Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liverpool Marathon Oct 14th

Options
  • 18-06-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyone signed up for this on October 14th. Looking at last years thread there were a few problems, delayed start being one. Have decided to give it a go instead of Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I did this race last year - there were a few problems alright but overall I enjoyed it. Liverpool is a really welcoming city and the atmosphere on the day was super, especially coming out of the Mersey tunnel. The course itself is tough (it looks the same as last year); I was expecting the tough hill coming out of the tunnel but at 16 miles there's a long slow hill past the Anglican Cathedral which I wasn't expecting from the profile on the site.

I'd be hopeful that the race will improve this year. The organisers seemed to be a clued in bunch and they were asking for feedback so hopefully they'll take it on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

macinalli wrote: »
    I did this race last year - there were a few problems alright but overall I enjoyed it. Liverpool is a really welcoming city and the atmosphere on the day was super, especially coming out of the Mersey tunnel. The course itself is tough (it looks the same as last year); I was expecting the tough hill coming out of the tunnel but at 16 miles there's a long slow hill past the Anglican Cathedral which I wasn't expecting from the profile on the site.

I'd be hopeful that the race will improve this year. The organisers seemed to be a clued in bunch and they were asking for feedback so hopefully they'll take it on board.
    Yeah that incline at 16 really caught me to. Has good potential to become a good marathon. The start was a killer last year, they were telling people not to go the toilet anywhere but the portaloos but had them penned in for an extra hour at the start:D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

just giving this a bump to see if anyone else has entered?

There must be somebody from this great island travelling this weekend for this. Or is it just me???

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

ac20 wrote: »
    There must be somebody from this great island travelling this weekend for this. Or is it just me???

Looks like you'll have all the glory for yourself ;), Best of luck over there. Would like to do it sometime in the future. Been over there quite a bit and really enjoy the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

You'll never walk run alone!

sideswipe wrote: »
    You'll never walk run alone!

Good one. I shall be visiting Anfield Saturday morning then Im out to Birkenhead to watch mighty Tranmere play Yeovil. The joys of travelling alone. Still it will keep me occupied for a few hours Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Enjoy the race, I'll be looking forward to the reports from this one! I remember when I ran this one last year, the noise when you come out of the Mersey tunnel is pretty deafening - probably the best welcome I've gotten on any marathon course. The course itself is fine, and there are only 2 hills of note - coming out of the tunnel, and then another for about a 1km stretch past the Cathedral. You get it all back though when you're on the run for home, the last 2 miles is a slight downhill towards the Liver Birds which feels great!

One last point to watch out - at about 19 miles you hit Sefton Park and you're in it for about 4 miles. When you leave the Park, you're starting to think of the run for home, but then you get directed back into Princes Park. It's a short detour (half a mile), but after 23 miles it can be a bit off-putting.

Have a good race!

macinalli wrote: »
    Enjoy the race, I'll be looking forward to the reports from this one! I remember when I ran this one last year, the noise when you come out of the Mersey tunnel is pretty deafening - probably the best welcome I've gotten on any marathon course. The course itself is fine, and there are only 2 hills of note - coming out of the tunnel, and then another for about a 1km stretch past the Cathedral. You get it all back though when you're on the run for home, the last 2 miles is a slight downhill towards the Liver Birds which feels great!

One last point to watch out - at about 19 miles you hit Sefton Park and you're in it for about 4 miles. When you leave the Park, you're starting to think of the run for home, but then you get directed back into Princes Park. It's a short detour (half a mile), but after 23 miles it can be a bit off-putting.

Have a good race!

Many thanks for the heads up, I will post a report on it when Im back on Tuesday. Looking forward to this. I have a PB of 3.56 so hoping to go sub 3.50.

back home in Dublin. A PB for me 3.52 and 25 secs. It was my fourth marathon, my first being Dublin last year and I have managed to bring my time down from 4.33 in Dublin then 3.58 in Barcelona , 3.56 in Waterford to yesterdays time. A really well organised marathon I have to say.The weather was perfect, about 10 or 12 degrees and very little wind, sun was out too. We started over in Birkenhead Park on the Wirral. The first 5 or 6 miles there wasnt many spectators out despite running through residential areas. However we went through the Queensway Tunnel and as you emerged on the Liverpool side the crowds were amazing. Nasty hill at 17 miles took a lot out of me, however you came back down the hill with around a mile or so to go and that helped a lot.As in Waterford, I started to suffer some tummy problems from mile 23, which is an improvement because in Waterford the tummy started to give way at mile 20. It seems to come with the territory I think. Anyway thats my marathons done for this year, planning a few next year already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

back home in Dublin. A PB for me 3.52 and 25 secs. It was my fourth marathon, my first being Dublin last year and I have managed to bring my time down from 4.33 in Dublin then 3.58 in Barcelona , 3.56 in Waterford to yesterdays time. A really well organised marathon I have to say.The weather was perfect, about 10 or 12 degrees and very little wind, sun was out too. We started over in Birkenhead Park on the Wirral. The first 5 or 6 miles there wasnt many spectators out despite running through residential areas. However we went through the Queensway Tunnel and as you emerged on the Liverpool side the crowds were amazing. Nasty hill at 17 miles took a lot out of me, however you came back down the hill with around a mile or so to go and that helped a lot.As in Waterford, I started to suffer some tummy problems from mile 23, which is an improvement because in Waterford the tummy started to give way at mile 20. It seems to come with the territory I think. Anyway thats my marathons done for this year, planning a few next year already.
    Well done. Good to hear it was well organised. Would like to do it at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Looks like this is cancelled this year, according to the bbc the organisers couldn't agree a course with the council

Advertisement