's what's annoying people more so than the fact he was fined. If they allowed Bentner to get away with this then there's nothing to stop other players showing off other sponsors. Players could easily have McDonalds temporarily stuck on their legs for extra cash. We see this in so many walks of life where fraud can have a bigger sentence than murder and here UEFA thinks protecting it's sponsors has a bigger priority than violence and racial abuse, Russia were fined €30,000 and a suspended six point deduction for it's fans violence, including those shocking scenes where fans were beating unarmed stewards, Porto were fined €20,000 for their fans racially abusing Balotelli. Bendtner, an individual, not an organisation or group gets fined €80,000 for showing his kaks. RESPECT?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think they are right to fine him, but the one match ban is over the top for me.
    Maybe they have got information as to the amount he received to wear them and have fined him that amount?
    Either ways he won't be out of pocket, Paddy Power will pay it for him and it will still be a bargain for them.

I completely agree CH, but I don't agree with posters who think he's been unfairly treated. He did it on purpose, he scored a goal for his country at the highest level and his first thought was to show off a sponsors logo. That deserves to be dealt with, and he got what he deserved.

I completely agree CH, but I don't agree with posters who think he's been unfairly treated. He did it on purpose, he stored a goal for his country at the highest level and his first thought was to show off a sponsors logo. That deserves to be dealt with, and he got what he deserved.

What's UEFA's first thought? Or indeed the first thought of the TV stations covering these games.
    Bottom line - money.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    What's UEFA's first thought? Or indeed the first thought of the TV stations covering these games.
    Bottom line - money.

Yep, and that's exactly why he did it! He didn't show a t-shirt showing Greenpeace or Unicef...

Yep, and that's exactly why he did it! He didn't show a t-shirt showing Greenpeace or Unicef...

I don't see UEFA showing greenpeace of unicef either.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Maybe they have got information as to the amount he received to wear them and have fined him that amount?
    Either ways he won't be out of pocket, Paddy Power will pay it for him and it will still be a bargain for them.

I'd say the contract between PP and Bendtner was Fee + Any Fine - if not , Bendtner's an idiot (or has a poor agent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Was he actually paid by Powers to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think they are right to fine him, but the one match ban is over the top for me.

Most UEFA game bans are for 1 match more than is ultimately intended.
    He'll appeal and the punishment will be reduced to just the fine, with the one game ban suspended for 12 months dependent on him not doing the same again.

If they really wanted to ban him for one game they'd have given him a two game ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Brilliant by PaddyPower. Bit stupid by Bendtner.

Of course he has to be punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

kippy wrote: »
    I don't see UEFA showing greenpeace of unicef either.......

Uefa and the TV stations can show what they want theyre the organisers, Bentner is a player and should just concentrate on playing for his country. Imagine the uproar if one of the Irish lads did that, id be disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

I would imagine the odds of an Irish player being offered a pair of boxer shorts in the future on the off chance that they score are pretty slim!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Good.

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    I would imagine the odds of an Irish player being offered a pair of boxer shorts in the future on the off chance that they score are pretty slim!!

Not even Stephen Ireland Manchester Aston Villa?

C_71_article_1023466_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?08%2F11%2F2007%2009%3A46%3A13%3A824

(he's already done promotional work for D.C. Comics and Time/Warner corp)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I doubt Bendtner was the only one wearing Paddy Power underpants, he was just the one that scored.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

It's pretty obvious that UEFA aren't going to let companies do their advertising on the cheap by paying players for advertising - I'm sure Bendtner will have done very well indeed out of that little Paddy Power gimmick. I'd be surprised if he wasn't up on the deal to be honest.

If UEFA just let players sign their own advertising deals then obviously no-one is going to sign an advertising contract with UEFA, so it would massively undercut their revenue.

As for crowd trouble and racism, I'm pretty sure UEFA have done absolutely nothing about racism in this tournament. The punishments have been for crowd disturbances, setting off fireworks, throwing stuff on the pitch and displaying "illicit" banners. The Russian FA was fined €120k and received a suspended 6 point penalty. The Croatian FA was fined €25k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wonder will paddy pay out for him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

My understanding is that the deal was any fine plus 50k and that there were a few other players also set to do it...they just didn't score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Paddypower are paying the fine for him . So they say on their twitter .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

They were absolutely right to take action. If this became a trend and most goal celebrations became sponsored it'd be a nail in the coffin of my interest in the sport I think. That the offence is completely inane in comparison to the more serious issues that they haven't dealt with is a good point, but a different matter really.

