Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless Visa Debit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Another example of how the banks dictate to customers what they want as opposed to customers making choices for themselves. Seems like banks are pushing more and more towards a cashless society (one local branch of BOI recently refused to take bagged coinage off a friend who runs a business - they were told they'd have to go to larger branch in a town 15 miles away)

I received my Visa Debit Card despite neither want nor asking for one. My current standard ATM card will be deactivated in 2 months time so now I have to contact BOI to request that I get a new ATM card (and probably argue over who'll pick up the cost of this).

I see charges for contactless transactions are waived until April 2013 but will thereafter be 1.75% (min 10 cent) per transaction. I'm not sure what the current fee is for ATM transactions but I certainly don't like the idea of paying a transaction charge on each contactless transaction.

I notice that Gvmt Stamp Duty on the card will be 5 Euro (2.50 ATM and 2.50 Point of Sale facility). That's an extra 2.50 than I currently pay.

I would also have major security concerns with these cards. I'd not be happy unless PIN entry was still a requirement per transaction.

Fair play to the banks for trying to implement a vision where they don't have to handle any cash and we all pay them a fee each and every time we make a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

If you don't use POS on your card you still only have to pay 2.50 not 5.00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

will this service be provided to permanent tsb customers? we allready have visa debit cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi all,

Thanks for your posts.

boardzz is correct, if you decide not to use to The Point of Sale functionality of your Visa Debit card, the €2.50 Government Stamp Duty for that service is not applied. Once the card is used at any POS or for an online or telephone transaction, you will automatically become liable for the charge.

Depp,

We wouldn't be able to comment on what services are available to the customers of another bank. To find out if PTSB Visa Debit cards come with contactless functionality, you will need to contact PTSB directly or perhaps you can find the answer in the Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

They can now be used at McDonalds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Tried it in Mc Donalds the other day, Yer one is still looking at me...:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What's the point of this when so many places set a minimum transaction charge of €10?? It's nonsense, there should be nothing stopping a secondary charge of €0.25 if using card payment. All that's needed is a button on the till to "sell" a card transaction for 25 cent or indeed 50 cent. No need to simply ban the use of them below €10...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I believe retailers are not allowed to charge for CC transactions, it's against the terms of use. Anyway, I wouldn't "buy" it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi To be confirmed,

Thank for posting.

I will pass your suggestion to the Visa Debit Team.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

KoolKid wrote: »
    Tried it in Mc Donalds the other day, Yer one is still looking at me...
    yeah used it myself at the drive thru last week, the young wan handed me the card reader but i just tapped the card on top and it beeped, she was somewhat unsure that it had worked at all ;-) Its pretty remarkable how quickly these payments are authorised. now if only i could do this on my phone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 rleahy

request to the BoI team - can you please post a link to the page (BoI or Visa) that lists retailers that currently accept Visa contactless payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi rleahy.

Thanks for posting.

Please see Visa's own website here for information on where you can use your Contactless Visa Debit card.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.
    Laura

Advertisement