Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank made an error with a cheque and now I'm in arrears!!

Options
  • 18-06-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm after receiving a phone call from the bank saying that I lodged a cheque back in late April for €100 which I did.

Somehow the check went through as €1,000. I lodged it with a cashier so obviously she made a mistake.

The bank are now saying I owe the €900 and it's to be paid back immediately which will put my account into arrears! I know the money has to be paid back but for them to put me into arrears I think is slightly unfair considering it was a human error on their part.

Has anybody had any experience of anything like this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Surely you noticed the extra €900.00 in your account at some point?

Either way, speak to them to see what can be done, generally I'd say they would just take it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Danye wrote: »

The bank are now saying I owe the €900 and it's to be paid back immediately which will put my account into arrears! I know the money has to be paid back but for them to put me into arrears I think is slightly unfair considering it was a human error on their part.

So hold on, you spent the extra €900?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ask them for a payment plan which can hopefully avoid any running into arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol

and we all blame bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

tricky D wrote: »
    Ask them for a payment plan which can hopefully avoid any running into arrears.

This. It happens a lot and payment plans are normally the best solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

Mena wrote: »
    Surely you noticed the extra €900.00 in your account at some point?

Either way, speak to them to see what can be done, generally I'd say they would just take it anyway.

No I didn't. It was the week before I went away on my holidays. I was due my holiday pay along with my normal pay plus my bonus. I just presumed it was part of that.

I also had some cash to take on my holidays with me so didn't need to go near the bank for the first few days.
    maximoose wrote: »
    So hold on, you spent the extra €900?

No. Not all of it. Some.
    lol

and we all blame bertie

What's you comment got anything what so ever to do with my post????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Its impossible to believe you didnt notice the extra €900 on your account

considering if you pay i back it will out you into minus

Im 99% positive that you seen it and spent it hoping the bank wouldnt notice their mistake but they did lol and you have to pay it back

WIZE wrote: »
    Its impossible to believe you didnt notice the extra €900 on your account

considering if you pay i back it will out you into minus

Im 99% positive that you seen it and spent it hoping the bank wouldnt notice their mistake but they did lol and you have to pay it back

I can't understand the bit in bold?

If that's what you think I would highly question your intelligence!? :confused:

I lodged a cheque for €100 the bank made a mistake and put it through as a €1,000 and I went away and spent some of it because I thought the bank wouldn't notice it??

Seriously?? Seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Danye, there's not much point in getting into a barney with other posters about what happened. What matters is this: you have a degree of responsibility to keep an eye on your bank account, and you should spot when mistakes are made. You should have been aware that there was €900 too much in your account, and you should not have used any of it.

No I didn't. It was the week before I went away on my holidays. I was due my holiday pay along with my normal pay plus my bonus. I just presumed it was part of that.

I also had some cash to take on my holidays with me so didn't need to go near the bank for the first few days.

No. Not all of it. Some.

What's you comment got anything what so ever to do with my post????

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

ask the bank for a free overdraft for the amount of €900 so that you can have the availability of the account while you actually pay it back.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Just go back to the same cashier with a €100 euro cheque, that will buy you some time!!

Danye, there's not much point in getting into a barney with other posters about what happened. What matters is this: you have a degree of responsibility to keep an eye on your bank account, and you should spot when mistakes are made. You should have been aware that there was €900 too much in your account, and you should not have used any of it.

Hi, yea I agree I have some blame. But it seems as though I'm taking full blame.

That's what more of my gripe is. I got a phone call yesterday afternoon almost accusing me of stealing money from the bank and that it was my fault and there just going to go into my bank account take what they owe and leave my account in a deficit. That's what my problem is.

And then you have "Fighting Irish" posting something that had nothing to do with what I asked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Hi, yea I agree I have some blame. But it seems as though I'm taking full blame.

That's what more of my gripe is. I got a phone call yesterday afternoon almost accusing me of stealing money from the bank and that it was my fault and there just going to go into my bank account take what they owe and leave my account in a deficit. That's what my problem is.
    Tone is important, and the bank might have used the wrong tone. That's annoying, but don't let it get too far under your skin.

Remind them that their mistake contributed to the difficulty, and then go with tricky D's suggestion of asking to agree with you a suitable plan for clearing the deficit. Tell them also that a suitable plan does not involve charging you a penal rate of interest.

And then you have "Fighting Irish" posting something that had nothing to do with what I asked!!

I still stand by what i said.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

This is like a 'father ted' sketch with the money resting in your account. I find it hard to believe that you were not aware of the extra 900 in your account. Smile and pay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

How much of the original 900 do you need to make up to clear the debt?
    Is it small enough to clear on your next pay day?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

Hi I used to work in reconciliations part of an international bank and i know that if a payment is placed in an account in error the bank cannot take the money back without your permission so i would suggust you write a letter stating you accept it was an error on their part that 1000Eur was placed in your account instead of 100Eur and you agree you have a responsibility to keep an eye on your account but in this case you did miss their error due to been away on holidays at the time and as such you would be happy for them to deduct a certain sum on the day you get paid each month until they have 900Eur back. Hope this helps.

Advertisement