Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just milled an AR15 receiver from a lump of aluminum!

Options
  • 18-06-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Here in the states, the lower receiver of an AR15 is the serialized and hence "controlled" part.
    You can buy over the counter (ie no paper) an 80% completed Lower receiver like so:

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-products/80-receivers/80-ar-15-lower-receiver.html

Typically you need to mill out the fire control group pocket and drill out the selector, tigger and sear pin holes.

Once you have done this, it becomes a 100% complete receiver and is considered a firearm.
    It legal here in the states to make one for yourself, and no further registration etc is needed.
    Infact if it's never going to leave your posession you don't even need to serialise it.

So anyway, I milled it out on a CNC last night and built it up.
    I'll be taking it to the range tonight.

Pics in a few mins.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

That's class...did you use that 80% complete yoke or did you actually mill the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I used the 80% complete casting.

7394672750_0b311c65b5_b.jpg
    CIMG0018 by harmoniums, on Flickr

7394674228_24d4814486_b.jpg
    CIMG0019 by harmoniums, on Flickr

7394675542_6b0f117517_b.jpg
    CIMG0020 by harmoniums, on Flickr

7394677106_72e2ed4881_b.jpg
    CIMG0021 by harmoniums, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

nice work fair play to ya :cool:
    dura coat the lower black now and should be the job. let us know how it fires :D

dax121 wrote: »
    nice work fair play to ya :cool:
    dura coat the lower black now and should be the job. let us know how it fires :D

I kind of like the white metal mogadishu look!
    I have a home anodizing kit also, I may try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Cool.... Something Id love to do but you Have to be a dealer here to do it.

Do you have or have to have the bullet button on the mag ?

How did you square out the mag tunnel ? File or broach ?

Dont you have to put manufacturers markings on it now ?? lol... what serial number will you give it ?

What way are you going to do the markings ?

Gh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

harmoniums wrote: »
    I have a home anodizing kit also, I may try that.

How do you find DIY anodizing? Is it any good?

How do you find DIY anodizing? Is it any good?

I'll let you know when I do it.

Cool.... Something Id love to do but you Have to be a dealer here to do it.

Do you have or have to have the bullet button on the mag ?

How did you square out the mag tunnel ? File or broach ?

Dont you have to put manufacturers markings on it now ?? lol... what serial number will you give it ?

What way are you going to do the markings ?

Gh

yep I have a bullet button on.

the mag tunnel was already milled.
    I just needed to mill out the FCG pocket, the trigger slot and 3 holes

1/ the selector
    2/ the trigger axis hole
    3/ the hammer hole

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MacsuibhneR

Well done, there is something nice about the aluminium look. If I were you I would leave it for a while before anodising or duracoating it.

harmoniums wrote: »
    yep I have a bullet button on.

the mag tunnel was already milled.
    I just needed to mill out the FCG pocket, the trigger slot and 3 holes

1/ the selector
    2/ the trigger axis hole
    3/ the hammer hole

Awww wheres the fun in that ...... next time go for the 30% lower lol :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Very nice harmoniums , what grade of aluminium is that ? Would it corrode if you left it bare ? You'll have to do a 1911 build to match !

http://www.cncguns.com/forum/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Very nice Har..You are actually the 1st person I have seen to have built one of these from the 80% billet ;):D.There used to be another version of these with the fire control pocket machined out.Are they still out there or has ATF clamped down on them as well??They looked a bit simpler in that all the pins neede drilling out and the recoil tube thread needed cutting.You just neede a jig or very good plans to drill them out.

@GH,if you is making it for yourself and you intend to keep it forever more,you do not have to put ANY ID marks on it in the US. BUT you cant sell,inherit,trade,swop or do anything with it at all at all,as it is your personal self made gun.When you depart to the great rifle range in the sky,it has to be destroyed.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    When you depart to the great rifle range in the sky,it has to be destroyed.:(

Could it be buried with you?;)

Without a doubt..
    Some of those American caskets[like Batesville,the cadillac of coffins.] are aluminium/titanium and are as good if not better than some gunsafes.They are air tight and sealable and their entire upper lid can be converted to a time capsule type affair where all sorts of momentos can be put.As the Americans usually line their graves with brick and then just capstone the grave hole.
    You and your guns will be fine for eternity .:D cost about 4000 dollars upwards.:eek:
    Any and all agencies will accept that being buried with your firearms is definately putting them permantly out of comission:).

Dont bother trying to get a Batesville into an Irish graveyard.Because of their impregnibility they wont rot ,so it can cause a bit of a problem if you want to plant the next one the family plot and Uncle Harry still hasnt returned to earth.

Thanks to a contact in the Irish funeral services and fellow shooter for above info;)]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I like the silver look as well. maybe Hard anodised grey would be the ticket, something different from the all black look.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 spudy1991

does anyone here know if any1 is importing from tatical machining

Do they not ship international themselves ?

If you read their website, they ship internationally.
    I wouldn't order one if I lived outside the USA though, ATF rules are not AGS rules....

If it is as an unfinished to 80% or less reciver block ATF isnt too concerned,as far as they care it is a unfinished lump of aluminium vaugely in the shape of a lower reciver that can be exported.
    As a matter of fact ATF changed the whole thing about the 80% recivers.They used to be available with the fire control well already machined out,and the buffer tube thread was un threaded.Now you have to machine out the fire control well and drill the holes.A much more complex operation,that without a special jig and ,or a vertical milling machine as well as a VG reciver templates and alot of machine shop experiance is not going to be somthing you are going to do with a Black&Decker drill and your table vice.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Wikipedia shows 30+ manufacturers of AR 15s. I think at one point I actually was up to 50 and stopped counting. Recently Mossberg just entered the market with their version. Now, with a little machining capability, you too can join the swelling ranks of AR makers!

Harmoniums, before you anodize it, you need to work out an appropriate logo to stamp on the receiver. For example, if you're a horse person, you could have an image of yourself riding a colt.

• Advertisement

Be an intresting project for here if you could get an Irish gunsmith to do the machine work for you, of the lower reciver and register it as a irish made gun..parts are cheap as chips in both the EU and US for whatever variation of an AR platform you would fancy.Remember it doesnt have to be semi auto r evilll black rifle either .
    You can have it ,semi,bolt action,lever action,single shot,muzzle loading...:eek: [Yes,somone with too much time on their hands built a muzzle loading AR upper]
    Calibres everything from .22lr up to 50 BMG inc .410 shotgun

Advertisement