Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you become more religious because of the leaving cert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

biohaiid wrote: »
    Sorta.
    I got loads of those exam prayer things from people that I kept in my bag.
    I kept one in my left jean pocket during all the exams except for maths paper 2 and that one went crap.
    So I've gotten more superstitious if anything.

''prayer things'' in your bag? sorry, i know people are entitled to believe whatever they want, but that's properly handicapped
    I cant help but picture these heathens worshipping their magic trinkets....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Togepi wrote: »
    Really? What, like the higher your IQ, the less likely you are to be religious?

Correlation does not imply causation! Probably the most infamous definition of Project Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

''prayer things'' in your bag? sorry, i know people are entitled to believe whatever they want, but that's properly handicapped

Care to explain your train of thought here?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Togepi wrote: »
    Care to explain your train of thought here?

Extra weight (in this case religious relics in his bag) is considered a handicap in horse racing.

''if i keep these pieces of paper in my bag, they might help me with my exams...''
    what, god is gonna come down from heaven and bestow divine knowledge upon you mid-exam? totally rational....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I cant help but picture these heathens worshipping their magic trinkets....

I'm atheist, and honestly it's been hard for me not to take the piss on this thread, but seriously you need to understand how much of an ass this post makes you look like.

No need to ridicule people, everyone's entitled to believe what they want. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you have to mock people's opinions.

I know yeah, but superstition grates on my soo much, i had to take the bait and go on my little militant atheist rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Not at all, my faith is just as important to me as ever! Wait, is atheism a faith? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Bit harsh lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

This thread will most likely be locked soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Not at all, my faith is just as important to me as ever! Wait, is atheism a faith? :o

Lack of faith maybe? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

I didn't think any people our age were still religious..? At least ones capable of sitting exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

fatther-ted-down-with-this-sort-of-thing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

I personally don't understand atheist, they claim to think rationally but their reasoning to god inexistances is illogical.
    I don't think god will give me sudden knowledge durning my exam, but I hope he will help me start claim and collected "Heaven Helps thoses who help themselves".
    I will most like get insulted for saying this but

I think you can't call yourself an atheist until you have left home, you are independent and really start to live your own life.
    Why? Simply because MAJORITY of YOUNG atheists say they are what they are because of what their parents are.
    Either in agreement to their parents or rebellion against their parents religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I didn't think any people our age were still religious..? At least ones capable of sitting exams.

Honestly I think it's a form of brainwashing that causes belief of gods in this day and age. Being subjected to that kind of thing from the day your born isn't right. It'll be one of those things in the future we'll look back on and go "Ah lads, the f*ck were we thinking?"

..aannnnnndd we have a winner, lol i thought nobody would top my post's ignorance.....

Honestly I think it's a form of brainwashing that causes belief of gods in this day and age. Being subjected to that kind of thing from the day your born isn't right. It'll be one of those things in the future we'll look back on and go "Ah lads, the f*ck were we thinking?"

Are you CEREAL!!!
    Yes sure I was brought up to know god but it was never crammed down MY throat.
    Why? Because I know there is a god.
    Don't assume that religion is "brainwashing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I personally don't understand atheist, they claim to think rationally but their reasoning to god inexistances is illogical.

you ''don't understand atheist''.

the belief that some cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him to accept him as your master, so he can remove and evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Now that's logic.

I don't think god will give me sudden knowledge durning my exam, but I hope he will help me start claim and collected "Heaven Helps thoses who help themselves".

I think you can't call yourself an atheist until you have left home, you are independent and really start to live your own life.
    Why? Simply because MAJORITY of YOUNG atheists say they are what they are because of what their parents are.
    Either in agreement to their parents or rebellion against their parents religion.

I made a rant about the Christians and their bible including things like Deuteronomy 17:12 and Leviticus 20:13, but I might be banned if I posted it. Agree to disagree

• Advertisement

That's actually the main problem I have with religon. Never had a choice, was just told from the age of around 4 that God exists etc etc, If you tell a 4 year old there's a god s/he's going to believe it. Definitly a form of brainwashing.

Organised religon is what pisses me off though, not peoples actual faith or belief in a god.

HowAreWe wrote: »

you ''don't understand atheist''.

the belief that some cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him to accept him as your master, so he can remove and evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Now that's logic.

-_- Only "crazys" take the bible literally.
    You have done enoght poetry to know to read deeper

Are you CEREAL!!!

Yeah you have all of that irrefutable evidence.. Oh wait

Martin_94 wrote: »
    That's actually the main problem I have with religon. Never had a choice, was just told from the age of around 4 that God exists etc etc, If you tell a 4 year old there's a god s/he's going to believe it. Definitly a form of brainwashing.

Organised religon is what pisses me off though, not peoples actual faith or belief in a god.

Agree with all of this. It's not actual full on intentional brain-washing, but hearing prayers every day in school, having to go to mass every week plus whatever religious practise goes on at home will obviously influence kids.

I've never seen God, half the world is starving to death. Seems fairly logical to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Are you sure the saying isn't "themselves helps those who helps themselves" I don't see the exterior force. If I try to be calm I will be calm, nobody makes me be calm, it is my wanting to be calm that does it.

By your logic nobody could call themselves anything until they leave home.

I have read more religious books than you have probably heard of. I also have a keen intrest in physics. I find the concept of a diety to be impossible. I have picked out over 100 things in the bible that are wrong about the world. Why would anyone base their beliefs on a book that makes over 100 mistakes about the physical world the man in the book created?

In the bible god is quoted as saying that "all land floats on water". That alone makes me sure the bible is false. No land has ever floated on water, but if god made land and water he would surely know.

Christians tend to believe what they choose to. You may not do something like steal because the bible says it is wrong but did you know it is also just as wrong to cut your hair? You should be going to confession every time you shave or cut your hair if you do truly believe the bible is the word of god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

If there's one thing worse than people talking about god, it's teenagers with their oh so unique views on atheism. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I know there is a god.

How do you of all people know that. The world greatest religous scolars and many of the most highly religious people have said they do not know.

There is a theory called russel's teapot. This theory proves that until you prove there is a god, technically there is no god. Rather than god being real until it is proven false.

Are you CEREAL!!!

Yup!!
    I love science and. I expects its theories but still it can explain fully why there is a ZERO percent chance that we should exist I will assume myself there is A GOD. That percent is proof I present before you.

• Advertisement

Are you CEREAL!!!

Yup!!
    I love science and. I expects its theories but still it can explain fully why there is a ZERO percent chance that we should exist I will assume myself there is A GOD. That percent is proof I present before you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement