Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hints on effectively using social media for publicity

Options
  • 18-06-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi,

Do any of you have any hints on how to effectively use social media, lets say Facebook, to effectively promote a local history, self published book.

I went to great lenghts to create images and content, and even sent out the page to my friends, of which I have a few hundred and only ten actually took the time to like it. I had hoped that doing so would cause a snow ball effect, but that failed.

I then posted a link on the pages of a lot of local historical groups. Some were not impressed and deleted the link. On other pages many, many, many people liked the post, but not the page itself!

so that was a second failure.

Has anyone here paid for Facebook advertisements, are they worth the money?

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Have you any upcoming events? That can be a good way of publicisingand can garner a lot of interest on the internet - I know that's more a real time thing though. Also, kick your friends up the ass. The least they can do is like and share the page, even if they have no real interest - and I don't mean to be mean about it, your book is clearly more niche than mainstream.

Don't just post on other pages as that can be seen as spamming. Get talking there and introduce yourself and let people know what you're doing.

I've never paid for facebook adverts but I do think they work. I've clicked on lots of interesting niche things there - much more than I would ever click on a more mainstream ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

nicowa wrote: »
    Have you any upcoming events? That can be a good way of publicisingand can garner a lot of interest on the internet - I know that's more a real time thing though. Also, kick your friends up the ass. The least they can do is like and share the page, even if they have no real interest - and I don't mean to be mean about it, your book is clearly more niche than mainstream.

Don't just post on other pages as that can be seen as spamming. Get talking there and introduce yourself and let people know what you're doing.

I've never paid for facebook adverts but I do think they work. I've clicked on lots of interesting niche things there - much more than I would ever click on a more mainstream ad.

Thank you for the response.

I have two events coming up, the actual launch night and a signing in a singing day in a local museum.

I hear that initially, Facebook adverts are good, and most importantly reasonably cheap. But as time goes on and you get more views the prices can become very, very daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved from Literature to Internet Marketing. While you're looking for advice on promoting a book, it's almost certainly a better spot for getting answers on it than Creative Writing (which was the other option).:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you are looking to promote it without using a network.

as has been mentioned earlier its probably a niche area rather than mainstream so look at who your target circle is ...are they on facebook ? or are they in book shops ? libraries ? coffee shops ?

Do up a number of posters and ask various businesses around the area for sponsorship (for launch night) - invite them along regardless of whether they give sponsorship and offer free wine/nibbles at the launch.

if you are looking at local newspaper coverage or even local radio coverage - let them know the event is on and let them decide if they can/want to send a photographer/reporter - it could be an area that interests the editor...or it might bore him/her....but a phone call will give you an idea.

if you can ... try to get someone interesting or a well known person to launch it.... if you are stuck for a crowd or think it may not be a big crowd....let a few flyers around the local art college (if any) ... students get a whiff of free wine/nibbles and they turn up.

just a few suggestions (I work as a photographer so have helped assist on many book launches - many people do not know how to promote themselves.... for some..its easier to hire a PR person and pay them to use their network of contacts.

EDIT: This is nothing to do with SEO/Social media ...its basic PR

Advertisement