Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you become more religious because of the leaving cert

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Well someone got our Irish Paper 1 changed to that beautiful paper... Don't tell me that wasn't God ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

i believe in god in the same vein as i believe in the toothfairy, just because i cannot disprove it, does not give me a reason to believe it exists. @educationFinder, if youre trolling, 10/10, if you're actually serious with that ''i know there is a god'' stuff, the world just got that much more depressing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand atheist, they claim to think rationally but their reasoning to god inexistances is illogical.

I've never seen God, half the world is starving to death. Seems fairly logical to me.

We created that with our own hands, we dug that hole not god, hence logical. What you sow you shall reap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Yup!!
    I love science and. I expects its theories but still it can explain fully why there is a ZERO percent chance that we should exist I will assume myself there is A GOD. That percent is proof I present before you.

Incorrect. I do not know where you got this information from, but it's not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If there's one thing worse than people talking about god, it's teenagers with their oh so unique views on atheism. :rolleyes:

You cant really have a view on atheism, in reality it is all about not believing, you can't not believe different to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Yup!!
    I love science and. I expects its theories but still it can explain fully why there is a ZERO percent chance that we should exist I will assume myself there is A GOD. That percent is proof I present before you.

I don't really understand. But if you propose something (there's a god), the burden of proof is on you. I could say there's an extraterrestrial being in my wardrobe; no one will believe me unless I prove it, I don't expect people to start proposing theories and focusing on proving it's there.

Also, science progresses. It realizes where it's wrong, corrects itself, and moves on. Religion does not, but instead stays in the past with a book written thousands of years ago.

I'm not articulate enough to express my views in a decent way and I'm getting worked up so I better stop posting :p

Just a bit of fyi sceintifically there is an exactly equal chance of there being a god as there is a giant flying spaghetti monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

"Heaven Helps thoses who help themselves".
    In other words, heaven doesnt help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Most of my family are catholic. I'm not rebelling against them either. They probably don't even know I'm not a believer because I respect their views.

I don't see any kind of proof which should make me believe in it.
    It seems like it's made up with rules to show you right from wrong.

I think some people feel that believing in something helps them to overcome problems and to feel as if there is someone watching them but there isn't but they just like the idea of believing .Which isn't a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Stick it to the man guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

FFS I am so sick of this asshattery creeping into this forum. It was lets all hate on Chinese people the other day (also, wtf was that) and no we've decided we're all so very clever because of flying spaghetti monsters? Really? The debate on whether god exists or not is a pointless one and does nothing but upset people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Listen, if someone says they know there is a God who are we to argue with their beliefs. Surely the whole point of a belief is being sure in the knowledge of it. If you follow a religion you know there is a god, if you're atheist you know there isn't. Agnostic is the only real undecided belief system. Things happen in the world and in our lives that can further strengthen our beliefs, whether knowledge of gods existence or his absence. Nobody here knows another poster's experiences so how about we just calm down. You're not going to change anyone's beliefs no matter how wrong you think they are. Is arguing about it on the Internet really worth it?

Wow, the internet does not believe in god XD.

Yup!!

I don't really understand. But if you propose something (there's a god), the burden of proof is on you. I could say there's an extraterrestrial being in my wardrobe; no one will believe me unless I prove it, I don't expect people to start proposing theories and focusing on proving it's there.

Also, science progresses. It realizes where it's wrong, corrects itself, and moves on. Religion does not, but instead stays in the past with a book written thousands of years ago.

I'm not articulate enough to express my views in a decent way and I'm getting worked up so I better stop posting :p

Religion isn't the one that doesn't move on. Its man. MAN AND RELIGION TWO DIFFERENT THINGS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

We created that with our own hands, we dug that hole not god, hence logical. What you sow you shall reap

Most famines are due to climate and have been occuring long before global warming, so I fail to see how we dug that hole.

How is it illogical to not believe in something you've never seen?

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Listen, if someone says they know there is a God who are we to argue with their beliefs. Surely the whole point of a belief is being sure in the knowledge of it. If you follow a religion you know there is a god, if you're atheist you know there isn't. Agnostic is the only real undecided belief system. Things happen in the world and in our lives that can further strengthen our beliefs, whether knowledge of gods existence or his absence. Nobody here knows another poster's experiences so how about we just calm down. You're not going to change anyone's beliefs no matter how wrong you think they are. Is arguing about it on the Internet really worth it?

I'm gonna stop now but just two last things. It is impossible to know something unless you can prove it, thats part of knowing. The idea behind this lies with Schrödinger's cat.

The second thing is that if you take text from the sun newspaper and the bible both of equal length there will be more inaccuracies in the text from the bible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Lads, how about we all keep our beliefs to ourselves and don't try to push them down each others throats?

Kind of aimed at the 'atheists' here. If you don't believe in the supernatural then that's grand. Why do you have to keep 'proving' there is no God? The same way as believers cannot prove God exists, atheists also cannot prove that God doesn't exist.

Those who do believe in God, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. You too don't try to prove atheists otherwise, they have the right to their own opinion too.

And I think we can all agree that all texts from major world religions (the Bible, the Koran) have some sound life advice that is universal. Their value is big for that alone, if they are good for nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Previous threads on this topic have gotten out of hand, and this one is going the same way. Thread locked.

Have a look at the Religion/Spirituality forums if you want to continue your argument.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement