Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commemoration Plans DCN

Options
  • 18-06-2012 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

I was listening to the RTE History show yesterday. They were discussing the topic of Commemorations as in coming years it will be the 100 year anniversary of the start of The Great War, The 1916 Easter Rising and The War of Independence. Anyone know if there are any Commemoration plans in the pipeline for DCN?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Was wondering when this would come up.

This is a great opportunity for D.C.N to create some sort of history trail. I am sure every village had people who played a big role in all these events. Thomas Ashe, Rover McCann and Kit Mackey come to mind from Rush and Lusk. The presence of Dr Cusack in Rush, he practiced in Oldtown I believe. David Snook has done great work on Irish seamen and especially ones from around Rush, Lusk and Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Ricard Coleman from Swords was supposedly the man who fired the first shot of the Rising..

http://www.swordsdublin.net/richard_coleman.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Someone posted this link over in the History Forum.

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/

Back in the day to get an IRA pension you had to submit witness statements of your involvement in action. Some statements may contain inaccuracies as most were recorded in the late 40s and 50s but still a fascinating insight into the times. Joseph Lawless account is a history of Swords and Fingal.

A few highlights:
    • A popular quip about the Fingal Brigade in 1916 was that "The Fingal Brigade was mobilised and he turned up".
    • The local IRA had a plan to infect the local reservoir that supplied water to Gormanstown Military Camp with Typhus.
    • The Coastguard stations in Rush and Skerries were attacked because they planned to land an arms shipment at Loughshinny.

Someone posted this link over in the History Forum.

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/

Back in the day to get an IRA pension you had to submit witness statements of your involvement in action. Some statements may contain inaccuracies as most were recorded in the late 40s and 50s but still a fascinating insight into the times. Joseph Lawless account is a history of Swords and Fingal.

A few highlights:
    • A popular quip about the Fingal Brigade in 1916 was that "The Fingal Brigade was mobilised and he turned up".
    • The local IRA had a plan to infect the local reservoir that supplied water to Gormanstown Military Camp with Typhus.
    • The Coastguard stations in Rush and Skerries were attacked because they planned to land an arms shipment at Loughshinny.

I would imagine a lot of the records were destroyed and we get bits and pieces about that time. I have not read much on it but I would say most Fingal if not all Fingal towns had active people in the I.R.A.

I think if the historical societies came together they would or could produce a fairly substantial volume of work. I remember hearing Kit Mackey saying he was chased accross the South beach by Black and Tans and lost them in the Hilly Skilly's, (Dunes at end of South Beach)

And we have the Gathering next year another potentially great event. The HB might even get home for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

A relation of mine was in the IRB ,he was arrested I think just off talbot street and went to fragock in Wales .i might have spelt that wrong.anyways my aunt has his letters from when he applied for his pension ,a cross that he made while in fragock and some type of woven ag a Magaberry ??? Bag. Most likely i got that name wrong.Her sister has the medal he got for been In The IRB. all these items are safely Li ked up in NOrth County Dublin .She has pictures of him with I think it was Micheal Collins.its my auntys dad.history was never my strong point,much to my shame.anyway there you go a little. It of history in NCD

Oh IRB is IRish republican BROTHERHOOD , from what I can remember:) I'd have to ask my son how they became the IRA :(

• Advertisement

LeoB wrote: »
    I would imagine a lot of the records were destroyed and we get bits and pieces about that time. I have not read much on it but I would say most Fingal if not all Fingal towns had active people in the I.R.A.

I think if the historical societies came together they would or could produce a fairly substantial volume of work. I remember hearing Kit Mackey saying he was chased accross the South beach by Black and Tans and lost them in the Hilly Skilly's, (Dunes at end of South Beach)

And we have the Gathering next year another potentially great event. The HB might even get home for that!!

Some towns had more than others, Swords and Lusk seemed more active. Balbriggan before the Sack of Balbriggan was seen as a Unionist town because many depended on jobs in English companies. I think Balbriggan had the highest amount of people in Fingal who went to fight in the Great War. Michael Rock(Skerries) in his papers has an account of the attack on the Barracks in Rush. Lets say he was less than impressed with the Rush IRA members involvement.

I suppose quite a few around Rush would have been employed on the Palmer estate and this like Balbriggan would influenced what people said or done. Was Knockdrummin a similar situation at the time. Fingal had a few big farm estates back then also.

Stumbled across this site dedicated to the men of the Donabate & Portrane area who fought in the Great War.

http://dpitgw.webs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Stumbled across this site dedicated to the men of the Donabate & Portrane area who fought in the Great War.

http://dpitgw.webs.com/

Here's a link to an account of the ''Battle Of Ashbourne.''

5th Batallion, led by Thomas Ashe.

http://www.1916rising.com/pic_battleashbourne.html

Fingal Roll of Honour World War One

The list is not a comprehensive one but does provide some additional information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

martinn123 wrote: »
    Here's a link to an account of the ''Battle Of Ashbourne.''

5th Batallion, led by Thomas Ashe.

http://www.1916rising.com/pic_battleashbourne.html

Spoke to an elderly resident of Lusk, who recounts a story.

Resident in Newhaggart was woken by knocking on the door.
    shouting out ''who's there'' the reply was.....You are ordered by Comdt Ashe to assemble now for a mission.

Reply.....Ah Feck Off, its the GobS##te next door you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Anyone know if the 1913 Farm Labourer's Strike will be commemorated in Swords, Rush or Skerries?

Would locals who worked on estate farms been brave enough at that stage to go on strike? Are there records of this around here. I woud have thought most would have been happy enough with life on Palmer estate. I have not heard any bad reports of how workers were treated, well no worse than young lads when picking spuds or tomatoes 20-30 years ago.

Did this coincide with the lockout?Would the lockout have stretched to the mills in Balbriggan?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

LeoB wrote: »
    Would locals who worked on estate farms been brave enough at that stage to go on strike? Are there records of this around here. I woud have thought most would have been happy enough with life on Palmer estate. I have not heard any bad reports of how workers were treated, well no worse than young lads when picking spuds or tomatoes 20-30 years ago.

Did this coincide with the lockout?Would the lockout have stretched to the mills in Balbriggan?

Swords Riot, Walk out of staff on Holmpatrick estates and Palmer estates, Jim Larkin in Rush and Skerries to encourage strikers, boycott of strike breakers by shops in Skerries and Rush. Surely the local Labour party is doing something or have they forgotten their roots?

Swords Riot 1913
    http://www.theirishstory.com/2013/07/15/the-principal-rallying-ground-for-the-larkinites-the-swords-riot-of-1913/#.UhFAFtKOQ6U

Advertisement