No problem with him getting punishment as he deserves it, but more with the inconsistency across the board. Racism and Violence are more serious offenses but receive mediocre fines by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Bendtner was an idiot for doing it but its ridiculous that his punishment was almost the same as Russias for their fans violent conduct. He will most likely be more punished then the Croatian FA for the fans throwing the banana at balotelli.

It seems to me that UEFA have seriously got their priorities wrong, I wonder what the punishment would have been if it were attacks on Sepp Blatter or Platini and not the stewards representing their organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

From Paddy Power site
    You may have noticed that, after solving all the social, political and race issues surrounding Euro 2012, UEFA set their sights on the real issue of Euro 2012 – Nicklas Bendtner’s underpants. The Dane celebrated his second goal against Portugal on Wednesday last by revealing a pair of much coveted Paddy Power Lucky Pants, much to the disapproval of the UEFA suits munching on their caviar sandwiches up in the corporate boxes.

On Monday, Europe’s governing body for football announced that Bendtner was going to be on the receiving end of a mind-bogglingly severe €100,000 fine and one-game ban. There was jaw-dropping disbelief when the penalty was revealed, particularly considering the minuscule fines handed out by UEFA for significantly more serious transgressions in recent history. Among the dismay from fans and journalists alike, both England international Rio Ferdinand and famous crisp-flogger Gary Lineker expressed their shock at the severity of Bendtner’s punishment.

We can’t do anything about UEFA’s chilled-out attitude to racism or political oppression, but we can do something about the Pantsgate. We’ve decided to foot the bill for the fine. Paddy Power are paying Bendtner’s massively over the top €100,000 fine.

Ken Robertson, Paddy Power’s Head of Mischief explained: “We pride ourselves on listening to our customers and what we heard loud and clear yesterday was that Nicklas Bendtner should not suffer as a result of UEFA’s double standards. We don’t believe that Nicklas should be penalised for nothing more serious than wearing his lucky underpants which in fairness was only a bit of fun.”

Paddy Power are also issuing an alert to all other players intending to wear their own lucky underpants in the remaining UEFA fixtures to keep the string tied tightly on their shorts so that they too don’t face the wrath of the over the top UEFA pants police.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Are thunder pants apart of the official kit? What if my team jersey was Nike but I wore Adidas thunderPants as they were my boot supplier?

• Advertisement

They are rapidly following the model of Ryanair that no publicity is bad publicity. Like the stunt with the Transgender ad. They knew it would cause a stir, which is precisely why they did it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Croatia have just been fined €80,000 for the racist abuse their fans directed at Balotelli. Somehow that's €20,000 less of an offence than having a sponsor on your boxers. I probably shouldn't be surprised by these kind of things any more.

Germany got fined, again, £20k for a neo nazi banner! They were fined £10k for fans throwing rolled up pieces of paper at Portuguese players

Dempsey wrote: »
    Germany got fined, again, £20k for a neo nazi banner! They were fined £10k for fans throwing rolled up pieces of paper at Portuguese players

By Germany you mean the German FA?

If so have the FAI ever been fined by UEFA for anything to date (in particular fan related? That'd be interesting.

Split hairs much? I'm just highlighting the disproportionate punishments being handed out by UEFA.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Split hairs much? I'm just highlighting the disproportionate punishments being handed out by UEFA.

It was a genuine question. I was trying to learn who gets fined and if the FAI have ever been hit with something like that in their time.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    It was a genuine question. I was trying to learn who gets fined and if the FAI have ever been hit with something like that in their time.

Think we got a fine for the John Aldridge thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

That response from Paddy Power makes me want to vomit, as always acting like theyre a bunch of sound lads having a laugh sticking two fingers up to the big bad evil racist Uefa. Delighted they banned Bentner for a game knowing full well he'd have his fine paid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

UEFA really are a joke of an orginisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

That response from Paddy Power makes me want to vomit, as always acting like theyre a bunch of sound lads having a laugh sticking two fingers up to the big bad evil racist Uefa. Delighted they banned Bentner for a game knowing full well he'd have his fine paid for him.

I was going to post the same. The faux outrage and altruism from PP is cringeworthy. Undoubtedly they were wetting their kacks when he was punished, knowing the publicity it'd generate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement