Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fondant icing , how much?

Options
  • 18-06-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

hi all, I'm making cake for end of school, it'll be 12in x 18in, 3ins high,
    or 31cm x46cm , 8cm high, how much fondant will i need, and where is best place to get it, will need to colour some of it, and read , its best to get gel colours, is that right, really grateful for any input,
    many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

Hi I cant help with how much fondant you'll need but I can help with where to get it.Tesco's and other big supermarkets will sell it ready made shouldnt cost that much,gel colours are best how soon do you need them ? because ordering online would be cheapest for the gels.

Edit i just found this http://www.globalsugarart.com/?id=24

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

thanks stray cat, need it for 29th of this month, just have no idea how much to get, I'll check out that link,
    thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You'll need a fair bit, that's a big cake to be covering in one sheet of sugarpaste, an 8 inch round takes about 800g-1kg (to be sure you have enough to cover it with a bit spare) so I would have at least 2-2.5kg, with square edges you'll need it to be plenty big enough to cover them and not tear.

thanks Acochla, do you think i could get away with just covering the top? as never used fondent before, had a look at u tube, and not sure i'm up to the job of covering whole cake,
    thanks again

What type of cake is it? I don't like cakes only covered on the top but that's not to say you can't do it, I think it can look like two different cakes. Does it have to be so big? Or could you make a round one instead?

• Advertisement

yes,need it that size as it for end of school, small county school, 48 children, your right prob look odd with just top done, it'll be madeira, or pound cake with buttercream and lemon curd norm would not use fondent, but need to do green flag on it and thought it might look better in fondent, nearly sorry i offered now,, thanks for help :)

A 10 inch square cake would easily serve about 40-50 portions, cakes with sugarpaste on them are firm and denser than dessert cakes so you cut smaller slices, especially for children, you'd only need a cake as big as you'd planned if it was a dessert cake that would be cut in big slabs or wedges.

thanks Acoshla, parents and teachers as well, :) will have a go over weekend with small cake, other wise will just use buttercream, thanks again

Advertisement