Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish Media - any relevance?

• 18-06-2012 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

I no longer have a TV, unless i find a newspaper in a cafe or a mate's house I don't buy them. As much as i stay tuned into the news, it's online or through friends. I only hear the radio if my girlfriend leaves it on and even then i think the Irish stuff is ****e. Without noticing it i've pretty much bypassed traditional Irish media and I don't miss it one bit. Anyone else in the same boat?
    I think we're too small a country to have a decent media sector and all the Denis O'Brien/Carr communications stuff that's been out lately makes me really think it's all spin anyway. In term's of entertainment there's nowt but ****e on RTE or TV3, so i get everything online. Anyone else now bypass the traditional Irish meeja?

The Irish Meeja? 26 votes

Bag o ****e
    0% 0 votes
    Still worth a look, relevant opinions etc
    76% 20 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    23% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I'm the exact opposite, I form all my opinions on important geopolitical issues based solely on the Sunday Independent and V.I.P. magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

So you get all your content for free and you're still giving out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Where do you get news about Ireland from?

boo3000 wrote: »
    all the Denis O'Brien/Carr communications stuff that's been out lately

Out where? I think you consume more Irish media than you think (or will admit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

You can't really fully avoid it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

boo3000 wrote: »
    I no longer have a TV, unless i find a newspaper in a cafe or a mate's house I don't buy them. As much as i stay tuned into the news, it's online or through friends. I only hear the radio if my girlfriend leaves it on and even then i think the Irish stuff is ****e. Without noticing it i've pretty much bypassed traditional Irish media and I don't miss it one bit. Anyone else in the same boat?
    I think we're too small a country to have a decent media sector and all the Denis O'Brien/Carr communications stuff that's been out lately makes me really think it's all spin anyway. In term's of entertainment there's nowt but ****e on RTE or TV3, so i get everything online. Anyone else now bypass the traditional Irish meeja?

dont understand the question but yeah i tink its hard to get good news in ireland usualy im asleep during rte news ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Unfortunately the likes of Joe Duffy, Primetime and the Late Late Show often cover topics which then get a lot of public attention and then end up being targetted by politicans for cheap kudos. So there is a certain relevance, though not the same type of relevance you were asking about in the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Gee Bag wrote: »
    I'm the exact opposite, I form all my opinions on important geopolitical issues based solely on the Sunday Independent and V.I.P. magazine.

Thats it... the country is screwed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bridie from Clonakilty is a revered war correspondant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

I suppose that a certain amount of the news that i get might originate with a traditional media or be covered simultaneously. I suppose i'm asking two things, is traditional media dying in Ireland (how many people no longer use it?) and if that is the case is it to some degree because it's largely become toothless?

I know we live in a small country, but the Carr communications thing has been a bit of a shock to me. That the co-owner of a media company that works so much with politicians can be chairman of the RTE board is nuts! Now maybe he's a genuine guy but i think the situation stinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    So you get all your content for free and you're still giving out?

Hardly, he'll still be paying for his TV license, regardless whether he owns a tv or not.

• Advertisement

I haven't bought a newspaper in several years. I rarely watch news on TV except when there is a major news event. Watching what being discussed on boards.ie lets me decide if I need to go online. Sickipedia is deffo the best source of news analysis ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

RTE is the biggest heap of **** and the biggest waste of money ever!
    This is the best the country can do? Seriously?
    Look at English television;
    Alan Car and Graham Norton(even he fled off to England) destroy that Craig Doyle ****e and don't get me started on the late late.

I swear Irish television has zero respect or relevancy in the eyes of young people like me.
    It's totally disconnected and boring from what's mainstream. It's like it's stuck back in the 60s sometimes and reeling in the years doesn't help get it out!

/end rant:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

krudler wrote: »
    Bridie from Clonakilty is a revered war correspondant.

Angie's sister? To be sure. I hear she embedded in Syria at the minute, along with John Joe Patsy Tim O Brien (the son) from Mullinamuck.

Advertisement