Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogaine Wicklow

Options
  • 18-06-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Wondering if anybody here has any advice on doing the Rogaine next weekend, I've done a few of the multisport races and thought the 6 hour rogaine would be a good step towards gaining expereince with a view to doiong some of the navigation adventure races. If anybody has done this event before or has any advice I'd love to hear it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I've done the 24hr the last couple of years. It's great navigation practice for adventure racing, and a great day out on its own merits.

If you want to get lots of practice in, sign up for the 24 hour. You can always set up a tent and return to it for a few hours sleep overnight if you find yourself struggling.

The one thing to watch for though is your feet. Over the 6 hours, you should be fine, but 24 hours is a long time to spend on your feet. Check out Fixing Your Feet (most of it available in Google Books) for footcare tips and advice.

Nutrition for the 6 hour will be very similar to the multi-sport races you've done in the past. Hydration might be the only change. You may not want to carry 6 hours water with you, so bring water purification tablets with you and you can top up bottles from streams as you go. Check the map for marked rivers/streams. The forecast at the moment is for showers, so there'll be no shortage of good sources.

Any other questions, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good answer lgk. Absolutely go for it, and the 24 hour race is about as good practice as you'll get for a real AR without actually doing it. Loads of time and space to be working out you Nav abilities and making the odd mistake. It's as hard or easy as you make it for yourself.

On the water point.... I've been drinking water from streams in Ireland for over 20 years at this stage without ever using purification tabs, and I've yet to have a problem.

Advertisement