Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dole payments idea

• 18-06-2012 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

I've been thinking about a system to cut social welfare spending,
    how about dole payments are paid for every day you sign on Monday - Friday

So for example if someone gets €188 a week they now get €37.60 for everyday they sign on, maybe the dole office could allocate receipients a time slot so joe bloggs must turn up every working day @ 11.15am.

Exceptions could be things like job interview paperwork, sick note, hospital appointments (for themselves only, I don't get a day off in my job to bring my child, mother, dog to hospital)

Joe bloggs only signs on 3 days then he only gets paid 3 days, I think it would go along way to sorting out the scrounger's, staying in bed hungover will lose them money etc and the honest man or woman who is looking to get back to work shouldn't have a problem with this so its mainly to target the lazy and black market brigade (we won;t see as many holiday pics in spain on their facebook pages I'd bet)

Shoot me down............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Big Mouth wrote: »

So for example if someone gets €188 a week they now get €37.60 for everyday they sign on, maybe the dole office could allocate receipients a time slot so joe bloggs must turn up every working day @ 11.15am.

Exceptions could be things like job interview paperwork, sick note, hospital appointments (for themselves only, I don't get a day off in my job to bring my child, mother, dog to hospital)

Joe bloggs only signs on 3 days then he only gets paid 3 days, I think it would go along way to sorting out the scrounger's, staying in bed hungover will lose them money etc and the honest man or woman who is looking to get back to work shouldn't have a problem with this so its mainly to target the lazy and black market brigade (we won;t see as many holiday pics in spain on their facebook pages I'd bet)

That says it all really doesnt it

I dont get this so no one else should

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

It sounds unworkable, unreasonable and unsustainable. Its seems less about cutting the social welfare budget and more about punishing people for being on the dole.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

You see the signing on queues when people have to sign on every MONTH?

You think this would work for people every DAY.

Sorry the staff would walk out. It's completely unworkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

Sin City wrote: »
    That says it all really doesnt it

I dont get this so no one else should

No no, its not like that at all :rolleyes:

Instead of picking on one part to twist around maybe you could say if you agree with it or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

sarumite wrote: »
    It sounds unworkable, unreasonable and unsustainable. Its seems less about cutting the social welfare budget and more about punishing people for being on the dole.

Punishing people? Jeez what about people who go throught the punishment of getting up everyday going to work and getting ~€340 a week as opposed to the "punishment" of taking 20mins out of your day to sign on for €200 a week plus benefits

• Advertisement

No no, its not like that at all :rolleyes:

Instead of picking on one part to twist around maybe you could say if you agree with it or not?

One part?

Ok what about the holiday in Spain part?

Its clear that you have a problem with those on the dole and you just want them punished or make them jump through more hoops to get their dole

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

The additional cost in pointless bureaucracy caused by this would be payed how?

Punishing people? Jeez what about people who go throught the punishment of getting up everyday going to work and getting ~€340 a week as opposed to the "punishment" of taking 20mins out of your day to sign on for €200 a week plus benefits

Could you live on the 180 a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When I first read the opening post I thought, "here's someone just trying to punish dole recipients" but when you think about it.... those of us who work have to turn up to work every day in order to get paid for every day... does that mean we are being punished for having a job??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

The main beef I have with the recession is that it breeds small discriminatory 'opinions' i like this. There are 450k people on the dole. You seem to think they are all some kind of scrounger sub-class

Why dont we put a tattoo on their arms for easy processing?

Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

So quit your job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I agree with Jaytee, the staff already say they are overworked with only one day per week signing. The Unions would go mental, though I don't recall them moaning about staff being under-worked when there was supposedly full employment in the country, and social welfare had pretty much the same number of staff.
    dog to hospital

Seriously though, the above tells me that you are just taking the p*** and are looking for an anti dole sponger type thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

D1stant wrote: »
    The main beef I have with the recession is that it breeds small discriminatory 'opinions' i like this. There are 450k people on the dole. You seem to think they are all some kind of scrounger sub-class

Why dont we put a tattoo on their arms for easy processing?

Grow up.

Naaaa, I say just tattoo the ones who were on the dole before the recesssion ie; when they could have worked but didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    When I first read the opening post I thought, "here's someone just trying to punish dole recipients" but when you think about it.... those of us who work have to turn up to work every day in order to get paid for every day... does that mean we are being punished for having a job??

But you turn up for work so that your labour can be exchanged for your wages. People on the social welfare aren't providing labour hence they have no reason to turn up everyday other then to satisfy the desires of the "social-welfare are dirty spongers brigade" who want to see them forced into a variety of humiliating prerequisites for collecting their entitlements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Using my own experience, when I was on social welfare the department, in their wisdom, decided that my "local" office was over an hour away (and €8 in bus trips), despite the fact that there were two offices a lot closer, and cheaper to get to.

Spending 2+ hours and €8 a day traveling (and then more time queuing) just to say I exist is not sensible. Getting interview paperwork is not always feasible either, and what happens if you travel to a different part of the country for an interview and stay overnight?

I'd much prefer a system whereby you could email your job hunt proofs to a specific mailbox (e.g. <MyPPS>@socialwelfare.ie) so that there'd be a record that you were actively seeking work. If you had paper based applications/PFOs, you could bring those with you on your sign on date to be added to your folder, but the electronic applications would add themselves automatically to your file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭SeanW

dole scroungers ... spend all their money on drink ... blah blah blah.
    Ok. Your assumptions are completely out of touch with reality.
    1. Most dole offices, I imagine, can take a person way more than 20 minutes to sign. Assuming of course the person actually lives next door to the dole office which is also nonsense.
    2. The bureaucratic cost of this "plan" would be humonguous, and would massively outweigh any savings.
    3. Assuming you have a good job, your salary pays for a good quality of life for you INCLUDING commuting costs. Your "plan" would add an extra commuting cost to a recipients weekly outgoings, at minimum a weekly bus ticket (those things don't grow on trees) at worst, daily parking costs, extra fuel etc. I assume you do not also plan to raise the dole to account for these extra costs? Or perhaps you think that the current payment should be enough to cover these costs and still afford the filthy scrounger the lifestyle of a king?

It would make more sense to cut the dole to save money, your plan is just plain silly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

OldNotWIse wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭marknjb

surely all u would have to do is give every one a clock in card or the ones that they have that u use ure thumb against the screen they are linked to a computer
    no extra work for staff it would be done by computer no queues as these work very fast no more welfare tourists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

signing on everyday,is more costly to the state,not the brighest of ideas,although i do see the principle,will sort out the scammers from the non scammers,but think of the queues and the fact that the post office have to sort that money everyday instead of paying out on the one day..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Its a pointless exercise though. There is no real tangible benefit to the idea. You are just forcing people do something for 20 mins (which is actually more like 2 hours....but thats beside the point) for the sake of it. It comes across as just petty to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

We should separate the dole into 2 types of payment. 1 is the Jobseekers Allowance for people that have lost their job. This should be a decent payment lasting up to 2 years. If you are still unemployed after that then you should be moved on to Subsistence Payment this should be mainly in the form of vouchers and should be less than half the Jobseekers rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's a lot wrong with the OP, personally I don't like punishing the majority for the sins of a stereotypical minority, never mind the financial and logistical implications but it seems to consist mostly of a thought that just came into the OP's head, and that is against the charter.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement